Hockey pucks info! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hockey pucks info!

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
jeepin-wangler

Want to put on some hockey Pucks ( no idea if I'm spelling that right!) in my 95 jeep wrangler yj! I wanna know how much cash it's gonna take, and what im gonna need for parts!

Thanks so much,
Drew

jeepin-wangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Don't do actual hockey pucks, they won't last. You can get a quality body lift for around $100. I went with the Prothane 1" body lift because it comes with replacement sleeves. Some of the others you will have to reuse the stock sleeves and they are a pain to separate them from the stock bushings.

Here's a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Prothane-1-113-BL-Black-Lift-Mount/dp/B003AVSEDG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322529206&sr=8-2
scifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just spend the $100 or so on a quality body lift that has everything in it that you will need.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Rollerblade or skateboard wheels. They are probably made from better materials then what you can buy in a kit. Think of the abuse they take.
Im using skateboard wheels and grade 8 bolts. Check Ebay for a pack of wheels without bearings. I think I got 12 wheels for 15 dollars new

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90 View Post
Rollerblade or skateboard wheels. They are probably made from better materials then what you can buy in a kit. Think of the abuse they take.
Im using skateboard wheels and grade 8 bolts. Check Ebay for a pack of wheels without bearings. I think I got 12 wheels for 15 dollars new
I don't know squat about skateboard wheels, but I know a little about metallurgy. There are definitely bolts that would be worse than a grade 8, but grade 5 bolts would be better for this application. In a "sheer" joint (like a bumper bolt or a receiver hitch) a grade 8 bolt is ideal. In a flex joint (like a Jeep's body mounts, or an engine mount) where movement is allowed but limited, a better choice is a grade 5 bolt. A grade 8 bolt will pretty much resist forces until it breaks. A grade 5 bolt will bend a bit and absorb energy long before they actually break.

What all this means is that with an equal amount of force applied, a grade 5 is less likely to break in a flex joint than a grade 8; however, in sheer, the opposite is true. It isn't about picking which one is stronger, it's about picking which one is more appropriate for the task at hand.
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
jeepin-wangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifone
Don't do actual hockey pucks, they won't last. You can get a quality body lift for around $100. I went with the Prothane 1" body lift because it comes with replacement sleeves. Some of the others you will have to reuse the stock sleeves and they are a pain to separate them from the stock bushings.

Here's a link.

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Prothane-1-113-BL-Black-Lift-Mount/dp/B003AVSEDG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322529206&sr=8-2
What if I want a 2" or 3" lift? Everywhere I look they are like 500$-800$ :/

Thanks for your input!
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
jeepin-wangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90
Good to know, thanks alot!
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin-wangler View Post

Thanks for your input!
Not in a BL you dont

Unread 11-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
I don't know squat about skateboard wheels, but I know a little about metallurgy. There are definitely bolts that would be worse than a grade 8, but grade 5 bolts would be better for this application. In a "sheer" joint (like a bumper bolt or a receiver hitch) a grade 8 bolt is ideal. In a flex joint (like a Jeep's body mounts, or an engine mount) where movement is allowed but limited, a better choice is a grade 5 bolt. A grade 8 bolt will pretty much resist forces until it breaks. A grade 5 bolt will bend a bit and absorb energy long before they actually break.

What all this means is that with an equal amount of force applied, a grade 5 is less likely to break in a flex joint than a grade 8; however, in sheer, the opposite is true. It isn't about picking which one is stronger, it's about picking which one is more appropriate for the task at hand.
So far no problem maan

Unread 11-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
jeepin-wangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90
Not in a BL you dont
Ok I'm probably gonna sound like a noob right now, but what is BL?
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
dr888
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks for your input!
$500-$800? Just google "YJ body lift". There are numerous 3" lifts for less than $100. You may just need to get new bolts that are long enough. When purchasing new bolts, make sure you get the right threads along with the correct grade. I'd also be cautious in using skate board wheels. Even though they may take alot of abuse, it is only with a 150lb person's weight spread between 4 wheels. A jeep is heavier and will be exposed to the elements and chemicals on the rd. just a thought.
dr888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
jeepin-wangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr888

$500-$800? Just google "YJ body lift". There are numerous 3" lifts for less than $100. You may just need to get new bolts that are long enough. When purchasing new bolts, make sure you get the right threads along with the correct grade. I'd also be cautious in using skate board wheels. Even though they may take alot of abuse, it is only with a 150lb person's weight spread between 4 wheels. A jeep is heavier and will be exposed to the elements and chemicals on the rd. just a thought.
It's a good thought tho! I probably won't go with the skateboard wheels anyways! Their may be 3" lifts but don't you have to get shocks, leaf springs, ext.?
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin-wangler

It's a good thought tho! I probably won't go with the skateboard wheels anyways! Their may be 3" lifts but don't you have to get shocks, leaf springs, ext.?
Not for a body lift. You're thinking of a suspension lift.
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
jeepin-wangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr

Not for a body lift. You're thinking of a suspension lift.
O got cha! Is their a good web site that is really cheep that someone could recommend to me? It would be greatly appreciated !
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #15
Shoelessboi
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok I'm probably gonna sound like a noob right now, but what is BL?
Body lift
Shoelessboi is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.