Hole in the chassis? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hole in the chassis?

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Anghil
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hole in the chassis?

I've had my jeep for over a year now and I've had this problem for just as long. Every time it rains water leaks in and a puddle builds at the drivers feet. I suspect this is what caused the installed radio to short. I finally got a new radio and want to install it. But before I do I want to make sure to fix the leak issue. I've looked around the inside and out and can't seem to see where the problem is. I've even sat in the jeep as it's raining to determine the location of the problem. Is this common for a YJ or do I just need to keep looking?

Anghil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
SpikesHD
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Lean on the drivers side of the hood and look at the bottom of the windshield frame.
See the foam gasket sticking out right there? Poke it with your finger and see how water could get in if it ran down the windshield and through a crack in that gasket.

The gaskets aren't that expensive and maybe an hour to replace.
Unread 09-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
Anghil
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I may be in luck. I just had my windshield replaced along with the gasket. Time to make some rain to test it. Thanks!
Anghil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Have you looked at the YJ FAQ's?
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
d-dub
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did you check the drain tube (1 1/2 diameter) in the engine compartment-fire wall, with a "duck bill" closure at the bottom of it? This was plugged and caused water to leak onto my feet every time it rained. This is the drain for the fresh air intake between your hood and windshield.
d-dub is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.