Hoe do you get the stock steering wheel off? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hoe do you get the stock steering wheel off?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Sidewinder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hoe do you get the stock steering wheel off?

I'm installing a grant steering wheel today and I looked and don't know how to get the stock one off. Anybody know?

Unread 09-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

you can try just pulling on it(once the nut is removed). some people have had luck with hitting the nut whit a hammer(loosen it, but leave it on the shaft so you don't damage the threads), wile applying upward preasure to the wheel with your legs.
you can also rent a steering wheel puller from most parts stores.

when I swapped my wheel, neither of the first tow methods worked, and I didn't want to make the 30 mile drive to the parts store, so I just made a crude puller from some scrap I had lieing around. basically it was a piece of flat stock with 3 holes drilled in it. two smaller holes that match up with the smaller hoels that are on either side of the wheel, and one that lines up with the center of the colom. I threaded the center hole for a larger bolt, and ground down the end of the bolt so that it would sit in the little indention in the end of the colom. then I dound two smaller bolts that threaded into the wheel. once the flat stock was bolted to the wheel with the smaller bolts, I just turned the larger center bolt with a wrench, and it pulled the wheel right off.
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
KMA Krawler
2007 JK Wrangler 

First you will need to disconnect the battery, then pull the horn cover off, take a phillips screwdriver and take off the three screws(oh yeah...remember how it goes back together) then you will need a wheel puller to take I believe a 19mm nut off. Then you will be ready to put your new one on.

"UNANSWERED THREADS"
KMA Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
Camilo98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Search for how to remove the Ignition switch and there will be write ups on as you have to remove the steering wheel to access the switch. But here is a quick list.
If changing the Ignition switch as well if not ignore this tools list.
Its simple but you will need to go to Napa or an auto parts store and get a GM style lock plate compresser like this but cheaper (| Tool Professional). You might be able to rent one out from a auto parts too. The other thing to get or borrow is a nap ring pliers possible with interchangable tips ( they are inexpensive at some parts store). You can probably do it with out the pliers but just makes it easier.

1) pull horn button ( this comes off with your fingers)
2)remove steering wheel nut (might have to remove the 3 screws for the horn assembly, I'm sure I did but I cant remeber if you need to. Once you are in there you can figure out what is needed)
3) use steering wheel puller to remove wheel ( or just wiggle it around with your hands really well, use just a little penetrating oil if you want. It can be a pain if you dont have a puller with you!)

If you are changing your Ign switch as well...
4) use a lock plate compresser to release the snap ring on the lock plate. (snap right is on the shaft at the bottom and can sometimes be a pain to get off w/out the right snap ring removal pliers,
Camilo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
Sidewinder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. How do you get the horn cover out?
Unread 09-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

just pull on it. there are 3 or or maybe 4 retaining tabs that keeps it snapped in.

you will probably have to give it a good tug, just dont jerk on it or you might break a tab or 2. ask me how I know.

Mine still attaches with one of the tabs broken off.
And you keep the terrorists in check before you get your *** blowed off.[/B][/FONT]
RebuildRookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.