HIT by a bus. RIP 95 YJ. What Next? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HIT by a bus. RIP 95 YJ. What Next?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! 2 door JK Recruit Half hardtop Kits Now available!

Unread 03-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #1
doclees
1995 YJ Wrangler 

HIT by a bus. RIP 95 YJ. What Next?

Help me find a replacement for my beloved YJ. Can't be another Wrangler because my wife was seriously injured in the accident and there is no way she will get back in one for many years if at all.

I loved the ease of working on the YJ along with the simplicity of design and cheap parts. Its dependability was solid for me. The availability of parts also a plus. I will miss the naked ride.

My budget is in the 5-6k range. Any recommendations?

doclees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

maybe its too close to a wrangler, but I just saw a cool international harvester scout on ebay: http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4889061280.html
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
mickcollinsb16b

1989 YJ Wrangler 

XJ all day.
Unread 03-03-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You say that your wife was seriously injured in the accident, maybe it's time to focus on something comfortable for her or does she have her own car? Hope she recovers well.

BTW, it's funny that you refer to your Jeep as 'beloved' and your wife as well, wife.

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
Unread 03-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #5
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Fj60
Unread 03-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #6
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

XJ, or KK
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2015, 05:08 AM   #7
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear about your accident, but you said it was hit by a "bus" I think most people would be seriously injured if not dead in any vehicle hit by a bus. Maybe another wrangler and your first mod is full cage? If that route I would suggest a TJ because of ride quality for your wife and it fits your budget.
Unread 03-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #8
doclees
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks folks the liberty may be a possibility. Anything that looks like a short wheelbase box wont work. I would love to go range rover but they seem to be a crap shoot for reliability. What ever it is when its 20+ years old I want there to be enough of them made in the US to find parts in the bone yard.
Unread 03-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
Luuca
Typical /F12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Section I: The Rant

Get a Volvo, or a Subaru, or a minivan, or whatever your wife tells you to. Oh, and go get milk and bread, pick up the drycleaning, and take this to her mom across town.

While I am sympathetic to your wife being injured in the accident, I think it's pathetic that you will allow her to blame the YJ for her injuries. If I were to guess, I'd say that many of the wives of YJ owners on here hold dear to their hearts the family YJ nearly as dear as the members here. The YJ we own is now more a member of the family and we commonly refer to her in her Christian name is casual conversation, as in "I'm going to take Alice for her smog check." Wasn't always like this, but my wife has come to love the YJ nearly as much as I do (sometimes more depending upon what's wrong with it at the time).

If your wife was less than enthusiastic about your Jeep, and/or there was some very real and specific reason as to how/why the YJ directly contributed to her injuries, then she may have a reason for allowing her fear to dictate your vehicle choice. Not a valid point, but a point nonetheless. If, on the other hand, she loved the YJ and it was the Bus' fault she is injured, sack the eff up and get another Wrangler.

Section II: The Suggestion

If I had to move away from the CJ,YJ,JK platform and into another Jeep platform, I would choose a 1991-1997 XJ. Reasons why I would choose an XJ (if I were in your situation)
  1. The XJ provides a safer feeling environment. By eliminating the soft-top and going to a unibody, your wife will feel safer.
  2. The XJ provides a direct knowledge base transfer of troubleshooting and parts familiarity with your previous YJ experience. The engines, transmissions, ECU etc are nearly identical to the YJ versions. By staying within this realm, all you know and have learned will still be viable. Moving to a FJ or other make, you will be at nearly ground zero.
  3. The XJ is a cheap option. For 5-6K I can build a killer XJ (and have done so a few times - ask around). I can find 4WD XJs that are in good overall condition (read as nearly stock or completely stock) that need a trans or engine work for around $800-$1500 nearly any day I want to. Starting from this point, you dump another $5000 into a good used lift, Tires and rims (used), lockers (new), bumpers and a winch, and you have one sick XJ.
  4. The ride quality is better. Sorry YJ fans, but the ride is better in the XJ - coils up front make it better along with the wheel base.

Section III: The Quote of the Thread

There is a time to take counsel of your fears, and there is a time to never listen to any fear. ~George S. Patton

Luck Favours The Prepared
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #10
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oooh, I have a real suggestion:

Toyota 4runner! body on frame and solid rear axle. Toyota reliability.

Also, I really like the XJ, like others have suggested.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #11
Luuca
Typical /F12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

One last thing... can I have your brake booster? I'll pay shipping.

Luck Favours The Prepared
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #12
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hahaha
Unread 03-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #13
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

if you guys already have a family vehicle and the yj was yours, i would get another yj. my yj is mine and the wife has a family suv. the yj is only used when i use it for things i do alone, bike races, store runs, playing around, going to work on rainy days, etc.

not saying to exclude her opinion but if you already have a family vehicle, then the "work truck" should be what you choose.

i can tell you one thing htough, from my dealings with the ol yj and life, if anything happens to mine, i won't replace it with a wrangler again. having had two yjs and a jku, they are almost useless for the things i require in a vehicle that only i use. my bikes don;t fit in them without major mods to the jeep and then they are not secure. i can't carry anything from the hardware store in them. other then driving around and looking cool, they are pretty useless for daily things so i understand you looking at other options. my next vehicle will be a truck and hte jeep will be a play truck to be used only for going to work when its raining or running to hte store or 6 flags or something like that. if i could fit my bike into the jeep and it be secure-able, i would never look for another vehicle but the fact that i cannot use the top with my bike in the jeep pretty much ruins having a jeep as an only vehicle for me.
Unread 03-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #14
JohnnyZJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
if you guys already have a family vehicle and the yj was yours, i would get another yj. my yj is mine and the wife has a family suv. the yj is only used when i use it for things i do alone, bike races, store runs, playing around, going to work on rainy days, etc.

not saying to exclude her opinion but if you already have a family vehicle, then the "work truck" should be what you choose.

i can tell you one thing htough, from my dealings with the ol yj and life, if anything happens to mine, i won't replace it with a wrangler again. having had two yjs and a jku, they are almost useless for the things i require in a vehicle that only i use. my bikes don;t fit in them without major mods to the jeep and then they are not secure. i can't carry anything from the hardware store in them. other then driving around and looking cool, they are pretty useless for daily things so i understand you looking at other options. my next vehicle will be a truck and hte jeep will be a play truck to be used only for going to work when its raining or running to hte store or 6 flags or something like that. if i could fit my bike into the jeep and it be secure-able, i would never look for another vehicle but the fact that i cannot use the top with my bike in the jeep pretty much ruins having a jeep as an only vehicle for me.
hahaha. i agree. YJ is useless minus the cool factor/wheeling factor.

for OP, if you want to keep it in the Jeep family look no further than the WJ or WK.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" toyos.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #15
doclees
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks LUUCA for the rant. Its not that she blames the Jeep for her injuries its that she does and will associate a wrangler body style with a tour bus bearing down on her at about 30mph. This is just how stress response and ptsd works. As for parts, its located off the pinegrove exit on 81 in PA. Im sure the insurance company will sell it cheap. 180k miles. No rust.

Ok brain just starting to come back. Ive been reading XJ as TJ. Now it makes sense. Yeah so same 4.0 engine and transmissions yes? Showed her a picture of one and no association with the YJ in her mind. What problems specific to look for in these? Lots of working room under hood? Do they have the same axle issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.