Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hold Fast- Sparrow's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Closed Thread
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #136
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
Man I love white jeeps! So freakin clean. I always wished mine was white with the spice/tan interior and top.

Also, what did you do to sand the bondo smooth. I've recently learned that I SUCK at body work
Thanks!
I love white jeeps too. That's why I've had three of them haha!
White with spice is the cleanest looking out there!

Edit: Whoops forgot to answer your question! I haven't done any body work on a car before. But I have done a ton of "body work" on sailboats back when I was working as a shipwright. The principals are pretty much the same. The key to getting a good filler job is multiple thin coats to build it up.

To sand it, I start with 60 grit to burn through any big clumps, sags, humps, tool marks, etc. Once I get it pretty flat I switch to about 150 grit and smooth it all out really well. At that point, if you want a really good, fair, smooth job, you want to run another few coats of really light weight filler to fill in any small imperfections. I didn't bother on this one and it does show, but meh. Anyways, after you get it pretty smooth with the 150, switch to something like 220 or 300 to feather all your edges and you should be good to go.

After you prime it, any areas you missed will show up. Sand the primer off in that area and try again.

Lot more to it than that, but that's your basics. A lot of it is just by "feel."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
That look awsome for a rattle can job. I going to have to check that stuff out.
Thanks. It's far from perfect, but it's all about prep work and I only spent a few hours on the prep. I'm pretty confident I could have gotten a pretty pro paint job out of it had I spent the right amount of time on the prep. I'll let you know how the paint holds up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Looks sexy man! :-)
Thanks bro!
Yours is looking pretty sexy yourself.
I love your new paint!

Cheers

Sparrows is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #137
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got a bit of work done today. A thunderstorm kicked up out of no where and made the last bit kind of a pain! Freezing cold rain, wind, thunder and lightning! Anyways, pics!

Got the sound bar in and wired up;

Smittybilt center console installed

My little helper. Getting started on replacing the radiator...

Old one...

New vs. Old

New installed

So I kind of messed up my fan putting it back on. One of the plastic mounting flanges busted off. Ended up having to use a couple zip ties to snug it down on the bottom. :
Can't seem to get rid of the dang zip ties that are holding my YJ together! :
I was already planning on sourcing a better fan from the JY this Wednesday, so hopefully I have some luck with that.

I was told by the guy at the auto parts store that this radiator takes 2.5 gallons of fluid. I filled it with 1 gallon and it was full. I turned the jeep on with the cap off the radiator and ran it for 10-15 minutes. As the air bubbles worked their way out, I kept filling it and managed to get in another 1/2-3/4 gallons of coolant before it was completely full. I'm hoping it's ok. I ran it for another 5 minutes until there was no more bubbles and the fluid started to spill out. Put the cap on, let it run a few more minutes and shut it off.

Am I forgetting anything?

Anyway, the weather sucks now so that's all for today. Got a few more projects to wrap up tomorrow and then I think things will be on hold until the 8.8 parts arrive and I get the rest of my life sorted out.

Cheers
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #138
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just depends on the radiator. my new one held about half a gallon less fluid than my old one...
ashland82391 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #139
Frayed_Knot
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Enjoying the build. Keep it up, I'll be following along.
Frayed_Knot is online now   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #140
WidowYj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You'll fall in love with the soundbar, by far the best thing I've done to mine interior wise
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #141
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just depends on the radiator. my new one held about half a gallon less fluid than my old one...
After driving about 10 miles yesterday I stopped and was able to fit another 1/2 gallon in. I topped off the overflow and today I drove it about 20 miles. Seems to be fine. No leaks or anything either. Still smells a bit like spilled coolant burning off haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayed_Knot View Post
Enjoying the build. Keep it up, I'll be following along.
Hey thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowYj91 View Post
You'll fall in love with the soundbar, by far the best thing I've done to mine interior wise
So far it's pretty good. I can actually hear the stereo now while driving at highway speeds!
Honestly though, the best sound system I had, was the stock set up in my '05 TJ. The sound pods were LOUD and crisp, the sub worked great, and even at max volume there was no distortion to the sound. This sound bar is pretty good, but at the higher volumes (like when driving down the highway topless) it gets a bit on the "fuzzy" side. I may end up adding a couple more front speakers or a small sub somewhere just to help out.

But at a much later date! So much to do before then!

Cheers
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #142
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

May as well add some pics from yesterday here so they don't just get lost in the WDYDTYYJT thread.

Went out exploring some new (to me) trails. My uncle rode along. Spent a couple hours exploring the network of trails and found a few marked with a little sign with a jeep on it! Way too cool. The pic I took of it didn't turn out but I'll snag one next time I head out there.

Ended up going on a two hour hike through the rocks which was super awesome. I'm paying for it today with my hip, and my pimp limp is extra bad today, but totally worth it. It's been well over a year since I was able to get out like that so....worth it!

Cheers
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #143
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
May as well add some pics from yesterday here so they don't just get lost in the WDYDTYYJT thread.

Went out exploring some new (to me) trails. My uncle rode along. Spent a couple hours exploring the network of trails and found a few marked with a little sign with a jeep on it! Way too cool. The pic I took of it didn't turn out but I'll snag one next time I head out there.

Ended up going on a two hour hike through the rocks which was super awesome. I'm paying for it today with my hip, and my pimp limp is extra bad today, but totally worth it. It's been well over a year since I was able to get out like that so....worth it!

Cheers
where do you live?
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #144
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
where do you live?
Right now? Out of the back of my Jeep! And on friends' couches!

In all seriousness...
I live in Boise, Idaho. Situated in the Treasure Valley. To the north, if you drive about 30 minutes out of town, you find yourself in some serious mountains and forests, if you drive any other direction from town, you find yourself in the High Desert and some more mountains.

The area I was at yesterday was about 35 minutes outside of Boise, and about 15 minutes outside of Nampa (a Suburb of Boise).

Mind sharing why you ask?

Cheers
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #145
WidowYj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The trails look a lot like california!!!
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #146
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Again the jeep is looking Killer

Love the angry eyes !!!

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #147
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I miss the desert so much

Jeep looks great by the way

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #148
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post

Right now? Out of the back of my Jeep! And on friends' couches!

In all seriousness...
I live in Boise, Idaho. Situated in the Treasure Valley. To the north, if you drive about 30 minutes out of town, you find yourself in some serious mountains and forests, if you drive any other direction from town, you find yourself in the High Desert and some more mountains.

The area I was at yesterday was about 35 minutes outside of Boise, and about 15 minutes outside of Nampa (a Suburb of Boise).

Mind sharing why you ask?

Cheers
Looks kind of like az
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #149
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks kind of like az
Yes, it does, except for the lack of cacti.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #150
Kdeome
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Probably skimmed right passed it but what sound bar is that?
Kdeome is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.