Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Closed Thread
Unread 04-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #46
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski85 View Post
Looks great man! I'm off in Tuesday so I say we go test it out
Haha sounds good bro! I'm game
We need to do some work to your Jeep on your next days off. Trim up those fender flares if nothing else!

Here's the best side by side, before and after pics I could come up with. Should have thought that out better so I had identical pics to show the difference. Oh well.
Before on top, after on bottom.

Cheers

Unread 04-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #47
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hows the vinyl paint hold up? I want to do my roll-bar. Your jeep looks sweet can't wait to see the 35's.
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #48
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Hows the vinyl paint hold up? I want to do my roll-bar. Your jeep looks sweet can't wait to see the 35's.
Thanks!
4 out of 5 of my tires shipped today (Q-tec only had 4 in stock) so hopefully I can get them on this weekend

On the roll padding it's holding up perfect. I can't scuff it, scratch it, etc. It seemed to really soak in and I expect it to hold up excellent over time.

On my seats it's holding up so-so. I think I didn't prep them well enough (all I did was give them a quick wash with soapy water and a rag then hose them off.) I should have used a scouring pad and a more aggressive cleaner. In a few spots it's flaked just a bit. And I gouged one spot with my keys when they were hanging out of my pocket. I'm 99% sure it's my fault for not prepping it well enough though.

I've tried scratching at it and rubbing it pretty hard with a rough cloth (Carhard duck cloth) and in most spots it doesn't even phase it. In a few other "high wear" areas it flakes the paint just a bit. I'll take a pic to better explain tomorrow when it's light out. I'm going to scrub it really hard with a scotch brite pad and touch it up and see how that goes. I have about 3/4 of a can left so I figure it's worth a shot.

Cheers
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #49
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I got out and wheeled it for a few hours today to stretch out the new suspension. Everything performed awesome! The ride quality of the OME leafs and Bilstein shocks were unbelievable for a leaf sprung, short wheelbase vehicle. I hammered on it pretty hard over washboards, ruts, humps, bumps, and gravel and it rode amazing. A HUGE improvement over the flat stock springs and massive lift shackles.

In fact in the area we were in, I wasn't even able to max out my flex (up travel or droop!) so I have to say they flex crazy good.
Lot's of pics to share! I went out with a buddy (JF member Robski85) in his '12 JK and my other buddy in his totally stock '09 JKU. Had a lot of fun. Cheers guys

Some poser shots and on our way to the rocks;

Little bit 'o rocks and flexin

And a few of the JKs

Pretty fun day!
Here's the link to the rest of the photo album PICS!!!!. I love looking at pics of people's junk so I figured I'd share 'em all.
Cheers
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #50
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looking Good

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #51
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lookin beastly! Nice work

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #52
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Build looks great! I'm coming up this autumn to visit some family and I was told to bring the jeep. I would love to go wheel that with you.
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #53
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage56 View Post
Looking Good
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
Lookin beastly! Nice work
Thanks bud!
I'm not even close to your monster yet though! Buuuuuut I have parts in the mail! My tires should be here Friday or Saturday, so I should have them mounted up this weekend. My 'cloaks are ordered and should ship in another week or so, and by then I'll have a bit more cash and order up some sliders, rear fenders, and a few other goodies.

It's coming along finally! I really am struggling to find an 8.8 though. It's my weak link right now. I keep flirting with the idea of ordering an Aussie right now, but I'm really wanting to hold onto that $250 until I have the 8.8 in, just to make sure I have enough extra cash for any problems that may arise...

But I really want a locker lol

Things are moving forward!

Cheers
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #54
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Build looks great! I'm coming up this autumn to visit some family and I was told to bring the jeep. I would love to go wheel that with you.
You have family up here?
That would be really cool/fun!
Thanks for the compliment Anti. And for help earlier. After talking to you I hosed everything down in PB to let it soak over night.

Anyways, that would be awesome. Stay in touch about it.

Cheers
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #55
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Thanks!

Thanks bud!
I'm not even close to your monster yet though! Buuuuuut I have parts in the mail! My tires should be here Friday or Saturday, so I should have them mounted up this weekend. My 'cloaks are ordered and should ship in another week or so, and by then I'll have a bit more cash and order up some sliders, rear fenders, and a few other goodies.

It's coming along finally! I really am struggling to find an 8.8 though. It's my weak link right now. I keep flirting with the idea of ordering an Aussie right now, but I'm really wanting to hold onto that $250 until I have the 8.8 in, just to make sure I have enough extra cash for any problems that may arise...

But I really want a locker lol

Things are moving forward!

Cheers
Haha i know the feeling! im still sporting the d35 also, but honestly the d30 locker is the best thing to date for offroad performance. Its made me clear obstacles with ease that i would struggle bad on before. i cant believe i didnt do it earlier. Im not saying dont go 8.8 because if i didnt blow up my subaru, id have one in the garage already, but ive been rockin my 33s over a year now and leaving it open is less of a worry. that being said, i always wheel with spare shafts

My Build Thread
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #56
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Haha i know the feeling! im still sporting the d35 also, but honestly the d30 locker is the best thing to date for offroad performance. Its made me clear obstacles with ease that i would struggle bad on before. i cant believe i didnt do it earlier. Im not saying dont go 8.8 because if i didnt blow up my subaru, id have one in the garage already, but ive been rockin my 33s over a year now and leaving it open is less of a worry. that being said, i always wheel with spare shafts
If I wasn't bumping up to 35's and staying on 33s I wouldn't be quite as worried about my d35. I think my YJ has been running 33s on the d35 for quite some time (2-4 years?), not sure exactly how long, but the tires on it are nearly bald at this point, so long enough to grind down a set of MTs...

Just got the tracking info on my tires, four out of five of them will be here Monday. I'm impatient lol!

As soon as I source an 8.8 and get all the pieces together I need for it and slap it in, the next thing I will buy is an Aussie. I'm really hoping I can find an 8.8 with factory LSD as that would be the cheapest way I can get some type of "locker" in the rear. Since I DD it the only other option I'd really have is a selectable, and I just don't have the money to go that route this year...

Thanks for the support guys! WIthout all the cool/helpful/kind/badas$/fun guys of JF I would be totally lost. Can't thank everyone enough!
Cheers
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #57
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've been posting quite a bit in the "What did you do to your YJ today?" thread and just realized I should consolidate all that here, so years from now I can actually look back and have everything in one place. That said, not much has happened in the last few day. Yesterday, Mr. FedEx dropped off my new Stereo Console so I can tuck my deck into it and keep it locked up. I think I'll put my CB in the stock stereo location. I feel like it has a lower chance of being stolen than a cd deck....

Anyways, tons of parts are in the mail. Here's how I'm hoping everything goes down over the next week;

Friday- (Tomorrow) I should be receiving my overhead sound bar and SYE tomorrow. I plan on getting the sound bar and the center console installed then.

Saturday & Sunday- Weather permitting, I think I'm going to strip the black Rhino Lining off the outside of the tub and paint it all white. It's just one of those things that annoys me and I want it gone. I just want it to look a lot cleaner and the Rhino outside the tub just doesn't look right. I'll be heading to the local JY to source an 8.8 as well.

Monday- A lot may happen today! My tires should show up sometime today as well as my Metalcloaks. I'll be heading to a shop to get help with my SYE instal (a local shop is only charging me $50 to assist me in the instal and walk me through it. I figured that's a helluva deal and he said it should only take an hour start to finish!). I'll be dropping off my drive shaft today as well, so as soon as I get the SYE in, I can call in the new length.

Tuesday- Take my tires and have them installed

Wednesday/Thursday- Tackle the Metalcloaks! I'll probably repaint my grill while I have everything torn apart. It's pretty beat up and could use a facelift.

Friday- Payday! Order more parts lol. I should have enough to get some rear Metalcloak flares, and either a new rag top or sliders. I'll see how I feel that day haha!

Well that sums up my next seven days. You know what they say about the best laid plans....

Cheers
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #58
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well today was a pretty productive day. First thing I did was drop my drive shaft off at the drive line shop to get cut and balanced. Then I came how and gave her a bath.

Then my tires showed up!

Got them wedged into the back of the Jeep and headed to get them mounted.

Got my tires mounted and then I headed out to get my SYE installed. A local shop owner charged me a really fair price to walk me through the instal at his shop. I figured having an experienced set of eyes, and shop full of tools, was worth paying a little bit for. All in all it only took about 1.5 hours to get it installed. After that, I drove it 20 miles home in front wheel drive lol.

Because of the hectic time frame I was dealing with today, I didn't get great pics of the new meaty shoes on my 'ol girl. But here's what I have for right now.
Before:

After:

As you can see I don't have the spare yet. Quadratec only had 4 out of the 5 tires I ordered. They sent me the 4 and will ship my spare whenever they get it in stock. Until then I have the eyesore of a non-matching (size) spare.

So my first impressions with the Crushers; On the 20+ miles of highway I drove them on today, the rode really nice! No additional wondering, at street psi they are very smooth riding. They are surprisingly quiet. A slight hum but that's it, and I'm fairly sure that if I had a hardtop on, it would be nearly inaudible. I'm honestly surprised as I half expected them to howl like a pack of wolves. We'll see as they break in.

I arrived home to find my Metalcloaks waiting!

So that was today
Tomorrow I'll call the driveline shop with my new DS measurements. I may have to shim my rear axle a bit more though. I'll see. Then I'm at the mercy of the weather. I really want to dig into the 'cloaks, but I ordered them bare metal, and need to paint them up and it's been way too cold this week to even think about painting. I'm pretty impatient right now! But not so much that I will risk half-as$ing anything. I'm considering scuffing up my clear coat and repainting the whole thing. It has 20 years of rock chips, nicks, and scratches in it, and I may try hitting it with a few coats of decent rattle can paint to give her a bit of a face lift until I can afford something better.

Cheers
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #59
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Man those tires look good!! Jeeps really comin along quickly! I wish I could rattle can touch up my jeep, but that moss green Is a b**ch to touch up. Love it and hate it. Also Can't wait to see the cloaks hooked up! What paint scheme u going with? All white or black? Combo??

My Build Thread
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #60
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Man those tires look good!! Jeeps really comin along quickly! I wish I could rattle can touch up my jeep, but that moss green Is a b**ch to touch up. Love it and hate it. Also Can't wait to see the cloaks hooked up! What paint scheme u going with? All white or black? Combo??
Thanks bro! Things are moving pretty quick right now for sure. It's about to slow down though lol. I'm almost out of cash right now. Luckily, I only have a few "big" purchases left. All the rest I can chip away at after that.

I hope...

I've been fighting with myself over how to paint this one out. I was pretty dead set on Monstalining the whole thing (the black on the rear/rockers is rhino, and it's about the only thing I could coat the whole Jeep in and make it work) but I recently found a few write ups on how to remove the Rhino. I think at this point, in order to save myself a few hundred bucks (thats a locker!) I'm just going to strip off that Rhino, sand the rest of it, and rattle can it a nice semi-gloss white. I'm pretty damn pro with a rattle can and I'm confident that I can get a really nice paint job out of it for under $75.00 total.

So this is my 3rd white Jeep lol. I've decided just to do this one up like my TJ; White body, black flares/bumpers/armor with lime green accents (diff covers/shackles/d-rings/etc.) I liked it on my TJ a lot, and so I'll do it again!

Cheers

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.