Holley 4 barrel carb question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Holley 4 barrel carb question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 02-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
lidlitalian
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Holley 4 barrel carb question

Hey guys,

87 yj
4.2 to 4.0 head conversion
nuttered
32/36 weber

I was looking to swap my carb for a holley 4 barrel to add some performance/hp/5th gear.

Found one on craigs guy says its a holley 4 barrel 750. Can I make this work if I get the clifford intakeor?

Dont know much about this carb.

Thx in advance.

lidlitalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
SeanB95YJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't been into carbs in quite a while, but I'd bet a 750 is way too much carb for a 4.2.... years ago I had a 79 Olds Cutlass with a pretty well worked 350 (swap) that I got with a 750... couldn't get it to idle worth anything and would seem to bog down when opened up. swapped the carb for a 650 and brought that sucker to life - no other changes than the smaller carb.

for a 4.2, I'd look more in the 550-600 range
Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
swap/build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...hread-1542284/
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
hypernoodle
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'd go even smaller.

I'm running a 450 CFM on my 4.5l stroker, and I had to dial the thing WAY back to make it work. If it was any bigger, I doubt I'd be able to get it working well at all.
hypernoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

X3 on way to big. I run a holley 390, its about perfect. before I ran a 450, it was a little to much.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
lidlitalian
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That answers that.

Thx guys!
Unread 02-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
lidlitalian
1987 YJ Wrangler 

roadyrob, so u recommend the Holley 390? Can you please explain your setup? Assuming I will need a different intake or adapter. What are the gains etc?
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have an offenhauser single plane manifold, its simuliar to the clifford. like stated the holley 390. a HEI distributor from crt. the motor has been rebuilt, mild cam, head milled 10,000ths to up compression to 9.3. head casting cleaned up and port matched. balanced. 2 1/2" magnaflow cat and muffler. I haven't had it dynoed but power is way up. I can beat stock 4.0's easily.

Unread 02-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
uptillnow

I think the stock Jeep two barrel manifold with a Weber 38-DGES works very well.
These engines are low RPM torque engines. Stump pullers and when the intake ports are enlarged along with large CFM carburetors you will lose most of that unique Jeep torque. Bigger is not always better (sometimes).
My two cents, worth exactly what you paid for it.
UPTILLNOW
uptillnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I ran a weber 32-36 before the holley, it wasn't close to the holley. the 390 holley isn't much bigger than the 38, then add in a much better manifold with the offenhauser.

Unread 02-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
uptillnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
I ran a weber 32-36 before the holley, it wasn't close to the holley. the 390 holley isn't much bigger than the 38, then add in a much better manifold with the offenhauser.
If you want bigger that will work and many claim great results.
The 32/36 Weber is an economy carburetor at best!
The original carburetors are the Carter BBD, which has two barrels that open at the same time, they are about 1 1/2" in in diameter, the Motorcraft MC2100 has the same two barrels opening at the same time and about the same size, the Weber 38-DGES is 38mm throttle plates both opening at the same time and a point of interest all of these are the stock size carburetors.
What I am pointing out is the 32/36 Weber has ONE 32mm barrel running the engine until 1/2 throttle then the 36mm barrel starts to open. This is great if you are just cruising down a highway or down to get groceries but certainly not in the same class as the Holley, Carter BBD, Motorcraft 2100 or the Weber 38-DGES.
Again, if you want bigger this is your choice but any of the fore-mentioned are of the original Jeep size, not the 32/36 DGEV, sorry if I sound like I am on a RANT, I don't want anyone to think the 32/36 is in anyway for any performance, it is just an economy replqacement.
Flame suit on, go ahead.
UPTILLNOW
uptillnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i have a 450 holley from an old 60s gt mustang. works great. if i would have bought a 390 cfm, that would have probably worked also but the 450 is what i found.

don't forget to use your vacuum gauge to get it set right. its worth it to read and learn how use one on a carb'd vehicle.

"Just because something isn't a lie does not mean that it isn't deceptive. A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction". --I am not sure who said this but it properly describes our president.
superj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptillnow View Post
If you want bigger that will work and many claim great results.
The 32/36 Weber is an economy carburetor at best!
The original carburetors are the Carter BBD, which has two barrels that open at the same time, they are about 1 1/2" in in diameter, the Motorcraft MC2100 has the same two barrels opening at the same time and about the same size, the Weber 38-DGES is 38mm throttle plates both opening at the same time and a point of interest all of these are the stock size carburetors.
What I am pointing out is the 32/36 Weber has ONE 32mm barrel running the engine until 1/2 throttle then the 36mm barrel starts to open. This is great if you are just cruising down a highway or down to get groceries but certainly not in the same class as the Holley, Carter BBD, Motorcraft 2100 or the Weber 38-DGES.
Again, if you want bigger this is your choice but any of the fore-mentioned are of the original Jeep size, not the 32/36 DGEV, sorry if I sound like I am on a RANT, I don't want anyone to think the 32/36 is in anyway for any performance, it is just an economy replqacement.
Flame suit on, go ahead.
UPTILLNOW
actually 32-36 wasn't very good at economy either.
as the weber 38 is 380 cfm and the holley is 390 they are pretty close in size, the nice thing about the holley is I can putt around town on 2 barrels then kick the other 2 in when I want power. I get decent gas mileage (about 15 in town) and plenty of power when I want it. its a win win for me.

Unread 02-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #13
hypernoodle
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My 4-barrel 450 and Offy manifold work great on my stroker. It's the off-road series carb, with a HUGE float tank on either side. I've had the Jeep near sideways many times and it does just fine.
hypernoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.