Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!

Closed Thread
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #181
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Don't jinx your self lol. Maybe try visually inspecting your Speedo gear????
Haha I know right?
I found that my speedo is actually electric and not cable driven. I could have sworn it was a cable, but I guess my brain has been pretty clogged up with pretty stressful things lately. I'll check the speedo gear...

I re-sorted out my fan wiring. We'll call this v2.1.
Picked up one of these

And installed it

Now my fan has it's own dedicated fuse block and lead. I have 4 more open expansion ports now. I plan on tying in any other accessories like lights to this block at a later date.

Now that I have it set up in a way that I think will work really well, I made this is paint just in case anyone else is interested in trying their fan this way.

I used an adjustable relay so I can set the temp that the fan kicks on at. I have the relay set to control the fan's "high" setting. The relay will control normal driving/wheeling conditions so the fan should be worry free. I then wired the fan's "low" setting to a toggle switch in the cab. That way on long, steep climbs, or sitting in stop and go traffic with 110* heat, I can just flip the fan on and have air constantly moving to avoid the chance of over heating in the first place.

All said and done the fan cost me $17.00, the fuse block cost $7.00, and the relay cost $29.00, so to set this all up I spent around $53.00. Not bad

Cheers

Sparrows is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #182
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Finally, freaking FINALLY got rid of the giant BL today! Woot!
It went pretty smooth. I just used a floor jack and a few 2x4 scrap to jack up one side. I loosened all the bolts, and then removed the ones on the jack side. Dropped that side down, loosely threaded in the new bolts then repeated on the other side. Dropped it down and tightened everything up. The worst part was removing the radiator drop brackets that were installed, and only because I needed tiny elf hands to get into the grill slots to access the nuts...

I did have one snag. The fuel lines were run between the tub and the crossmember that is located forward of the fuel tank. While trying to move one of them, I snapped off the plastic nipple. : F*CK! A trip the the parts store, some flex tube, a new end fitting, and a few hose clamps and all was well....I hope!

Pics!
Before; with the 2" BL

The POs home made front mounts. Sawzall took care of them in short order..

During; One side done

The pucks

And done!

Her new stance

Now I get to play with Zte lol! I'm now running 35s on 3" of lift. Not bad

Got done with all that mess and moved onto my buddy's JKU.
Painted and installed this with a lube locker for him;

That's all for today. Time for some PBR!

Cheers
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #183
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Whew! Just read your entire build in one shot. Looking great my man. I really like that you have that much clearance with such minimal lift.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #184
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
Whew! Just read your entire build in one shot. Looking great my man. I really like that you have that much clearance with such minimal lift.
Whew sucker for punishment eh? Lol.
Thanks man! Its coming along. 8.8 should be in next week. Armor and flares should be ordered shortly after that followed by the Aussie. I'm actually pretty happy that I've been able to stick so closely to my original build plan.

God I appearently can't stop checking JF even when I'm out at the bars lol...

Cheers
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #185
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

About TIME! looks way better.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #186
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great man!!!

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is online now   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #187
robski85

2012 JK Wrangler 

Looks good man ! I'm off Saturday, maybe. Little wheeling ?
robski85 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #188
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
About TIME! looks way better.
God I know right! Kept talking about it and finally got to be about it!
Waaaaaay better. But to be honest, the shock of it being so much lower was crazy at first. Almost seems small now lol. After driving it around now, it's 10x more stable feeling. The body roll isn't even noticeable any more, even with no swaybars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
Looks great man!!!
Thanks man. I appreciate all your encouragement! Really helps in slogging through it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski85 View Post
Looks good man ! I'm off Saturday, maybe. Little wheeling ?
Thanks bud! 8th St on Saturday? Or the Owyhees? Or Anderson Ranch? I'm game for whatever!

Cheers
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #189
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not a lot going on this week since I'm broke! I have some wheeling planned for the weekend. I think tomorrow will be some trail/excursion type of scenic stuff, and Monday will be some rocks and such.

Anyways, today I gave it a quick bath and buff (the white paint still doesn't match perfectly. Drives me nuts!) but she sure cleans up nice!

I then decided that I was tired of the "flareless" look and did this;
Took the lame 8" flare that I had taken off and marked it at 4" with some tape. Used a second piece of tape to mark a nice little cut line, slapped in my bench vice, and went to town with the sawzall. I had a lot of vibrating going on so the cut turned out a bit warbley but meh, they're only going to live there until I get my armored corners/flares.

Hit them with some of this

Then mounted them up with some self tappers;

Looks more complete and clean with them on there so I'm pretty happy with it!

Also met my buddy's neighbor today. He's a 15 year welder by trade and just sold his built tj to buy a bike. He offered to help me weld up my 8.8 some time this week! So now I have 3 people waiting in the wings to potentially get that thing under there finally! Figured a guy can't have too many contingency plans! My DS adapter that I've been waiting on finally showed up this afternoon so I think I have all the parts together for the swap finally, and have some people willing to help with the welding! Lets cross our fingers and sacrifice some goats to the YJ gods (or whatever the heck they want haha) cause I freaking want that thing in there and the turdy5 gone!

Cheers
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #190
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and just cause...
I helped Justin do this to his JKU...

Before

During

After

Those are the Smittybilt XRC flares. They look really good and everything lined up really well, my only beef with them is I wish they were well...more beefy. I think the could take a few hits, but I'm spoiled by my 'Cloaks haha!

Cheers
Unread 05-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #191
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wheeled it pretty hard yesterday. We went on a short, 3 hour expedition run up 8th St followed by another 3-4 hours of playing out in the rocks off Pleasant Valley. Here's a ton of pics! I tried some pretty tough lines out there yesterday and just walked right over all of them. I'm really happy with my build so far as it seems to perform insanely well.

8th St. It takes up in the mountains above Boise. Some really fun ruts and amazing views...

At the gas station on the way to No Cajones from 8th St. Thought it looked pretty cool with all the Jeeps parked in a row lol...

Pleasant Valley (No Cajones)

Justin had his GoPro camera out yesterday so we'll get a few video's edited up and posted later. We're leaving to go hit up Lost Trail here in about an hour or so. I'll have a ton more pics from that later tonight!

Thanks to Justin, Vic, Rob, and Jason for an amazing day of wheeling! Probably one of the best day's of wheeling of 2013 thus far. Love ya guys!

Cheers
Unread 05-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #192
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Love the build! I love low lift big tire yj's!

I'm Running 36's with about 4 1/2" total lift and still lotsa room. I could fit 38's but my axles would puke at me. LOL!

Love the wheeling pics too! Beautiful there.

I also have that same fuse block for my fan, cb, and offroadlights. LOL!
Unread 05-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #193
WidowYj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I want your front bumper!
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #194
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey my man told you that you would do ok in the yjotm! ......I voted for you shhhh!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #195
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YamJam View Post
Love the build! I love low lift big tire yj's!

I'm Running 36's with about 4 1/2" total lift and still lotsa room. I could fit 38's but my axles would puke at me. LOL!

Love the wheeling pics too! Beautiful there.

I also have that same fuse block for my fan, cb, and offroadlights. LOL!
Thanks man!
I really like my lift/tire combo. I do have to do a little more cutting in the rear. I rubbed a bit on the inner liner today and tore it up a bit. Other than that it's working out great. Did quite a few off camber things today and I felt really stable the whole time.

Haha yeah I'm going to run the rest of my accessories through that fuse block...I feel like it was a great mod for like $10.00 or whatever I spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowYj91 View Post
I want your front bumper!
I like it too! That reminds me I'm supposed to measure it for someone else and give them dimensions. When the rain stops I'll get that done so anyone that wants to copy it can. It's super easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Hey my man told you that you would do ok in the yjotm! ......I voted for you shhhh!
Thanks brother!
I'm scared to check the "polls" right now lol...

Anyways, I wheeled the sh*t out of it today. Even got it hopping/rock humping pretty good and my d35 held up like a champ lol. Lucky me!

Didn't get a single pic but we did get a ton of GoPro footage today. Uploading a little bit of the raw footage to Youtube right now. I'll post them here in a bit. Later today/tomorrow we're planning on editing it into a pretty cool video.

Thanks again for the support guys!

Cheers
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.