Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Closed Thread
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #166
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows
yup just a civie. My biggest regret in life is not joining the Navy. I was all set to go, minus the last piece of paper and swearing in, and about a month before that would have happened, I found out I was having a baby. She didn't want to come with me and I didn't want to miss out on the pregnancy/birth of my child so I postponed it. And things just kept coming up and it never happened.

I just google maps it...about 9 hours. Not a helluva bad drive. Why, whats up?

Cheers
Oh that's kind of a drive then, we are wheeling camping there 28/29/30 of June. I am only 4.5 hrs from there. If you where closer I was going to invite you!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #167
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Oh that's kind of a drive then, we are wheeling camping there 28/29/30 of June. I am only 4.5 hrs from there. If you where closer I was going to invite you!
I mapped your home town, whoops!
Google maps says I'm 5 hours and 51 minutes away from Naches, WA.....
That's an easy drive.

If I can get my junk reliable by then (I want to be sure it can handle 6 hours of continuous driving- fluid changes, fix my OD issue,get my 8.8 in so I don't blow my sh*t up lol, etc, etc, etc,) then I'll totally make that.

I'd love to hook up with ya and go wheel!
Thanks for the invite. Keep me posted on it, and as it gets closer to that date, I'll let you know if I'll be making it or not. I'm crossing my fingers that I can.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #168
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows

I mapped your home town, whoops!
Google maps says I'm 5 hours and 51 minutes away from Naches, WA.....
That's an easy drive.

If I can get my junk reliable by then (I want to be sure it can handle 6 hours of continuous driving- fluid changes, fix my OD issue,get my 8.8 in so I don't blow my sh*t up lol, etc, etc, etc,) then I'll totally make that.

I'd love to hook up with ya and go wheel!
Thanks for the invite. Keep me posted on it, and as it gets closer to that date, I'll let you know if I'll be making it or not. I'm crossing my fingers that I can.

Cheers
For sure, this will be my first time to naches I was checking out vids of it on YouTube looks like a good time! I just figured I would ask since its not all that far from Idaho......
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #169
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
For sure, this will be my first time to naches I was checking out vids of it on YouTube looks like a good time! I just figured I would ask since its not all that far from Idaho......
Sounds good bro!
I'll keep you posted about where I'm at with it.

So Sunday I went out to a new trail. The trail was AMAZING with a ton of really fun obstacles. Unfortunately I overheated before getting to do any of the really fun stuff. I decided just to park my rig and not risk breaking something in the heat and I rode shotgun with my buddy in his JKU. Since I helped pretty much do everything to his rig, I figure I'd share some pics here.

I have since bought the parts to fix my fan which should solve the overheating issue.

Pics!

So even though I didn't get to beat on my junk it was still an awesome day! Learning that trail and having an experienced guide to walk us through the obstacles was well worth it.

Cheers
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #170
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Took the Jeep out to play on the rocks for a bit today and to shoot some guns and bows and sh*t.
Had a nice passenger today

And some more

And some more pics...

And Justin taking the same line. My extra few inches of clearance over his set up made a difference here. He dragged his belly a few times...

So tomorrow I'll be tackling the new fan controls. I threw a bigger fuse in my current set up and the fan has seemed to have been working the last two days. I even drove by a radiator shop and had the guy check everything out. He suggested just getting a temp control relay so I can adjust when the fan kicks on. I picked one up at the parts store for $29.00 and will be getting it put in tomorrow. I'll keep in controlling the fan "high" setting and I'll run a toggle to the cab for "low" so I can just turn it on low, and keep it on low while out playing. The relay will then kick it up into high if it still manages to get too hot. Not nearly as eloquent as the volvo relay set up, but simple and effective.

All for now.

Cheers
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #171
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got my Taurus fan sorted out today. I got rid of the old relay and replaced it with one with an adjustable temperature control.

Old one;

New one

I don't think the wiring could have been any simpler. I simply attached at hot (+) wire to one terminal, the fan's hot (+) to the second terminal followed by an inline, 30amp fuse, and the fan's ground (-) to a ground bolt and then stuck the temp probe into the radiator fins. That's it. I ran the Jeep and everything worked perfect!

For insurance, to make sure that I have some way to make everything work out on the trail in the event of failure of some kind, I wired in a hard switch to the cab and connected it to the fan's low setting terminal on the pig tail. I simply ran a hot to the switch, jumped from the switch to an inline fuse, and then to the fan hot. It uses the same ground as the relay so it was literally just one wire.

The switch put in right next to my winch controls. I used an old school toggle switch with a the red safety cover. Looks kind of cool haha!

And with that, I'm hoping I solved my overheating problem!

Cheers
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #172
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I hope you're going to solve that wiring issue too lol.
caoboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #173
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
I hope you're going to solve that wiring issue too lol.
What wiring issue? I'm totally new at wiring so if something looks horribly wrong hows about you share with the whole class?

Non of it is loomed yet but I used all crimp connectors and taped them all. I was going to solder it but couldn't find my iron.

Am I missing something? Other.than the loose wires I just added everything is nice and clean.and either bundles or loomed.

Cheers
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #174
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
What wiring issue? I'm totally new at wiring so if something looks horribly wrong hows about you share with the whole class?

Non of it is loomed yet but I used all crimp connectors and taped them all. I was going to solder it but couldn't find my iron.

Am I missing something? Other.than the loose wires I just added everything is nice and clean.and either bundles or loomed.

Cheers
Yes, I was talking about the loose wiring. It was more sarcasm than anything.
caoboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #175
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
Yes, I was talking about the loose wiring. It was more sarcasm than anything.
Ah gotcha.
I just need to buy more loom is all and tidy it up.

So tonight, I ran into more problems. Drove the Jeep all day with no problems. I parked it for about four hours and then jumped in to head out to a movie. I immediately noticed that my speedo wasn't working and my voltage seemed low; it usually lives right around 14 volts and it was barely topping 12.

Over the course of about 8-10 miles I watched the voltage drop all the way to 8 (buried needle on that side of the gauge.) By the time I pulled into the theater my headlights were dimmed beyond useless and my stereo lost power.

Crap.

So after the movie I popped the hood to investigate.I found a blown 15 amp fuse in the block that I tied into earlier this week for my new taurus fan. All I had left in my fuse pack were 30 amps so I threw one in and the alternator sprang back to life and I was back up to 14 volts.
Good deal.

Problem is, now my speedo is all weird. It's sluggish to respond to vehicle speed. It takes its sweet time getting up to speed, and returns to 0 just as slow. What the hell? It wasn't doing this before tonight...

Thoughts? Solutions?

I'll be reworking my fan wiring tomorrow and tapping in somewhere else. I don't want to risk this again.

For now I'm going to bed, frustrated and a bit overwhelmed.

Cheers all.

Edit: Just in case anyone has any ideas, here's a pic of the old relay and the wire's coming out of it...

The bottom right three wires; the red, the yellow, and the black were all power wires. I tested each of them and both the red and the black were always hot and the yellow was ignition only hot (the Jeep had to have the key turned for it to get power.) So when i wired things up I used the red wire for the in cab switch that I installed, and used the yellow wire for the fan relay. It made sense at the time, but after further investigation I found that the yellow wire eventually leads to a fuse block and is tied to a 4amp fuse in the block that gave me problems tonight. Probably not the best place to wire a fan that draws 80amps when it kicks on. :

I'll probably just "T" off the red wire tomorrow for the relay hot and just terminate the yellow wire.
After some googling, I still can't figure out what is now f*cked up in my speedo.. :
Now time for bed.
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #176
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Solutions- maybe go back to a mechanical fan. JK, I do like the simplicity/reliability of mine though

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #177
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

For your fan power run it to the battery with an inline fuse. No circuits on the jeep can handle the fan being piggybacked onto.

As far as trigger wires through a relay. Those can be powered from almost anything you want. They draw MINIMAL power.
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #178
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sparrow, do you have a soft top? If so tie you're fan into the rear wiper circuit. It's fused 20amps, both my fans together peak at 18 amps for about a second upon startup then run at 8 amps.

I bet you fan peaks at maybe 14 amps and runs at 4-6amps. Use a multi meter and check your fans amperage.
ashland82391 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #179
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
Solutions- maybe go back to a mechanical fan. JK, I do like the simplicity/reliability of mine though

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Mine never had a mechanical fan. Not since I've had it anyways. I just changed from one weak as$ electric fan to the taurus fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
For your fan power run it to the battery with an inline fuse. No circuits on the jeep can handle the fan being piggybacked onto.

As far as trigger wires through a relay. Those can be powered from almost anything you want. They draw MINIMAL power.
Ok. I didn't think I was "piggybacking" into a different circuit. Since that yellow wire went to the old relay, I figured it could still be used to power the new relay. It ended up being piggybacked lol, but it didn't look that way when I started.

I'll be going with what you suggest for the fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Sparrow, do you have a soft top? If so tie you're fan into the rear wiper circuit. It's fused 20amps, both my fans together peak at 18 amps for about a second upon startup then run at 8 amps.

I bet you fan peaks at maybe 14 amps and runs at 4-6amps. Use a multi meter and check your fans amperage.
I'll check into that! Thanks bro.
I'm still confused as to why my speedo got all stupid on me now though.

Sigh.
What else can I get hit with right now?

Cheers
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #180
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Mine never had a mechanical fan. Not since I've had it anyways. I just changed from one weak as$ electric fan to the taurus fan.

Ok. I didn't think I was "piggybacking" into a different circuit. Since that yellow wire went to the old relay, I figured it could still be used to power the new relay. It ended up being piggybacked lol, but it didn't look that way when I started.

I'll be going with what you suggest for the fan.

I'll check into that! Thanks bro.
I'm still confused as to why my speedo got all stupid on me now though.

Sigh.
What else can I get hit with right now?

Cheers
Don't jinx your self lol. Maybe try visually inspecting your Speedo gear????
ashland82391 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.