Originally Posted by zte87
Load them faster
Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Ask and POOF ye shall recieve!
Had to take a quick shower first
So I was feeling a bit lazy this morning so I took my sweet time rolling out the tools, drinking coffee, playing with the dog, etc, etc, etc. I didn't even get to work until about 12:30.
Learning from my mistakes, I re-evaluated my jacking techniques, and got the Jeep jacked up. I decided to try and just do one side at a time, which turned out to work soooooo much better than trying to get both done at the same time.
After about 10 minutes I had the YJ jacked up and the tire off.
I bought some longer jack stands after fighting my short ones the previous two days, and was able to place them under the front crossmember. As you can see in the pic, my old jack stands wouldn't even touch the frame with the Jeep jacked up that high.
Things went so much smoother since I knew what I was doing on these springs. I was working alone for the first half of today, and even then it only took me about 30 minutes to have the first spring removed and the new bushings popped in.
Old beaver buck teeth, vs. the new BERSK booms.
New spring pack hung and old shock removed.
For me it was much, much easier to attach the spring to the shackles first, loosely, and then swing it back to the frame mount. Slid in with minimal fuss.
New Bilsteins next to the old, no-name shock
Once again, learning from fighting the rear axle to seat on the springs, I devised a different way to go about it this time. I jacked the axle up pretty high with my floor jack, and then used a bottle jack and a scissor jack in conjunction to raise the spring to the axle. Using the two jacks on the spring made it a piece of cake to adjust the spring tilt fore and aft to get it lined up with the perch.
It took just minimum prying on the spring to line it up side to side, and it slid in like butter. Got the u-bolts put in tightened them up.
Next I installed the new shock. I got the top put in and loosely bolted, then used the bottle jack to compress the spring into place. A little persuasion with a rubber mallet and she was in with no fuss.
You can see in the background of that pic, I used Anti's break line relocation method. Worked like a charm. I didn't have any self tappers laying around, so I just zip-tied it in place for the time being.
Checked and made sure I wasn't forgetting anything, then put the tire back on.
Old shackle on the left, new on the right.
At this point, my brother showed up to lend a hand, and we flew through the passenger side with no issues. Pretty much just did the same thing I did on the driver's side, but with two people working at once, we made great time.
The wife got home from work and was checking in on the progress
Back on all four feet! The front hasn't been torqued yet though...
Next I tackled the t-case drop. This was super easy. I just put my jack in the middle of the t-case, took the bolts out of one side, loosened the ones on the other, then slowly lowered it down. Tapped in the t-case bar (I did have to pry a little to get everything lined up) and put the bolts in and moved to the other side. Got them in, tightened everything up and removed the jack.
T-case drop in (thanks again to SunDevilJeeper for the hook up on the drop! Thanks bro!
Driveshaft angle with everything done. It's not great but it's not as horrible as it was. I think
its about the same as it always was. My DS is a bit short and steep anyways due to the Aw4 conversion. It'll get me by, but definitely want to get the SYE/CV in asap...
Took it for a quick test drive. No vibes up to 35mph. I'll take it for a longer/faster trip tomorrow, and see how it goes.