Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Closed Thread
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #226
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you haven't heard of the band We came as Romans, you should check them out. There local to me but recently became HUGE nation wide and play some awesome music!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 06-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #227
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

You plan on staying with the 4.10 gears with the 35s? I like the green
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #228
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
You plan on staying with the 4.10 gears with the 35s? I like the green
Thanks
I'll eventually go with 4.88s. I feel like with my AW4 OD I lose power after 60mph. I can cruise at 75 right now, but with a head wind or hills it bogs down pretty good and my trans starts doing the "jeep hunt;" Down shift, up shift, down shift, up shift, double down shift, up shift, etc.

I think 4.88s would help with that. If I had a 5 speed it would probably matter less though. But for now it's liveable

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #229
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Brycen, those up/down shifts create lots of heat, I hope you're not having too much trouble boiling the temps over on long steep overpasses. I would recommend a Hayden 404 trans cooler for now, till you regear. Only problem is that it's passive and always "on". Ones that only kick on when you're on trails and high temp situations cost upwards of $300. I'll eventually custom make one using a cheap passive cooler and programming my own sensor to a small microprocessor. Will kick in when needed and display temps on 16x2 character small LCD screen. With 3.55s and 31s it gets pretty warm at times, but not enough to absolutely need one. I can imagine your trans will benefit pushing those 35s

Your last set of wheeling pics before the 8.8 make me seriously want to call in sick and take a trip to off-road

Keep up the good work, your jeep is one of my favs now! BTW I like what you did with your rear fenders. Free and looks great, those little things...
kgb_m3 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #230
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb_m3 View Post
Brycen, those up/down shifts create lots of heat, I hope you're not having too much trouble boiling the temps over on long steep overpasses. I would recommend a Hayden 404 trans cooler for now, till you regear. Only problem is that it's passive and always "on". Ones that only kick on when you're on trails and high temp situations cost upwards of $300. I'll eventually custom make one using a cheap passive cooler and programming my own sensor to a small microprocessor. Will kick in when needed and display temps on 16x2 character small LCD screen. With 3.55s and 31s it gets pretty warm at times, but not enough to absolutely need one. I can imagine your trans will benefit pushing those 35s
I actually already have the hayden 404 installed
I need to add a trans temp sensor/gauge and find a way to make my stock temp gauge functional...I have to do things by guestimation and using a HF infrared temp sensor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb_m3
Your last set of wheeling pics before the 8.8 make me seriously want to call in sick and take a trip to off-road

Keep up the good work, your jeep is one of my favs now! BTW I like what you did with your rear fenders. Free and looks great, those little things...
You only live once!
If you can afford it and won't lose your job over it, I say get out there and enjoy the summer and enjoy all the hard work you've done on your Jeep! Big Bear isn't far from you and there is a ton of great wheeling, historical sights to see, wildlife, and sunshine to enjoy up there.

Thanks for the vote of confidence
I can't wait to get my shock mounts in and get back out wheeling.

Cheers
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #231
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So next up after I sort the shocks on my 8.8 out will be the following;

1. Aussie lunchbox locker for the front with new diff covers for the d30/8.8
2. Rear PSC crusher corners and flares
3. MC rock sliders
4. Using Ashlands idea and setting up an s10 tire carrier and getting a spare mounted up
5. Cargo netting for the rear to keep my gear and Ivan in
6. Some DIY beadlocks. I've read that the crushers will hold their shape all the way down to 4psi! and some beadlocks would be sweet.

And just to keep things consolidated in my build thread, I've been trying to decide on a few cosmetic things. I'm still up in the air about keep all my "accents" green or changing them over to red. I know it's not a big deal but it's one of those stupid cosmetic things that matters to me for some reason

That and I'm trying to decide on what to do about my PSC crusher corners. I'm flirting with the idea of ordering them in aluminum so I can just leave them raw. It could look really cool, really bad, or just lame. I'm not sure...I do know that I don't want them black! So it'll either be white or brushed aluminum back there....

here's a photoshop done by FireMedic showing what the aluminum could look like. I also had him mock up some cargo netting for me. I like the look of the netting with the sport cage. Give's it a prerunner/militant look and I like that!

Today I'm thinking I may want to just paint it a dark charcoal/battleship grey with some raw aluminum parts and red accents...Kind of like an old p-51 Mustang lol. Maybe paint a sharks mouth on my front bumper
Probably won't ever do that (I think...:P ) but it's fun to think about making a Jeep look like that.

Other than that I'm sitting on my hands waiting on parts and thats no fun!

Cheers
Unread 06-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #232
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSELF
Today I'm thinking I may want to just paint it a dark charcoal/battleship grey with some raw aluminum parts and red accents...Kind of like an old p-51 Mustang lol. Maybe paint a sharks mouth on my front bumper
Probably won't ever do that (I think...:P ) but it's fun to think about making a Jeep look like that.
Well that's funny haha.
Not even two days later I tore the Jeep apart to start the paint job

Haven't updated for a while so here we go!

After deciding to paint the Jeep to look like a warbird, I set about to collect materials. Not even two hours after having the PS rendering done by FireMedic here on JF, I had bought paint and started the break down of the Jeep.

Paint;

Things falling off the Jeep

After that I spent over an hour clearing out enough space so that I could pull it in the garage and started sanding it. I hit the whole thing with some 180 just to knock down the clear coat, wiped it all down with Mineral Spirits, then set about masking things off.

I used the roll on method and used the little 4" dense foam rollers. I cut my paint almost 25% with Mineral Spirits to get it nice and thin. I got my first two coats on that night with about 5 hours of dry time between coats. I think the sun was coming up when I finished up the last coat haha!

The next day it was filled with helping my sister get everything together for her wedding. No work on the Jeep that day. The following day was her wedding and again, no work on the Jeep. The day after that my father ended up in the hospital and no work got done on the Jeep. Then the three days after that it poured rain almost non-stop and I thought maybe I should start building an ark...

Finally I caught a break in the weather and pulled it out of the garage and wet sanded with some 220

I ended up removing the hood when some help arrived to make things easier...
Two more coats of paint were applied and wet sanded with 400 followed by 600.

The next day I wet sanded with 600 followed by 1000 grit. Hit it with two more coats and then it got to be like 105* outside and nothing else happened.
The following day (Friday) was waaaaay too hot to get work done.

So in true Jeeper fashion, I grossly miscalculated how long it would take to get things done. I waited around until about 3pm to get started. It was still over 100 outside, but by that time the driveway was mostly shaded. I set about collecting all the hardware and getting it spruced up with paint, masked off the grill and the windshield channel and got them primed and painted, removed all the masking tape, started putting it back together and on and on and on.

Blown up in the driveway for paint...

The hours rolled by as I scrambled to get things done. There was a wheeling trip planned for the next morning, and there would be a couple guys coming that I had never met before, so I had to have the jeep put back together in order to make it out to meet them and show them the trail.

Starting the mouth...

I shot that with about 3 coats of black. When it dried I taped out the teeth and hit it with some white primer then a couple coats of white. The masking of the teeth was tedious and time consuming to say the least....

In between watching paint dry I was buttoning up other projects like the 8.8 swap. I installed my Teraflex shock bar and lower mounts, got them torqued down, installed new 1.25" rear booms to undo the 8.8 "squat," checked the torque on everything I'd worked on in the last few months; shocks, body mounts, shackles, bumpers, tires, u-bolts, driveshaft, etc, etc, etc.

New shackles installed.

Windshield masked

Shock mounts that were too short and in a bad spot that I ended up cutting off and replacing with MORE mounts.

New MORE mounts being welded on

Through all that I was repainting everything, and rushing around trying to get done. By the time I finished up, showered, cleaned up the driveway and packed the Jeep for the next day's wheeling, it was after 5am. I ended up just staying up, getting some breakfast and pounding the coffee, then heading out at 7am to meet up with the group!

That night getting gas after it was put back together

Holy crap that's a long post! Sorry bout that haha!

Cheers
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #233
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So everything worked out pretty great on the trail. I was happy with the ride and flex of the new rear shock set up, the LSD in the 8.8 made a big difference out in that "moon dust," and the new battle dress of the YJ was a big hit!
Some pics

Cheers
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #234
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Aaaannnnd moar pics!

Cheers
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #235
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You did great on the mouth man! And high five for role on! :-)
ashland82391 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #236
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

And a few more....(why not? It's my build thread haha!)

You'll probably think I buried the lead on this one, but I had a awesome, bikini clad co-pilot yesterday. Everyone, meet Bre.

Anyways, I had a great time yesterday, I did however, like the diehard YJ guy I am (lol) decided to have problems on the trail. I somehow knocked loose the ground wire (bad crimp connection??? Going to solder it now!) from my Taurus fan and didn't notice until I was boiling fluid all over the place. Fixed the ground, got the fan running, and 5 minutes later she was cooled down and back on the trail....

After getting through all the rough obsticles, making it over all the rocks, water falls, and washouts, I was just driving along the dirt trail out when BAM! something gives out in the back. Dammit....
Some investigation proved it to be the rear u-joint. Whoops. I honestly think it may have been my fault. When removing the caps to install it into the 1310/1350 adapter a bunch of the needle bearing fell out. I packed them back into the cap and just hoped for the best....really glad this didn't happen at 75 on the freeway! Lesson learned! I didn't have a spare u-joint (on the list now!) so I just removed the rear DS and made it off the trail and home in front wheel drive!

All in all, the YJ is coming along and even though I hate her sometimes, I still, deep down, love my Jeep!

Cheers
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #237
odss91b
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Love the color and the warbird paint scheme! Your rig is looking awesome keep up the good work!
odss91b is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #238
KreepyCrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The new paint looks sweet!!! I was thinking about doing the same color if I repainted mine... but that's a long way down the road. I read through your entire build and it's truly amazing how quickly you've made the progress that you have so far. Keep up the good work.
KreepyCrawler is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:18 AM   #239
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wow dude, really dig the new color change and great job on how quick you got it done! We paint certain defense parts for fighter jets that color or something very similar.
Wheeling pics are entertaining as always
kgb_m3 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #240
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sparrows. Looking good my friend. Looking real good.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.