Hmmm, Aluminum=- anyone tried to weld up a 231 trans case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hmmm, Aluminum=- anyone tried to weld up a 231 trans case?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 07-03-2014, 12:49 AM   #1
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmm, Aluminum=- anyone tried to weld up a 231 trans case?

Title says it all

cruisingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #2
Professur
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Any welding or machine shop will be equipped to tig weld that easily for you. A European friend on another site shattered the bellhousing of his thm-400 transmission. Since shipping alone would be more than the cost of a new housing, he took it to a pro welding shop. They built a jig to hold all the parts in alignment and flowed metal. 6 months in he's still rolling.
Professur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i buy them for 50-75 bucks...

your profile says you're on hawaii. not sure if it helps with shipping. but they're pretty cheap just to buy another one.
Unread 07-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the front half of my tc housing when I busted out one of the mounting holes... didn't seem worth the effort to try to weld it in. Being it's a cast aluminum piece I imagine it could cause issues depending on what they used for the mold... a couple grains of sand in an inclusion will screw an aluminum bead pretty quick.
Unread 07-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had mine welded where the mounting bolts are. Got in an accident and part of the flange cracked off. Put the bolt on and welled in around it and it came out perfect

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I broke my 231 pretty bad. Welded it up with a mig spool gun. Been beating on it for a year now. And it was a free fix
Unread 07-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I broke the bejesus out of mine. Cracked clean in half. Live in Hawaii, outer island at that- it is like the geographical middle of freakin nowhere. Price you pay to live in Paradise. There is simply no better vehicle on earth for my Island than a Jeep- XJ, ZJ or YJ. I love my YJ the most when it is just me and one or two of my kids and my woman. I have to try and fix what I got. I am a top notch welder and have a good tig machine. It is probably pretty "dirty" aluminum considering it is cast- and hearing the posts here, I have confidence it should hold. I have welded up a couple motorcycle cases with good results already- despite my initial trepidation.

Thanks for the posts guys.
cruisingram is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.