Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Closed Thread
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #151
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowYj91 View Post
The trails look a lot like california!!!
Totally does!
I miss Cali. Especially the ocean. Not much sailing up here in Idaho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage56 View Post
Again the jeep is looking Killer

Love the angry eyes !!!
Thanks bro! I know there is a lot of "angry eye hate" floating around on here. I tested them at night with one eye all pissed off and the other one all surprised, and there was literally no difference in light output with the normal low beams. High beams have a little "distortion" at the top center, but it's maybe a reduction of 10%? Not enough to matter for safety or anything.

So I love the angry eyes haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
I miss the desert so much

Jeep looks great by the way
I like the desert a lot. It's fun to play in. I wish we had more dense forests a little closer to home though. Those are about 1+ hours away. Desert is like 15 minutes lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Looks kind of like az
A lot like the SW actually. Ever drive the 8? I was working in El Centro, CA for a while, and the drive on the 8 from San Diego all the way to Tucson looks a lot like the desert up here lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
Yes, it does, except for the lack of cacti.
Just sage brush for MILES lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdeome View Post
Probably skimmed right passed it but what sound bar is that?
It's the VDP 6 speaker sound bar. It's pretty loud but is a little "hollow" on the low end of the spectrum. All in all for the $200 bucks it's a decent set up and I would recommend it. I think with some sort of small sub my "system" (btw I hate people that call their stereo's that ha!) will be pretty awesome.

Cheers all!

Unread 05-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #152
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Totally does!
I miss Cali. Especially the ocean. Not much sailing up here in Idaho.

Thanks bro! I know there is a lot of "angry eye hate" floating around on here. I tested them at night with one eye all pissed off and the other one all surprised, and there was literally no difference in light output with the normal low beams. High beams have a little "distortion" at the top center, but it's maybe a reduction of 10%? Not enough to matter for safety or anything.

So I love the angry eyes haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
I miss the desert so much

Jeep looks great by the way
I like the desert a lot. It's fun to play in. I wish we had more dense forests a little closer to home though. Those are about 1+ hours away. Desert is like 15 minutes lol.

A lot like the SW actually. Ever drive the 8? I was working in El Centro, CA for a while, and the drive on the 8 from San Diego all the way to Tucson looks a lot like the desert up here lol.

Just sage brush for MILES lol.

It's the VDP 6 speaker sound bar. It's pretty loud but is a little "hollow" on the low end of the spectrum. All in all for the $200 bucks it's a decent set up and I would recommend it. I think with some sort of small sub my "system" (btw I hate people that call their stereo's that ha!) will be pretty awesome.

Cheers all!
Oh yeah, long hot boring ride lol
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #153
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh yeah, long hot boring ride lol
Pretty much lol!
It's awesome at night though. Stars and stars and stars. Really striking.

Anyways, copy and pasted this from the What did you do to your YJ thread cause I'm lazy lol.

Added some crazy horsepower today....I'm extra scared for my turdy 5 now!

LMAO!

Added my Sparrows

And YJ

Oh and helped my buddy test out his new quick discos today...

And just cause, a sunset from last night;

Thats all for today.

Cheers
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #154
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Are those sparrows or swallows on the bumper?
image.jpg  
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #155
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Are those sparrows or swallows on the bumper?
Technically, by modern classification they are Swallows. Buuuuuuut, "old timey" sailors of yesteryear didn't know the difference and called any small bird of similar color and build a "sparrow." They were a sign of good luck since when spotted, land would be close by. Sparrows later became a symbol for sea miles traveled; one sparrow per 5k sea miles spent before the mast.

So in modern "classic" tattoo art, any such bird is referred to as a "Sparrow" regardless of it's actual scientific genealogy.

Answer your question?

I fell in love with sailing at a young age, worked on tall ships as a rigger for a couple years, and rebuilt and sailed an old Atkin's "Little Maid of Kent" schooner to Hawaii single handed and back....

Thus all my nautical references

Cheers
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #156
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Technically, by modern classification they are Swallows. Buuuuuuut, "old timey" sailors of yesteryear didn't know the difference and called any small bird of similar color and build a "sparrow." They were a sign of good luck since when spotted, land would be close by. Sparrows later became a symbol for sea miles traveled; one sparrow per 5k sea miles spent before the mast.

So in modern "classic" tattoo art, any such bird is referred to as a "Sparrow" regardless of it's actual scientific genealogy.

Answer your question?

I fell in love with sailing at a young age, worked on tall ships as a rigger for a couple years, and rebuilt and sailed an old Atkin's "Little Maid of Kent" schooner to Hawaii single handed and back....

Cheers
Well ok then sailor man. Lol

Good to know they aren't swallows. I wouldn't put anything on my Jeep that was called a swallow unless it was a woman :-)
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #157
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Answer your question?

Cheers
I think this build would be a lot better if you told us about sailing from Idaho to Hawaii.

Unread 05-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #158
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well ok then sailor man. Lol

Good to know they aren't swallows. I wouldn't put anything on my Jeep that was called a swallow unless it was a woman :-)
Lmao!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
I think this build would be a lot better if you told us about sailing from Idaho to Hawaii.

Well first I took a plane to San Fransisco.......

Here's a few pics...I don't have many on this comp. My desktop has them all and it has a blue screen of death...Need to get it into a comp repair place so they can at least recover all my pics.

Easy Bay sailing with the main furled...

I'm so f*cking salty...

When I hauled her to start the rebuild...

I can't seem to find any of her taking wing, but here is a few of her sister ships;

There was a really, really cool pic of her under full press; gaff topsails, staysail, jib, flying jib, and gollywobbler, sailing through the slot in the bay with a bone in her teeth and her ear buried, that was published in Latitude 38, but I can't seem to find it.

Anyways, I know it's not YJ related, but it's MAH BUILD THREAD and I'll do what I want!

Cheers

Edit: Lol ignore the time stamp in the 2nd pic. I've never bothered setting those things. That was actually taken in March of 2007...I was just looking at it and was all like "wtf? That wasn't two and a half years ago!" Anyways, cheers!
Unread 05-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #159
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That's fricken awesome. How long did the voyage take? Any interesting things happen? Mermaids, Sirens, Moby Dick?

No seriously anything interesting happen?

Oh and to get back on topic, go work on your fricken Jeep!
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #160
4x4JB
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Answer your question?

Cheers
Guess that makes you a semen huh? Haha! BTW your build is looking good!!
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #161
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JB

Guess that makes you a semen huh? Haha! BTW your build is looking good!!
Only if he was a navy boy, sounds like a is a civ that's enjoys the sea!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #162
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

How far from naches wa are you?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #163
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Only if he was a navy boy, sounds like a is a civ that's enjoys the sea!
yup just a civie. My biggest regret in life is not joining the Navy. I was all set to go, minus the last piece of paper and swearing in, and about a month before that would have happened, I found out I was having a baby. She didn't want to come with me and I didn't want to miss out on the pregnancy/birth of my child so I postponed it. And things just kept coming up and it never happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
How far from naches wa are you?
I just google maps it...about 9 hours. Not a helluva bad drive. Why, whats up?

Cheers
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #164
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Picked up a Taurus fan this morning.

Old stuff;

So I decided to see if I could just use the existing wiring/fuse/relay to make the new fan work. I got the old fan out (it was broken and zip tied on anyways. I broke one of the mounting flanges off when I installed the new radiator.).

Side by side; old on the left, new taurus fan on the right.

At this point I grabbed a few pieces of wire and ran them from my battery to test the fan. I found that the black is ground (no surprises there) and that the black/yellow wire is for the "High" speed and the brown/black wire is for the "low speed." Trying to think logically about it, I decided to try and wire it so that it just comes on in "high" mode. Since it normally doesn't run all the time, I figured getting more air, quicker, would be the way to go. I just used crimp on, "fin" style connectors to plug right into the Taurus factory pig tail. I figure I can always change it on the road/trail if it's giving me problems....

Anyways, mounted the fan with no problems.

At that point, I ran the Jeep to see if it all worked. After warming up in the 90* heat for about 5-7 minutes, the fan kicked on! Woot!
But wait, wtf? It's pushing air rather than pulling it...

Crap
I'm stuck at that point. I don't know why it's doing that. I've spent over an hour now on google trying to figure it out with no luck. Suggestions?

Oh I grabbed a new thermostat today as well (figure it's just one more part of my cooling system to make sure is working right and for $7.00 why not..). Haven't got it in yet though.

And I did this;

Painted my shackles to match my decals.
They look sexy to me!

And I gave it a bath. I had the water out and it only takes about 15 minutes to give it a quick hand wash and to hit the tires with some ArmorAll. I'm wheeling it tomorrow so it won't last, but meh. I like her when shes clean!

That's all for today. It's my sisters bday today so I need to get showered up so I can go get my drink on with her.

Cheers
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #165
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got the fan working!
Thanks to DirtKar and my local parts store guy, I got it figured out. All I ended up having to do is switching the "hot" wire to the fan "ground" (black) and the ground wire to the fan hot (black/yellow.) Apparently the way these fans work is that they don't actually have a hot/ground just a power "in," power "out," and so switching which direction the power is flowing, changes the direction the fan spins.

Totally easy and I feel silly now.

Welp, time to get cleaned up and go get my drink on for my little sister's birthday. I don't really feel like it, I still have Jeep projects I want to get done tonight, but oh well. Family first!

Cheers

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.