Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Closed Thread
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #91
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wen do you plan to remove the bl, looks great IMO!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #92
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Did you happen to take those pics across from Fred Meyer off of Overland. I grew up not far from there, off of Maple grove.
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #93
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Wen do you plan to remove the bl, looks great IMO!

Thanks bud!
It's coming along. I was going to take it off on Saturday, but my buddy that was going to help got tied up with work and it didn't happen. Sunday I was supposed to get it into the 4x4 shop that installed the motor/trans/wiring to get my OD issue fixed, and while I had it in there we were going to take it off then. The shop owner got tied up on another customer's Jeep and bailed out so I didn't get it in...Hopefully sometime this week lol.

Any particular reason you ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Did you happen to take those pics across from Fred Meyer off of Overland. I grew up not far from there, off of Maple grove.
Close; Fred Meyer off Federal Way. I had no idea you were from Boise!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #94
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows
Thanks bud!
It's coming along. I was going to take it off on Saturday, but my buddy that was going to help got tied up with work and it didn't happen. Sunday I was supposed to get it into the 4x4 shop that installed the motor/trans/wiring to get my OD issue fixed, and while I had it in there we were going to take it off then. The shop owner got tied up on another customer's Jeep and bailed out so I didn't get it in...Hopefully sometime this week lol.

Any particular reason you ask?

Close; Fred Meyer off Federal Way. I had no idea you were from Boise!

Cheers
Just can't wait to see you tuck those tires!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #95
robski85

2012 JK Wrangler 

I think we can test out the full flex tomorrow! Get my discos installed and well take a ride out and test all the new goodies out!
robski85 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #96
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Jeeps lookin great with the MC fenders man! I've walked out of the store to my jeep a few times to find people taking pics of my jeep, it's kinda awkward lol.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #97
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Just can't wait to see you tuck those tires!

Me either. I tried really hard today to stuff them as hard as I could, and I'm pretty sure I'd have to shave off my bump stops to do it lol. BL should be off one day this week. Should.... Since it's not something I feel comfortable doing without an extra set of hands, I'm kind of at the mercy of my friends/contacts/whatever. So I'm crossing my fingers cause I want it gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski85 View Post
I think we can test out the full flex tomorrow! Get my discos installed and well take a ride out and test all the new goodies out!
I'm excited. We found a really, really cool trail today. If 8th St isn't open I think we'd like to push even farther down the trail to see how far we can take it. Looks like it goes all the way to Arrowrock. Maybe beyond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
Jeeps lookin great with the MC fenders man! I've walked out of the store to my jeep a few times to find people taking pics of my jeep, it's kinda awkward lol.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Thanks man! Yeah it is kind of weird, but makes me a little proud of all the hard work and hard fought money that I'm putting into it. That's a good feeling.

Cheers
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:55 AM   #98
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

So today I hooked up with a buddy of mine and make the hour drive out the junk yard. Came home with this;

The jokes were flying around about how I finally found a use for that soccer mom JKU. I guess it can haul more than kids! It can haul "real" Jeep parts with all that room. I kept messing with him that my YJ was "all up, deep inside his JK's back end." And that my YJ's massive shafts were all up in his JK's trunk. Pretty funny stuff lol.
Some more pics of the new gear;

It's in really great shape. Not even much rust anywhere on it. To make it even better it ended up being a LSD! Axle tag says 4L10. I'm super excited about that fact as I wanted the LS until I can afford a selectable set up. What a lucky deal! After 4-5 months of searching I finally got what I needed...in spades.

After all that we ended up heading out for some trail wheeling for a few hours. We found some really great places to play, and an awesome, rutty trail with amazing views and overlooks. Had a blast out there! My buddy in the JKU just put on new wheels, tires, a BB, new shocks, and his recovery gear mounting plate, so we both got to test out some new junk. All in all it was a great ride.

Pics for your pleasure;
Found some dirt bike moguls to play on and test out flex-

After playing around on the hills, humps, and ditches, we found a trail to follow. Neither of us knew where it went, but decided to check it out. Ended up leading to an area above a river cut ravine, with the river (and a damn) maybe 400 feet below. Stunning view on an awesome trail. There were some pretty serious ruts and washouts along the way, making things exciting and fun.

Awesome. It looks like the trail continues on and on but it was getting dark and neither of us have any real aux lighting yet so we decided to just back track over the "known" rather than press on into the "unknown" without much light to scout things out ahead. I think we may head back out there tomorrow and see where it leads.

Good day. Really good day.

Cheers
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:58 AM   #99
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lookin stellar man!!

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:07 AM   #100
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm extremely happy with every decision I've made so far in my build. Maybe I would have done a few things in a slightly different order, but every part I've selected and installed so far, I couldn't be happier with.

The OME leafs, BERSK shackles, and Bilstein shocks are amazing. The ride is super smooth. Heading over all the ruts and tore up dirt today, it felt like it was gliding. No jarring, no bouncing, just smooth motion. Everything flexes great and works great together. I feel I made really good choices there.

Today was the first time I took the Crushers off the pavement since I had them put on. And oh god did they perform. In the past I have run KM2s, Cooper STTs, Toyos, and some off brand (first MTs I ever bought, can't quite remember what they were,) and so far, after today, I'm in love with the Crushers. They hooked up in the sand, dust, dirt, and mud unlike any other MT I've run. No spinning or slipping. They just hook up and go. In fact I kept dropping from 4H to 2H just to see if I could break them loose in some of the nastier ruts, and they just pushed and pushed with no problems at all. I would have tried more in 2H but I got worried about putting too much strain on the turdy 5. There wasn't may rocks to play on out there, but the few I crawled over, I really felt like I had better hook up and traction than any of my previous tires. After I get them on some more rocks and on wet rocks, I'll be able to give a more conclusive review, but after today, I would totally recommend them.

I'm extremely happy with the Metalcloaks. Especially after today, and seeing first hand how much extra room I got out of them. They'll allow me to more closely build my Jeep with my ideal compromise in mind; A comfortable (for a YJ!) DD capable of really hanging with the built rigs when wheeled. They'll allow me to keep it a few inches lower which will help calm the rolling ride on the highway as well as keep her a bit more stable when crawling. I'm very, very happy that I was able to include them as part of my build. And besides all that, they just look freaking awesome!

More to come later as I try out more new junk. It's coming along! I still have to get my sound bar and center console put in, and of course, get to work on that 8.8

Cheers
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:10 AM   #101
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
Lookin stellar man!!
Thanks so, so much man.
It's getting there!
BTW you have convinced me to go with the Poison Spyder Crusher corners and 4" rear flares. I've been looking and looking at them, and I'm totally sold. Not next month cause next month will be 8.8 and Aussie, but the following month I think I'll be placing my order for them! And maybe their sliders too....

Lol I have a sickness I think....Maybe we all do haha

Cheers
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:26 AM   #102
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows

Thanks so, so much man.
It's getting there!
BTW you have convinced me to go with the Poison Spyder Crusher corners and 4" rear flares. I've been looking and looking at them, and I'm totally sold. Not next month cause next month will be 8.8 and Aussie, but the following month I think I'll be placing my order for them! And maybe their sliders too....

Lol I have a sickness I think....Maybe we all do haha

Cheers
Haha well glad I could help empower your addiction! Thats the beauty of JF lol. Awesome to see you found your perfect 8.8 for a good price, all your patience has paid off!

Good things happen to good people, but everyone goes through their hardships and the best of them make it just another opportunity. Seems good things are still making their way into your hands

My Build Thread
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #103
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Haha well glad I could help empower your addiction! Thats the beauty of JF lol. Awesome to see you found your perfect 8.8 for a good price, all your patience has paid off!

Good things happen to good people, but everyone goes through their hardships and the best of them make it just another opportunity. Seems good things are still making their way into your hands
Thanks man. The JF community, the YJ regulars in particular, have been a huge help, not only with figuring out all this sh*t, but with getting through my life over the past few weeks. Even though I haven't met any of ya in person, it still feels like a tight knit community in the square eye land. The support both for my Jeep, and for my own self, has been amazing!

And so we're not talking back and forth in two separate threads haha....
Quote:
What might look cool is if u painted over the black on your angry eyes with white and made em blend with the grill!!
It would look really good! But if you remember, I'll be getting rid of that black Rhino and getting her back to all white sans the grill, which I'll do matte black (I really like that look.) Like this PS mock up....

In fact, I called Maaco today and it'll only be around $200-$300 to have them shoot everything in fresh base/clear coat. After I get the Rhino off, I'll prep it all myself, and drop her off for some new color. I don't care if the job is that great since she'll see plenty of off road use, but a fresh coat wont hurt. And it'll just look better than a rattle can job for not much more $$$.

In fact I was thinking today, that when I do order the PSC Crusher corners, I'll probably just drop them off and have them shoot them with some white paint too lol. I'll probably do the corners white to match the body, and the rear flares black to keep it clean looking. Maybe paint the bolts/hardware black or something to give it a little accent or something. I know it's just dumb cosmetic stuff, but once I'm done I want to have a Jeep that looks almost as nice as she performs.

Something like that anyways haha.

Cheers
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:53 AM   #104
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Man that looks so clean! I'm the same way about cosmetics! Lol it's minor and my paint has its fair share of Arizona pinstriping, and as much as I love playing in the dirt and mud, I'm anal about keeping it clean. I paint everything on and underneath and keep the interior as clean as possible. It makes it look like you care about your jeep and not just beat the hell out of it. Lady on the streets and a freak in the sheets... Or in the dirt... Haha

My Build Thread
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:24 AM   #105
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Man that looks so clean!
Right? I know it's pretty "superficial" to care about that when we regularly punish the Jeeps on the trail, but I love the "clean" look. It'll look 10,000 times better once I get it all uniform again.

Quote:
I'm the same way about cosmetics! Lol it's minor and my paint has its fair share of Arizona pinstriping, and as much as I love playing in the dirt and mud, I'm anal about keeping it clean. I paint everything on and underneath and keep the interior as clean as possible. It makes it look like you care about your jeep and not just beat the hell out of it.
Yup, me too. I usually display the mud and junk for a few days after getting her nice and dirty, then give it a good cleaning. She doesn't have to look her age. Trail rash isn't so bad, but you can still take pride in keeping it as nice as you can. At least I take pride in it....

Quote:
Lady on the streets and a freak in the sheets... Or in the dirt... Haha
AMEN!!!

Cheers
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.