Ho do you take off/put on a new belt on my YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ho do you take off/put on a new belt on my YJ

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 10-25-2001, 07:25 AM   #1
AustinGT

Ho do you take off/put on a new belt on my YJ

The other day my belt started chirping so I went to autozone and bought a belt there. I went to replace it and could not find a way how. I am used to a tentioner pulley that you pull on to allow the belt to be taken off and put on. Can anyone tell me how or direct me to a website that would help. Thanks

AustinGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2001, 01:12 PM   #2
glm 87 wrangler

Not sure what model you have but on the 258
6cyl it is done by loosen the alternator bracket it also has a 3/8 ratchet hole to get leverage to help tighten or you can use a prybar.but if you have a 2.5 or 4.0 it may differ.But all in all check your alternator
to see if there is a slide bolt type.If is there you go...Hope this helps..
Unread 10-25-2001, 03:08 PM   #3
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

if you have power steering you can also loosen it to slip the belt on.
Unread 10-25-2001, 03:50 PM   #4
Big92Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Would help if I knew the year, but the power steering pump is probably your tension point.

-Remove Air cleaner assembly completely

-Right above the power steering pump fill cap there is a bolt at the top of the bracket loosen it, but don't remove.

-There are 2 bolts on the back of the power steering pump that are in slip channels. Again, loosen but don't remove.

- Then down in under the bottom of the power steering pump there are 2 bolts one is a locking bolt with the head point towards the radiator. Loosen it but don't remove it. Then there is a tension bolt where the head is pointing towards the fender well. Loosen it and your belt will gain/loose tension so it can be removed.

-Then reverse to tighten everything up

* I hate the design. It's to much work to replace the belt in my opinion. I have done it a few times. I belive the size is 13mm or close to it.

~Rick
Unread 10-25-2001, 05:00 PM   #5
glm 87 wrangler

Man mine way differs from yalls sound like work!!
Unread 10-26-2001, 07:59 AM   #6
AustinGT

Sorry, I forgot to put the year...it is a '95. Thanks for the input, I am going to try this tonight.
AustinGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2001, 06:05 PM   #7
jpwranglr9

i changed a belt the alternater way it its tough. reaching the bolt and removing was easy, but getting it back was hard. then i had to loosen the power searing pump to tighten the belt anyways. so the next time i did it i just went the power searing rought and tightened it all up there and left the alternater alone.
1995 YJ ,SOA with 4" procomp front 3.5" BDS rear 1" shackle rear, custom stearing, 35x12.50x15 pro-comp MTs, warn xd9000i, on-board air from A/C, dana 44 rear and 30 front with 4.56, powertrax no-spin rear, custom disks rear/trutrac front, warn front shafts, HD SYE kit, HD front and rear driveshafts, Warn 4X flairs, PIAA 520 ligts and on and on and on :)
jpwranglr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2001, 06:18 PM   #8
I-4

there is a idler pulley just below the power steering pump (on 4 bangers)loosen the pulley,then take and turn the bolt at the top of the idler pulley bracket.that is how you tension the belt properly.believe there is a similar set up on the 6 cylinder jeeps as well.you don't even have to fart w/ the alternator or power steering pump!
Unread 10-26-2001, 10:44 PM   #9
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I found it a PITA to get to the tension bolt under the PS pump. Instead of going that way, I just loosened the Alternator. Then used a prybar to re-apply tension to the belt and get the Alternator back in.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.