Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Closed Thread
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #76
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
Awesome job on the jeep so far! You've done a good job at picking quality parts for our rig, (OME leafs, Bilstein shocks, SYE...). I run OME leafs and 1/2 shackles for about 3" of lift on 35s on my YJ, I love this setup! It's super stable offroad and handles Better on the hyw then stock. I did have to do quite a bit of trimming to the fenders but I also have 2" of stretch in the rear so you wouldn't have to cut as much...
Thanks for the props! I've made sure to do as much research as I can before spending any money on parts to make sure I'm getting quality parts, and the most bang for my buck. Thanks!

Your Jeep is so sick. I've seen your pics in a few threads, and you are one of the reasons I knew I would be able to make the OME lift work with 35s. How did you stretch it using the 36rs? I may be interested in doing that to my own rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW
I see your having trouble finding an 8.8. How many 97-02 jeep XJ's are in your area? They have a 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 rear axle, it's plenty strong for 35" tires and can be had for free-$100. They do have drum brakes but you can swap ZJ disk on it. I run this axle with 4.56, Detroit locker, disks and its held up to some hard wheeling/heavy pedal. It's a extremely under rated axle and is as strong as a D44 for a fraction of the price of a D44 or 8.8. Just a thought if you can't find a 8.8.

Here's a pic of my rig to give you an idea of what your rig will look like with no BL. OME 36R leafs, half inch shackles, 35s and lots of trimming. 96" wheelbase.

Do all 97-02 XJs have the 8.25? Is the aftermarket support decent enough for it (shafts, gears, lockers, etc?). How much different is it to set up than the 8.8? And lastly, did they come with 4.10s, and if so, what codes do I want to look for? I remember reading your profile at some point and saw you had the 8.25, but haven't heard of anyone else running it in their YJ so my knowledge of them is pretty damn low.

The problem I'm having isn't finding an 8.8, it's finding an 8.8 with the right gears, as paying for a regear isn't in my budget at this point. But if I could find an 8.25 I would totally jump on it! Anything will be better than the land mine I'm running right now!

Thanks again for the support and sharing the pics. I always love lookin at your Jeep.

Cheers

Unread 04-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #77
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows

I'll send you the whole thing lol. PM your address and I'll ship it to you as soon as I get it out. You can cut it to whatever size ya want then

Cheers
Pm on its way!

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #78
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You might consider a mml rather than the tc drop to help correct the pinion angle. All tho with out the bl you might need to persuade the tranny tunnel back a little. Just a thought!

[]||||[]
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
Unread 04-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #79
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Your Jeep is so sick. I've seen your pics in a few threads, and you are one of the reasons I knew I would be able to make the OME lift work with 35s. How did you stretch it using the 36rs? I may be interested in doing that to my own rig.

I have offset center pin holes in my spring perches. See here how there's three different holes for the spring center pin. You just use the furthest one back...
image-3717624212.jpg

Do all 97-02 XJs have the 8.25? Is the aftermarket support decent enough for it (shafts, gears, lockers, etc?). How much different is it to set up than the 8.8? And lastly, did they come with 4.10s, and if so, what codes do I want to look for? I remember reading your profile at some point and saw you had the 8.25, but haven't heard of anyone else running it in their YJ so my knowledge of them is pretty damn low.

The problem I'm having isn't finding an 8.8, it's finding an 8.8 with the right gears, as paying for a regear isn't in my budget at this point. But if I could find an 8.25 I would totally jump on it! Anything will be better than the land mine I'm running right now!

Thanks again for the support and sharing the pics. I always love lookin at your Jeep.

Cheers
No problem! Well it's will be somewhat tricky to find one with 4.10s depending on how big your supply of junked XJ's is. You will need to find a 97+ 4cyl Xj without ABS, that axle will have 4.10s. Xj's did come with the dana 35 rear axle also so you just need to make sure your getting the right axle, there very easy to tell apart...

As far as putting one in a YJ, I think there are two people on this forum that run it, Me and one other person (can't remember his name). Th aftermarket for it was pretty bad up until about 5 years ago so that's why everyone says they have bad aftermarket support. The truth is you can get just about anything now for them now. Aussie, Spartan, Lock right, Detroit locker or LSD, stronger axle shafts, up to 4.88 gears, ext.... They are the exact same amount of work to install in a YJ as a 8.8 is, they actually have less brackets to cut off. The nice thing about them is you don't need a flange adapter for your drive shaft and they are the exact same width as your Dana 30...

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #80
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No problem! Well it's will be somewhat tricky to find one with 4.10s depending on how big your supply of junked XJ's is. You will need to find a 97+ 4cyl Xj without ABS, that axle will have 4.10s. Xj's did come with the dana 35 rear axle also so you just need to make sure your getting the right axle, there very easy to tell apart...

As far as putting one in a YJ, I think there are two people on this forum that run it, Me and one other person (can't remember his name). Th aftermarket for it was pretty bad up until about 5 years ago so that's why everyone says they have bad aftermarket support. The truth is you can get just about anything now for them now. Aussie, Spartan, Lock right, Detroit locker or LSD, stronger axle shafts, up to 4.88 gears, ext.... They are the exact same amount of work to install in a YJ as a 8.8 is, they actually have less brackets to cut off. The nice thing about them is you don't need a flange adapter for your drive shaft and they are the exact same width as your Dana 30...

Thanks again. That looks like an easy way to add an inch or two of stretch. I will absolutely be looking into that when I swap my rear end!

Just looked at car-parts.com (my local pick and pull doesn't list things, but the "they pull it" yards do.) and found this;

Rear Axle
Jeep Cherokee 4.10 ratio $350 North Verde Auto Salvage USA-OR(Ontario) Request_Quote 800-772-1648 Request_Insurance_Quote

I've bought some Jeep parts from the before (they are about an hour drive away) and I think I could talk them down maybe $50-$75 on the price....
And even if I can't, that's $200 less than the only 8.8 I've found with 4.10s, and about $800 less then a re-gear.... It's from a 1994 though. Will that work?

And lastly, I've never done an axle swap. Do you know of any write ups for the 8.25?

Cheers
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #81
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks again. That looks like an easy way to add an inch or two of stretch. I will absolutely be looking into that when I swap my rear end!

Just looked at car-parts.com (my local pick and pull doesn't list things, but the "they pull it" yards do.) and found this;

Rear Axle
Jeep Cherokee 4.10 ratio $350 North Verde Auto Salvage USA-OR(Ontario) Request_Quote 800-772-1648 Request_Insurance_Quote

I've bought some Jeep parts from the before (they are about an hour drive away) and I think I could talk them down maybe $50-$75 on the price....
And even if I can't, that's $200 less than the only 8.8 I've found with 4.10s, and about $800 less then a re-gear.... It's from a 1994 though. Will that work?

And lastly, I've never done an axle swap. Do you know of any write ups for the 8.25?

Cheers
That axle will work but its only a 27 spline model which is only slightly stronger then the dana 35. When I say 27 and 29 spline I'm talking the spline count on the axle shafts and the extra two splines on the 29 spline model make a big difference on strength. You can convert the 27 spline axle to a 29 and all you need to do it are 29 axle shafts and 29 spline side gears and its very easy to do. I have the 29 spline axle shafts if you wanted to do that but it would be much easier to find one that is already from a 97+ xj that would be 29 spline.

The axle swap for the C8.25 and 8.8 are pretty much the same so you could just go by a 8.8 writeup or heres the build thread I made when I did my first C8.25 install.... Let me know if you have any questions!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/8...-swap-1418799/

Unread 04-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #82
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That axle will work but its only a 27 spline model which is only slightly stronger then the dana 35. When I say 27 and 29 spline I'm talking the spline count on the axle shafts and the extra two splines on the 29 spline model make a big difference on strength. You can convert the 27 spline axle to a 29 and all you need to do it are 29 axle shafts and 29 spline side gears and its very easy to do. I have the 29 spline axle shafts if you wanted to do that but it would be much easier to find one that is already from a 97+ xj that would be 29 spline.

The axle swap for the C8.25 and 8.8 are pretty much the same so you could just go by a 8.8 writeup or heres the build thread I made when I did my first C8.25 install.... Let me know if you have any questions!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/8...-swap-1418799/

Guess I better do some more reading on the 8.25 then. At least enough to know what I'm looking for. Thanks again bud! Huge help.

At least now, if nothing else, I have two options to look for!

Cheers

EDIT: So after talking with you, I called a handful of yards. No one has the 8.25 with the 29 splines, or an 8.8 with 4.10s. Called one last yard that is about an hour drive away, and BAM! They just today, got in an 8.8 with 4.10s in a 96 Explorer (yay disc breaks!). They want $250 for it, which for a "they pull it" yard ain't bad (my local PP wants $190 for axles. I'll spend the extra $60 to just drive up and throw it in the back of a truck haha!). It's about freaking time! Off handedly, I asked them about the 8.25, and they had one out of a 99 XJ with 4.10s but they want $400.00 for that! Guy told me they are more rare and really hard to find so that's why they are so expensive.

Anyways, found my axle finally! Only took almost 5 months of looking lol. Woot!

Cheers
Unread 04-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #83
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Guess I better do some more reading on the 8.25 then. At least enough to know what I'm looking for. Thanks again bud! Huge help.

At least now, if nothing else, I have two options to look for!

Cheers

EDIT: So after talking with you, I called a handful of yards. No one has the 8.25 with the 29 splines, or an 8.8 with 4.10s. Called one last yard that is about an hour drive away, and BAM! They just today, got in an 8.8 with 4.10s in a 96 Explorer (yay disc breaks!). They want $250 for it, which for a "they pull it" yard ain't bad (my local PP wants $190 for axles. I'll spend the extra $60 to just drive up and throw it in the back of a truck haha!). It's about freaking time! Off handedly, I asked them about the 8.25, and they had one out of a 99 XJ with 4.10s but they want $400.00 for that! Guy told me they are more rare and really hard to find so that's why they are so expensive.

Anyways, found my axle finally! Only took almost 5 months of looking lol. Woot!

Cheers
Awesome man! Glad you found a good axle. You will be happy with the 8.8, and if you decide to go to 37s (you know you will) the strength will be there. Now time to go beat the hell outta your dana 35 and see if it will budge lol.

Unread 04-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #84
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Awesome man! Glad you found a good axle. You will be happy with the 8.8, and if you decide to go to 37s (you know you will) the strength will be there. Now time to go beat the hell outta your dana 35 and see if it will budge lol.

Get it hopping, it'll do more than budge!

Again, glad to hear you found one Sparrows, a bit of good luck finally.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
Unread 04-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #85
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm

Crack. Snappel, pop!

[]||||[]

Unread 04-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #86
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks! Once I have it sitting at my house and nearly ready to put in, I'll beat the hell out of the d35 and see what happens haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post

Thanks. It's about time for a ray of sunshine....
Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Crack. Snappel, pop!

[]||||[]
You know, with my luck, I've been stressing about finding an 8.8, and my 35 will end up being the one that came out of the factory in god mode lol. It'll be the one d35 that would hold up to a big block and 42s haha....

Cheers
Unread 04-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #87
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks! Once I have it sitting at my house and nearly ready to put in, I'll beat the hell out of the d35 and see what happens haha.

Thanks. It's about time for a ray of sunshine....

You know, with my luck, I've been stressing about finding an 8.8, and my 35 will end up being the one that came out of the factory in god mode lol. It'll be the one d35 that would hold up to a big block and 42s haha....

Cheers
Lmao true true!

[]||||[]

Unread 04-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #88
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

When I had my 8.8 sitting in my garage ready to go in, I too decided to go on one last run on 35's and see if it'll blow up. D35 did great. My D30 on the other hand, i snapped a U-joint which in turn snapped the ears off my shaft.

ended up selling the D35 for $150 on CL.

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #89
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ
When I had my 8.8 sitting in my garage ready to go in, I too decided to go on one last run on 35's and see if it'll blow up. D35 did great. My D30 on the other hand, i snapped a U-joint which in turn snapped the ears off my shaft.

ended up selling the D35 for $150 on CL.
I did this on 33s and slightly chipped 3 teeth on one of the spider gears. It was making a popping noise prior to that though. D35 aren't bad axles, they just weren't meant to be used with big tires and heavy wheeling...

Unread 04-22-2013, 01:45 AM   #90
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well it's about damn time I get un-lazy and update this thread!
So as most of you know, my life is kind of mess right now, and so work on the YJ has been sporadic. That's all find and dandy, the only real problem is that, if you remember a few pages back, I ran over my digital camera in a dumb blonde moment. Well since then all my pics have been on the (ex)wife's camera. She took it back. :thumbsdown: And to top it off, the camera on my phone had a nice, huge gouge in it, rendering it useless.

So, yeah, in summation, the last project I completed has pretty much no progress pics. Sorry I have since then, however, got a new phone, and am looking at cameras, so hopefully this doesn't happen again!

Buuuuuuuuut, I did get my 'Cloaks installed!
Pics first;
First one installed

A few things: First, I'm really disappointed in how the white paint turned out. I used Rustolium Automotive Gloss Enamel. Painted up in the garage it looked perfect, but after bringing it out into the daylight and comparing it to my factory white paint, it almost has a "rosey" hue to it. Totally bummed me out. It'll be an easy fix to try a few different paints out to find one that matches better, but still not the result I was hoping for.

Second, I really took my time on the passenger side. Took it easy and went slow, and had no problems. Got everything torn apart and put back together in about 3-3.5 hours or so. That's including taking numerous smoke breaks, food breaks, coffee breaks, break breaks, etc. All in all, a super easy instal!

Drivers side went even quicker since I knew what to expect. I had everything assembled in about 2 hours on that side. I did run into a few hic-ups though. My coolant tank has weird, bent flanges and there is no way to configure it to actually bolt it down to the new inner fender. I ended up just using one bolt and then using zip ties to suspend it and secure it from the grill cross members. It'll work for now, but I think next time I'm at the JY I'll try and find a different bottle to make work. Also, the wiper fluid bottle would no longer fit with the coolant tank. I ended up just unhooking it. I don't exactly need it right now anyways. The tank leaks and my spray nozzles are broken and so I'm not losing anything at the moment. Once I get a new coolant tank figured out, I'll get the wiper fluid tank back in then.

Those were about the only issues I had!
Enough talking, MOAR PICS!!!

So I was driving around the parking lot trying to find something to flex on for a few quick shots and to check it all out. Found this rock and hopped up on it. I had three people stop to take pics in front of it lol! (It was like 11:30 pm too!) Really cracked me up, and also made me love my jeep even more. She's one bad girl and only getting badder! She'll be down right angry once I get the 8.8 in and get her locked up!

So tomorrow I'll be calling the JY to see if they pulled my 8.8 yet. If so, it's off to pick it up.
I'm hoping the sun will be shining tomorrow so I can get the soundbar hooked up and the console bolted down. I haven't felt like doing either of those in the rain. Maybe I can sneak in a quick stretch after that!

Cheers

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.