Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread

Black Rhino Off Road Wheels + Free ShippingThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Closed Thread
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:42 AM   #106
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Subed!

Unread 04-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #107
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Man the jeep is coming along. That 8.8 hopefully will be much better then the 35. Looks great nice work
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #108
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ
Man that looks so clean! I'm the same way about cosmetics! Lol it's minor and my paint has its fair share of Arizona pinstriping, and as much as I love playing in the dirt and mud, I'm anal about keeping it clean. I paint everything on and underneath and keep the interior as clean as possible. It makes it look like you care about your jeep and not just beat the hell out of it. Lady on the streets and a freak in the sheets... Or in the dirt... Haha
The mud doesn't even last a day on my rig unless I plan on wheeling again the next day, I much rather drive my jeep clean then dirty. Lol

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
Unread 04-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #109
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not much has been going on the last few weeks. Things have been pretty stressful and in my down time I've been helping one of my good friends with his JKU so the YJ hasn't got much love from me. In fact I wheeled it a bit yesterday (just a light duty dirt/rut trail up into the mountains,) and she let me know she doesn't like me cheating on her with another jeep by throwing a temper tantrum and spewing coolant all over the place! Busted the plug welds that connect the radiator to the mounting bracket. Fixed it up with some heavy duty zip ties haha. Now my swaybars, break lines, radiator, coolant overflow, and rear speakers are all held together with zip ties. Cause, you know, I like to keep it classy.

Other than having fun with it, not much has happened. This coming weekend I plan on digging into the 8.8 and getting it prepped. I should have the time to finally install my sound bar and security console as well. But before all that, I plan on flushing my cooling system, checking my water pump/thermostat, and making a trip to a JY to find a Taurus fan. I don't want to risk overheating again! Oh and my disk breaks are squeaking bad now...guess it's time for new pads.

It's never ending haha. Part of the fun of driving and wheeling a 20 year old YJ

Cheers

EDIT: A few pics as promised
Driving up...really bad wash board road at the beginning. Like those highway rumble strips on steroids.

Giving my baby some love while the JKs pose...

Justin decided to mess around while I was letting the YJ settle down after her fit.

Then he got owned by this rock...He was digging with his back tires and spinning the front till it was smoking with out budging. It smelled a lot like lockers coming down the pipe...

Got back on the trail with an awesome zip-tie trail fix, and made it to the summit. Great views!

And the way down

Ta-da! Pictures!
Unread 04-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #110
robski85

2012 JK Wrangler 

Hmmmm can't seem to get the pics to upload. I'll get them up later. Got some pretty great scenic shots. I'll figure this out and add them in a bit.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

I think I have a pic or two..

Fun times yesterday
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #111
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Grab a Volvo control relay and Saab housing for the taurus fan as well. Ill link my thread on that install. I used a Porsche 944 fan switch to compete the set up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...cheap-1325896/
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #112
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
Grab a Volvo control relay and Saab housing for the taurus fan as well. Ill link my thread on that install. I used a Porsche 944 fan switch to compete the set up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...cheap-1325896/
Thanks! I'm curious if I can use the gear I already have. My current electric fan is run to a relay with an inline fuse and has a temp sensor set up so the fan only kicks on at a certain temp. Its just a pretty weak as$ fan so it doesn't move a lot of air. I think rigging up some kind of shroud would also help force it to draw air through the rad rather than just pulling air from around the engine bay....

Thanks for the link. I think the next few projects are going to be all about getting it more reliable as a DD and improving its streetability.

Cheers
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #113
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The volvo/Saab/Porsche set up allows you to run the high and low setting on ths taurus fan automatically as the engine demands. Or you can skip the Saab/Porsche parts and incorporate the volvo relay in and wire the high speed trigger to a switch to manually bump up the speed as needed.
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #114
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
The volvo/Saab/Porsche set up allows you to run the high and low setting on ths taurus fan automatically as the engine demands. Or you can skip the Saab/Porsche parts and incorporate the volvo relay in and wire the high speed trigger to a switch to manually bump up the speed as needed.
Gotcha. Wasn't able to make it to the JY this week since things were pretty hectic. I found out the hard way last time that they won't let children in, even with an adult, so I'll have to wait to make it back out there until my daughter is with a grandparent.

Pretty excited to do that mod though^^^
I've also decided that a Poison Spyder hood louver is also up there on the priority list. I really don't want to over heat her again, especially later this summer when the temps top the 100s.

Tomorrow I should finally get around to all the "little" things that haven't got done yet; sound bar, console, shaving off those decals, LED gauge lights, and seat belts.

Cheers
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #115
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Today I decided to bite the bullet and dig into the Rhino Lining. I've been putting it off due to weather. And then I was putting it off because I started to think that maybe I could just leave it alone. Then I put it off to help my friends with their JKs. Then I put it off because of how "unknown" the results would be. Then I put it off because it's quite the project and my life burned to the ground. Then I ran out of reasons to put it off.

Ha!

So today was the day.
I busted out this stuff

Got everything masked that needed it and used a razor knife to score the Rhino around my masking line.

Covered the tire. From what I read this stuff is nasty and I didn't want any splatter eating through my meats!

From that point I just poured some from the gallon container into a new quart sized paint can. I used a 3", $0.99, chip brush to spread it around. They aren't joking about how crazy this stuff is. I wore some heavy-duty nylon chemical gloves, a paper respirator, and some glasses. Even though it was like 78* out today, I kept a hoodie on with the hood up and the sleeves down. A few times, while dipping the brush in the can, a little fine "mist" came off the brush as I snagged it on the lip of the can, and those fine droplets got on my face and neck. They immediately started to BURN so I had to stop and wash quickly with water. After that I was much more careful.

Anyways, pretty much just slop the stuff on. I found that it works best if you hit it with one light coat, with a fairly dry brush, and about 10 minutes later hit it with a nice, wet, sloppy coat. The first coat kind of tacks up and helps hold more of the stripper to the Jeep. Otherwise I was finding that starting with a thick, wet coat, I was just dripping and oozing all over the place.

I did two coats of the stuff that way, with about 40 minutes between coats.
Here it is after 1 good coat of the stuff;

You can see it starts to really dissolve the outer layer. What eventually happens is it just kind of pops loose from the body. At this point, I just used a putty knife to scrape it off. Some places were still stuck pretty good, but most of it just scraped right off with little effort. Large portions peeled off in sheets!

All in all, it took about 30 minutes a side to paint with the stripper, and I would say about another 20-30 minutes a side to scrape it off. Not really that much work after all! I have quite a bit of filling, sanding, and fairing to do, but nothing crazy big. I should have it filled, sanded, primed and painted tomorrow.

At the end of today. Ready for body work and paint.

This was a much easier job then I was expecting. The aircraft stripper worked great, and I'm sure it saved me hours and hours of grinding and probably close to a hundred bucks in sand paper and grinder discs. Not too shabby!

More tomorrow...

Cheers
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #116
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That is the type of stuff I used on the underside of my tub. Years of grime and crap and that stuff ate right through it. Jeep is looking fantastic. Will defiantly be checking in to see its progress.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #117
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good, why bother with body work if your going to hang armor on it?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #118
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Looks good, why bother with body work if your going to hang armor on it?

I'm not getting crazy with it or anything. The PO did a horrible job of a TJ fuel filler mod, then had to move it back to the stock location when he trimmed the rear wells for the TJ flares. Really thought that one through lol.

Anyways, he had someone tack in a piece to cover the hole he cut in the tub. It's super fugly so I'm going to hit it with a little bondo and smooth it out. I'll get a pic of it tomorrow so you can see what I'm talking about.

There's some other pretty deep gouges in the paint from me scraping as well as from the Rhino Lining guys. I'm just going to hit it with some quick filler, give it all a good sanding with some 150 or something, maybe progress to 300 at the most, prime it, and paint it.

Mostly I just want to hide the worst of it and cover the areas where raw metal is now showing to prevent rust. Clean her up a little and make her presentable at least. I'm not sure how far out the armor will be. Maybe a month, maybe two? Just depends on sorting out my living situation, etc. Money is going to be tight for the next month or two, and I have the 8.8 to get in, a new radiator and Taurus fan to keep it cool, and a spare tire to still pay for (still on back order and won't hit my card till it ships) so I need all my ducks in a row before I drop the cash on armor.

In the meantime, I don't want to be driving a total beater!

Thanks for the compliments.

Cheers
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #119
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good! Wat are the round things in the back on the fender wells under the rollbar? How do you like the new tires? How do they do in the rain on the road?
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #120
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Looks good! Wat are the round things in the back on the fender wells under the rollbar? How do you like the new tires? How do they do in the rain on the road?
Thanks!
Anti-zombie cannons.
Nah, they're 6" bazooka woofers or something like that. They annoy the hell out of me and are going away as soon as I get around to installing the sound bar.

New tires are amazing! I think I wrote about them a few pages back, but to recap, they hook up insanely well in dirt, sand, mud, gravel, and grab rocks like they're made of velcro. Pretty damn quiet on the road (slight hum which is normal for MT tires) and so far in the rain and wet they are great too. No spinning or slipping from a stop or around turns and brake just as well as any other MT I've run.

I won't get to try them in snow until this winter, unless I end up taking a trip up north to the mountains before the snow melts up there...but that's pretty unlikely right now.

I would totally recommend them. I've run 2 sets of Km2's and I like these much better so far. Every time I've been out since I put them on, I try different things in 4h/4L first, then attempt it again in 2h just to see how the tires grab on their own, so I'm really trying to test them out so I can give a real review.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.