Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Closed Thread
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The jeep is coming along. What's next on the list?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #17
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I found mine on craigslist. Kept searching for explorer in the parts section. Bunch them on their parting out. Just got keep after em to find the right one
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
The jeep is coming along. What's next on the list?
My lift should be here Tuesday, so hopefully I'll have it installed right away. Just placed an order a couple days ago for tires, my BL, and a couple other little things. I'll be calling Metalcloak tomorrow to place my order for the fronts!

When my buddy get's back from his fishing trip, we're going to get to work on coming up with some rock sliders, rear tube flares, and a belly up skid. Hopefully a lot is happening all at once over the next few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
I found mine on craigslist. Kept searching for explorer in the parts section. Bunch them on their parting out. Just got keep after em to find the right one
I check everyday. There is only one explorer for parts on my local CL right now. And the guy wants $300 for the axle. And it's the wrong gears This is the biggest hiccup in my build. I cannot afford a regear so I have to find one that's already right...I'm crossing my fingers that it happens soon after the new tires go on, otherwise my d35 is tic, tic, tic....timebomb!

I'm running out of patience lol.

Cheers
Unread 04-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #19
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Picked up some grade 8 hex bolts to replace the torx bolts holding my cage down. Everything was closed when I finished up the other day so I just loosely reused the original hardware until today. Only cost me $4.00 for all 12 that go in the tub plates, plus the 4 that go into the windshield. What a deal!

New hardware next to the old torx

Ran into a snag during the instal though. The original torx have a "pilot" on the tip; about 1/4" of the end of the bolt is a bit thinner and threadless.

The outer most hole doesn't quite line up perfectly, and I was able to get the torx in and out since the "pilot" portion was able to dig in and get things going. But the bolts I got are fully threaded and now I'll have to do a little surgery and ream the hole out a bit to get them in. Tomorrow I guess...

Last thing I got done, got the bikini top on A huge thanks to JF member S00T3R for the hook up!

Crossing my fingers that my lift shows up tomorrow so I can get that put on!

Cheers
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Anytime Man!! looks great!

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #21
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks bro! If you ever need anything hit me up

Get some parts ordered. Someone needs to be hemorrhaging as much money as I am haha!
Thanks again.

Cheers
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #22
robski85

2012 JK Wrangler 

Has the lift come yet ? Haha
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #23
BionicOnion

any chance your parting with those 7inch front flares?
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #24
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lift arrived last night!

Started in on it today. Ran into a slew of problems. Seized bolts, missing a few needed tools, and on and on. Had to make two trips to the tool store for a few misc tools and two trips to the hardware store for bolts. I got the rear torn apart and finally got the springs and new shackles installed but ran into more problems. First, Quadratec sent me two incorrect U-Bolts (Box of 4. 2 were right, 2 were not.) Second, I can't seem to get the axle to seat on the springs. It appears to be rolled backwards too far and the perches won't seat on the nut on the top of the springs.

Ran out of light and so that's it for tonight.

I'll upload some pics that I have, and give a thorough write up of what I did/went through today after I get cleaned up and get some food in my belly. Haven't eaten a bite all day, and despite my best efforts, I cannot survive on nothing but iced tea, water, and cigs lol!

Cheers!
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #25
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good sir
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #26
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, here we go!

So I had some really good pics of the UPS guy dropping off my springs, and some really good pics of all the "before" measurements. But I had a dumb-dumb moment this morning. I had my camera sitting on my fender after taking the measurement pics, and then forgot it there. I left to go get some coffee about 20 minutes later, and forgot the camera sitting there. After pulling out of my driveway I heard a loud "crunch!" and got out to see what it was. My camera! Whoops. It was completely destroyed and the SD car was sliced in half. Sad

Anyways, I had to find my wife's camera, to continue, so sorry that I'm missing a few pics.
That said, here's what I started with. I decided to start with the rear's since they are apparently "easier." LOL at that!

The best starting shot I have;

The tire off ready to start. Check out how flat those things are, and how long them shackles are!

So I got started. I removed the U-Bolts and was able to remove all four bolts with little problems. Then I moved onto the main spring bolt (frame side). Even using a 24" breaker bar, heat, and PB blaster that thing wouldn't move. I then proceeded to burn up $20.00 worth of Sawzall blades and more than an hour and a half trying to cut the bolt and only maybe digging into the bolt 1/8" if that. I was out of grinder discs and out of blades at this point, so I made a trip to the tool store and got some grinder discs.

After that I just cut the spring off to gain access to the bolt with my grinder, and then grinded the bolt out. All and all, that only took 10-15 minutes of surgery with the grinder. What a waste of time with the Sawzall!

Success!

I then removed the shackle from the frame and the first spring was out. At this point I lubed up all the bushing and tapped them into the spring. Then I started being a n00b. I put the bushing in the rear frame (shackle side) but when I pounded in the sleeve, it pushed the rear bushing out maybe 1/4". Just enough to where I no longer had enough clearance to get the nut in there in between the bushing and the gas tank. Spent nearly 1/2 an hour prying on it and using C-Clams to get it back into place. After that I got the shackle hung by the top bolt.

Then, I realized that I couldn't get the lower bolts in (pic to come soon, I'll get one tomorrow), because the new shackles are shorter than the old ones. The bolts need to be put in from the back and the new, shorter shackles, don't swing far enough to clear the gas tank to insert the bolts. The shackle came back off, I inserted the bottom two bolts, then started again. Another 30 minutes and I had the shackle installed.

Installed shackles. Thanks to JF member BERSK for the awesome shackles and the great deal! If anyone is looking for quality, inexpensive shackles, shoot him a PM. He's a great guy and his service and product were amazing!

Here you can see what I was talking about with the gas tank/bolt clearance;

Here's a pic of the new springs and shackles compared to the old ones. I need to take another pic for comparison. The new springs are much taller than the old ones.

Next I got the new spring under and beat the frame side into place with a rubber mallet. Found out that the bolts I got didn't have enough thread on the end to work at this point. I installed the bolt, tightened down the nut, and the nut stopped about 1/8" (too much to just add a washer) from the spring hanger. Sigh. Back to the bolt store to try again.

Got home and changed out the bolt with new one. Success!

Then I tried to swing the spring back and line it up with the shackle. It was a no go. Just couldn't get it to line up. So off the spring came again, changed tactics and bolted the shackle side first, then swung it up and got it all lined up and installed. Yay! One spring hung at least (I'm about 6 hours in at this point lol.)

Driver's side spring hung;

Then I tried to lower the axle onto the spring only to find that it wouldn't go low enough. I though maybe discoing the shock from the axle would help so I tried that. Still a no go. The opposite spring would have to be removed first for the axle to drop enough. Onto the other side!

None of the bolts on the other side were as seized, and so I had everything removed in no more than 30 minutes. Learning from the other side, I did everything in the correct order, and had the new spring and shackles hung in another 30 minutes. Wow what a difference! 6 hours of learning on one spring, 1 hour of labor on the other! Haha at least I'm making progress!

Passenger spring hung; what a difference compared to the stock "springs."

At this point, I pulled the jacks out from under the axle and dropped it onto the springs. I grabbed a box of U-Bolts and that's when I realized that Quadratec sent me two wrong ones. After all the hiccups I had today, that one upset me!

Anyways, I started putting the u-bolts in that I could and realized that my axle isn't lined up correctly. It appears to be rolled back to far and won't fully seat on the spring perches (the set "nob" on the top of the springs won't seat into the perches. I think its just because the axle is rolled and they need to go in straight, and right now they are cocked at an angle.

I thought maybe I could "suck it up" with the U-bolts, but no dice. They definitely have to be line up first....

You can see it here;

And the other side...

At this point the sun had almost set so I decided just to clean up and leave it for the morning. Hopefully tomorrow goes smoother than today! All in all it's been a learning experience, but I'm sure I'll be able to get it all done!

UPDATE: Filled in the missing pics!
It's really overcast and feels like rain outside. Cross your fingers that the weather holds long enough for me to finish today. I have to go get my monthly dose of radiation (x-ray of my hip to make sure everything is still fine) so I won't get cracking until sometime after 12:00 today...Let's hope the rain gods decide today is not their day!

Just cause, here's a pic of all the sweet, sweet, garbage I got going on in my leg. My wife made this really cool shadow box for me. The top left pic is of my original x-ray with hardware. Top right is the hardware that was in my leg that failed and they cut out. Bottom left is me and my wife, right before my second surgery. Bottom right is an xray of my new and improved hardware. Awesome right?

Cheers!
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #27
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicOnion View Post
any chance your parting with those 7inch front flares?
Someone PMd me about them already. I'm going to look into shipping for him as soon as I have the heep back together. We'll see what he says, and if he decides he doesn't want them, I'll hit you up!

Cheers
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #28
TDIJeep

Nice springs.

those old ones were not springs, more like shock attach points and axle locators lol.

looks sweet bud, WTF no finished pics. your better then that bro
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #29
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Updated the instal post with more pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIJeep View Post
Nice springs.

those old ones were not springs, more like shock attach points and axle locators lol.

looks sweet bud, WTF no finished pics. your better then that bro
Lol!
Yeah they were horrible and rode even worse. They had literally ZERO droop and maybe only 1-2" of up travel. Washboard roads were my arch nemesis!

No finished pics yet because....wait for it....I'm NOT finished hahah
Didn't even manage to button up the rear yesterday. Let's hope today goes better!

Thanks for the compliments. It's a work in progress!

Cheers
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #30
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Subscribed!! Always enjoy watching people's builds. Gives me ideas for when I do mine eventually!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.