Got the rest of the body work and paint done today. Looks pretty sharp for 5 hours worth of work! I didn't really get crazy with making things perfect and there are still a ton of imperfections that I didn't bother with, but it looks good from a few feet away which is perfect. It only has to hold up for a couple months until I get her armored up.
Oh and I shaved all the old decals/stickers off. After today, no one would recognize her as the "PO's JEEP," she's fully mine now. It's a proud day!
At least now I can drive it around with a little bit of pride until then. The paint still isn't a perfect match in shade, but I think it may get a bit better (the first stuff I tried on the 'cloaks did) after a few weeks out in the sun.
The POs failed TJ filler mod...
Lightweight bondo applied and sanded...
The paint I tried this time...expensive buggers ha! About $7.00 a can. I used 1 can of primer, 3 cans of paint, and 2 cans of clear....I would say the can lies. It's not a perfect
match, it's a close
match, although it may have perfectly matched 20 years ago when the rest of the paint on the YJ was new. Who knows?
Masked and primed and first coat of paint.
My method of painting was something like; 2 coats of light primer, wet sand with 220 grit, 2 light coats primer, wet sand with 220 grit. 2 light coats of paint, wet sand with 600 grit, 2 light coats of paint, wet sand with 600 grit, 1 coat of paint, wet sand with 1000grit. 2 light coats of clear, wet sand with 1000 grit, 2 light coats of clear, wet sand with 1000 grit, 1 coat clear, wet sand with 2000 grit. Turned out pretty good for a total of maybe 1.5 hours of painting/sanding.
To do the "2 light coats" I simply went around and sprayed a pretty light coat of paint or primer and by the time I made one pass around, the other side had tacked up enough to hit it again with another coat. After that I waited about 15 minutes until it was dry to the touch, hit it quickly with some water and sand paper, and then repeated the process.
Anyways, back to the pics!
Masking removed and Jeep hosed down and washed with some soapy water. The inside was crazy full of dust so I sprayed all that out too. Gotta love having vinyl seats and a lined tub!
And finally, with the doors back on and my new decals put on (finally! They've been sitting in my drawer for like 3 months haha!)
Tomorrow the work begins anew! Radiator has to be put in, soundbar, center console, LED dash lights, rear seat and seat belt install. And that will finally eat up all the parts/projects that I currently have laying around, (well except for the 8.8 but I'm waiting on parts