Hitch ball mount snapped in half! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hitch ball mount snapped in half!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 10-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hitch ball mount snapped in half!

Sooo......planning on picking up buddies trailer to get a load of firewood tonight. I was doing a little inspection of the wiring and ball mount, as I havent pulled anything in over a year. Had a LOT of mud packed around it from wheeling at The Cliffs last weekend so I was beating it off () (the mud that is) and last time I swung the mallet it snapped the ball mount right off!
Must have been a real cheapo unit the PO had. Problem I have now is getting the rusted remains of it out of the hitch so I can put a new one in. Any suggestions other than PB and the air chisel?? I hate rust

Unread 10-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

cutoff wheel on an angle grinder. Cut it right at the base so the bolt and shaft fall out.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
MONEYJPIT
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just get a new insert and ball.

Those "real cheapo units" can be had for a song!
Unread 10-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
cutoff wheel on an angle grinder. Cut it right at the base so the bolt and shaft fall out.
Count yourself lucky that it did not break when you were towing.

Rusty, did you sell your YJ? There is nothing in your profile. Also it appears that you are driving a turd car? Who is a turd burgler?
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post

Rusty, did you sell your YJ? There is nothing in your profile. Also it appears that you are driving a turd car? Who is a turd burgler?
Not to speak for Rusty, but yeah he sold it C4C.

No kiddin on the lucky part, that is why I check it all out good b4 towin'.
I am at the shop now hittin' it with the air chisel, tryin to save the hitch so I will just have to get a new draw bar/ball mount, which I have plenty of here. Plus the hitch has prob been on it since 93
Thanx for the input, I'll keep ya posted.
Unread 10-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post

GrapeApe did that for my license plate lol. It is my Pontiac G3 getting almost 40mpg. The YJ went to the C4C unfortunatly but it was a true rig to be sent to that program.

I like to look at it as TRD Brgler as in, I will go steal my brothers '09 Tundra TRD RockWarrior package whenever I want to go wheeling.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Got it! Air chisel, Aerocroil, PB, and a BFH. I might not ever get the new draw bar out again (had to drive it home the last 2 in with the BFH ), but I'm towin' again! Thanx for the input gentlemen
Unread 10-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
GrapeApe did that for my license plate lol. It is my Pontiac G3 getting almost 40mpg. The YJ went to the C4C unfortunatly but it was a true rig to be sent to that program.

I like to look at it as TRD Brgler as in, I will go steal my brothers '09 Tundra TRD RockWarrior package whenever I want to go wheeling.

Looks like the Jerry Bransfords version of the G3

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Got ya, I was wondering. Thanks.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.