Holley Carb for 4.2L w/ 4.0L head - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Holley Carb for 4.2L w/ 4.0L head

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Plyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Holley Carb for 4.2L w/ 4.0L head

First... thanks for all the great help in the past.
So... I have a 4.2L block & 4.0L head, GM HEI dizzi, TH700-R trans, Weber 32/36 DGEV carb.
I previously had a MC 2100 (which ran very well) but swapped it for the Weber which has always been a witch (has to have perfect timing, perfect humidity, perfect air, etc)... very finicky about settings, moisture, etc.

I'm thinking about a Holley carb. I've heard they were very reliable, easier to adjust than the MC, and very rugged. Opinions anyone??? And where can I get this carb??

Plyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the only one that i know of that bolts to the jeep intake is the older holleys form the 70s and 80s dodges. its a 2100 series holley. if you ahd good luck with the mc, why did you pull it?

i only know of hte holley because i have one i am about to put on my 87 wrangler. i currently have the weber 34 which is not so hot. i love hte 32/36 though
Unread 06-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The Holley 350cfm 2bbl carb is the perfect match for the 4.2 IMO.
Once I got it set up correctly, I rarely have to adjust it.
It would be good to try and find a way to keep outside air going into it.
I have one of the K&N open element filters and am working on a factory looking cold air kit.
I think it will be beneficial.
Be sure to visit Holley's web site in thier techincal library.
They have many helpful tips on figuring out how to tune it for a motor.
I also have a link in my signature to what I did tuning mine.
It shouldn't be hard to find one.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Plyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I did like the MC 2100 for the first 6-8 months then it started to idle poorly and stumbled on acceleration and the (electric) choke never worked properly (a common problem with these, apparently). I putz with it for a few months and finally started to rebuild it. During the rebuild, I found that the points of the idle adjust screws had, somehow, gotten eaten away (or were that way when I received it??). I figured that 8 months between rebuilds was not something I wanted to do... thus the Weber... and now a Holley?? The only thing left would be TBI but $2K+ buys a good deal of beer.

Thanks for the info on the Holley... I'll look into it.
Plyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plyj View Post
First... thanks for all the great help in the past.
So... I have a 4.2L block & 4.0L head, GM HEI dizzi, TH700-R trans, Weber 32/36 DGEV carb.
I previously had a MC 2100 (which ran very well) but swapped it for the Weber which has always been a witch (has to have perfect timing, perfect humidity, perfect air, etc)... very finicky about settings, moisture, etc.

I'm thinking about a Holley carb. I've heard they were very reliable, easier to adjust than the MC, and very rugged. Opinions anyone??? And where can I get this carb??
wow, I can't believe you had that much trouble with the 32/36. My Weber runs great. It's been near 100% humidity here for weeks and I never noticed a difference at all. Have you checked out the tuning thread for any advice? The Holley sounds nice though, just hate to see anyone give up on an MC AND a Weber.

Tags
carburetor , holley

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.