Holley Carb for 4.2L w/ 4.0L head - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Holley Carb for 4.2L w/ 4.0L head

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
Plyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Holley Carb for 4.2L w/ 4.0L head

First... thanks for all the great help in the past.
So... I have a 4.2L block & 4.0L head, GM HEI dizzi, TH700-R trans, Weber 32/36 DGEV carb.
I previously had a MC 2100 (which ran very well) but swapped it for the Weber which has always been a witch (has to have perfect timing, perfect humidity, perfect air, etc)... very finicky about settings, moisture, etc.

I'm thinking about a Holley carb. I've heard they were very reliable, easier to adjust than the MC, and very rugged. Opinions anyone??? And where can I get this carb??

Plyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the only one that i know of that bolts to the jeep intake is the older holleys form the 70s and 80s dodges. its a 2100 series holley. if you ahd good luck with the mc, why did you pull it?

i only know of hte holley because i have one i am about to put on my 87 wrangler. i currently have the weber 34 which is not so hot. i love hte 32/36 though
Unread 06-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The Holley 350cfm 2bbl carb is the perfect match for the 4.2 IMO.
Once I got it set up correctly, I rarely have to adjust it.
It would be good to try and find a way to keep outside air going into it.
I have one of the K&N open element filters and am working on a factory looking cold air kit.
I think it will be beneficial.
Be sure to visit Holley's web site in thier techincal library.
They have many helpful tips on figuring out how to tune it for a motor.
I also have a link in my signature to what I did tuning mine.
It shouldn't be hard to find one.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
Plyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I did like the MC 2100 for the first 6-8 months then it started to idle poorly and stumbled on acceleration and the (electric) choke never worked properly (a common problem with these, apparently). I putz with it for a few months and finally started to rebuild it. During the rebuild, I found that the points of the idle adjust screws had, somehow, gotten eaten away (or were that way when I received it??). I figured that 8 months between rebuilds was not something I wanted to do... thus the Weber... and now a Holley?? The only thing left would be TBI but $2K+ buys a good deal of beer.

Thanks for the info on the Holley... I'll look into it.
Plyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plyj View Post
First... thanks for all the great help in the past.
So... I have a 4.2L block & 4.0L head, GM HEI dizzi, TH700-R trans, Weber 32/36 DGEV carb.
I previously had a MC 2100 (which ran very well) but swapped it for the Weber which has always been a witch (has to have perfect timing, perfect humidity, perfect air, etc)... very finicky about settings, moisture, etc.

I'm thinking about a Holley carb. I've heard they were very reliable, easier to adjust than the MC, and very rugged. Opinions anyone??? And where can I get this carb??
wow, I can't believe you had that much trouble with the 32/36. My Weber runs great. It's been near 100% humidity here for weeks and I never noticed a difference at all. Have you checked out the tuning thread for any advice? The Holley sounds nice though, just hate to see anyone give up on an MC AND a Weber.

Tags
carburetor , holley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.