Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Closed Thread
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #31
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got a few hours of work in today so far. Everything is going a bit smoother today now that I know what to expect.

Using a bottle jack and a scissor jack, I jacked up the springs and finagled in the first one. Got the U-bolts on and moved to the next side.

Driver's side spring seated and bolted to the axle. No gap!

Walked around to the other side and this is what I saw...

The axle was floating a good 4-5" off the spring. This side was a bit tougher. Ended up just jacking the spring up to meet the axle, and then using a pry bar and some serious wiggling to get it seated. Took a while to get the height of the jack just perfect to make everything line up, but once I did, a little prying/wiggling of the axle/spring and it just popped in.

Victory!

Right as I got the u-bolts tightened up I started jacking the Jeep back up so I could get the tires back on. Right in the middle of that, UPS showed up with my shocks! Guess I can put them in right now. Awesome!

I unpackaged the shocks and got the Jeep set back up to install them, then the rain gods decided to mess my day up. Its raining just enough right now to make everything extra wet and slippery so I'm just going to wait it out. Judging by the looks of things, it should pass in an hour or two and then its back to work. I really hope to have the rears buttoned up and the T-case drop installed by the end of tonight. That way I have all day tomorrow to work on the fronts. From what I've learned in the process, I hope they move much quicker and I can test out the new set up this weekend!

Oh and I got some awesome horsepower in the mail today!

Woot!

Cheers!

Sparrows is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #32
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got the rears finished finally!
Getting the Bilstein's in took a little bit of works. The old shocks took less than 5 minutes to get out but I had to fight the Bilstein's in. They were really stiff compared to the blown out stock shocks, and compressing them enough to get the bottom of them in the shock mount was a serious task. Had to muscle them up, then try and simultaneously hammer/pry them into place. All and all it went really smoothly.

All the new junk fully installed!

After that I had to mess with my floor jack/jack stands to get the Jeep jacked up enough to get the tires back on. Finally got things situated enough to clear the tires and got them reinstalled and lowered it back down. She's standing on her own feet again!

I have MILES of room above the rears now. For those following along, I will be replacing the 2"BL that the PO put on with a Daystar 1" BL so it'll sit about 1" lower than right now. But even 1" lower and running 35's, I'll have plenty of room!

After I had her standing on her feet, I got everything torqued down and called it a night. Started getting dark again, and the rain started to come back. I'm hoping that tomorrow I can get the fronts down. Even if I had all the same problems that I had in the rears, it shouldn't take too long (since I know the best solution to said problems now ) and I can take it for a test drive! Woot!

Oh here's a pic of my DS angle with no t-case drop installed. Any thoughts on whether or not I should try it out without the t-case drop in? Looks pretty steep to me and the slip yoke is extended maybe 3/4"-1" past where it looks like it usually sits.

Anyways, today went pretty good and I'm happy to see the progress finally. I'm chomping at the mooring lines to drive it and see how it all rides now!

Cheers
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #33
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Did you already order a sye? If so I would just forget about the rc drop I doubt it would drop it enough to correct that angle!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #34
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Did you already order a sye? If so I would just forget about the rc drop I doubt it would drop it enough to correct that angle!

Yeah I ordered one. Its about 7-10 days out still though. This is my DD so I can't be out that long...I haven't lifted the front yet. I'm hoping that, coupled with the 1" T-case will be enough to get around town for a week or two... /fingerscrossed!

Cheers
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #35
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lol just load a bunch of weight in the back!! Lmao

[]||||[]

Unread 04-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #36
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lol just load a bunch of weight in the back!! Lmao

[]||||[]
Lol
Guess I need to go meet a bunch of fat chicks to drive around with haha

Cheers
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #37
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows

Lol
Guess I need to go meet a bunch of fat chicks to drive around with haha

Cheers
I don't know about fat chicks! You can get more skinnier chicks in the jeep then fat ones! And it's easier to throw out the skinny ones!
Fuddmaster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #38
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddmaster View Post
I don't know about fat chicks! You can get more skinnier chicks in the jeep then fat ones! And it's easier to throw out the skinny ones!
Haha so true.

Cheers
Unread 04-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #39
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sparrows, with all the nautical terms I'm guessing you were in the Navy? Or just really love Popeye.

Jeep is looking great by the way.

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is online now   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #40
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Sparrows, with all the nautical terms I'm guessing you were in the Navy? Or just really love Popeye.

Nope not Navy, though I regret never serving. I was about to enlist back as a teen and I ended up having a baby and never finished signing up.

I've been sailing for about 12 years though, and aside from Jeeps, that's my other greatest love. I'm landlocked now and there aren't really that many great places to "trailer sail" around here so for me, Jeeps are kind of like sailing. They offer a similar level of freedom, adventure, and exploration!

Cheers
Unread 04-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #41
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Quote:

Nope not Navy, though I regret never serving. I was about to enlist back as a teen and I ended up having a baby and never finished signing up.

I've been sailing for about 12 years though, and aside from Jeeps, that's my other greatest love. I'm landlocked now and there aren't really that many great places to "trailer sail" around here so for me, Jeeps are kind of like sailing. They offer a similar level of freedom, adventure, and exploration!

Cheers
Aww i see. Im a Boatwains Mate in the Navy, that's why i asked.

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is online now   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #42
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for your service!
Boats are awesome lol.

Anyways, finished my lift instal today. Went really, really smooth compared to the last two days!

All said and done, the front took me about 4.5 hours to complete, including the t-case drop. Much better than the 14 hours on the rear lol.

Uploading pics right now. I'll be back

Cheers
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #43
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows
Quote:
Thanks for your service!
Boats are awesome lol.

Anyways, finished my lift instal today. Went really, really smooth compared to the last two days!

All said and done, the front took me about 4.5 hours to complete, including the t-case drop. Much better than the 14 hours on the rear lol.

Uploading pics right now. I'll be back

Cheers
Load them faster

Unread 04-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #44
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Load them faster

Ask and POOF ye shall recieve! Had to take a quick shower first

So I was feeling a bit lazy this morning so I took my sweet time rolling out the tools, drinking coffee, playing with the dog, etc, etc, etc. I didn't even get to work until about 12:30.

Learning from my mistakes, I re-evaluated my jacking techniques, and got the Jeep jacked up. I decided to try and just do one side at a time, which turned out to work soooooo much better than trying to get both done at the same time.

After about 10 minutes I had the YJ jacked up and the tire off.

I bought some longer jack stands after fighting my short ones the previous two days, and was able to place them under the front crossmember. As you can see in the pic, my old jack stands wouldn't even touch the frame with the Jeep jacked up that high.

Things went so much smoother since I knew what I was doing on these springs. I was working alone for the first half of today, and even then it only took me about 30 minutes to have the first spring removed and the new bushings popped in.

Old beaver buck teeth, vs. the new BERSK booms.

New spring pack hung and old shock removed.

For me it was much, much easier to attach the spring to the shackles first, loosely, and then swing it back to the frame mount. Slid in with minimal fuss.

New Bilsteins next to the old, no-name shock

Once again, learning from fighting the rear axle to seat on the springs, I devised a different way to go about it this time. I jacked the axle up pretty high with my floor jack, and then used a bottle jack and a scissor jack in conjunction to raise the spring to the axle. Using the two jacks on the spring made it a piece of cake to adjust the spring tilt fore and aft to get it lined up with the perch.

It took just minimum prying on the spring to line it up side to side, and it slid in like butter. Got the u-bolts put in tightened them up.

Next I installed the new shock. I got the top put in and loosely bolted, then used the bottle jack to compress the spring into place. A little persuasion with a rubber mallet and she was in with no fuss.

You can see in the background of that pic, I used Anti's break line relocation method. Worked like a charm. I didn't have any self tappers laying around, so I just zip-tied it in place for the time being.

Checked and made sure I wasn't forgetting anything, then put the tire back on.

Old shackle on the left, new on the right.

At this point, my brother showed up to lend a hand, and we flew through the passenger side with no issues. Pretty much just did the same thing I did on the driver's side, but with two people working at once, we made great time.

The wife got home from work and was checking in on the progress

Back on all four feet! The front hasn't been torqued yet though...

Next I tackled the t-case drop. This was super easy. I just put my jack in the middle of the t-case, took the bolts out of one side, loosened the ones on the other, then slowly lowered it down. Tapped in the t-case bar (I did have to pry a little to get everything lined up) and put the bolts in and moved to the other side. Got them in, tightened everything up and removed the jack.

T-case drop in (thanks again to SunDevilJeeper for the hook up on the drop! Thanks bro! )

Driveshaft angle with everything done. It's not great but it's not as horrible as it was. I think its about the same as it always was. My DS is a bit short and steep anyways due to the Aw4 conversion. It'll get me by, but definitely want to get the SYE/CV in asap...

Took it for a quick test drive. No vibes up to 35mph. I'll take it for a longer/faster trip tomorrow, and see how it goes.

Cheers!
Unread 04-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #45
robski85

2012 JK Wrangler 

Looks great man! I'm off in Tuesday so I say we go test it out
robski85 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.