Hit a bump and the Jeep goes sideways - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hit a bump and the Jeep goes sideways

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
cvorden
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hit a bump and the Jeep goes sideways

Ok first weekend I have been able to drive my YJ on the road. I was going down a back road (paved) and hit a bump about 30mph and the back end felt like it was coming around. I am planning on driving it down to the beach next month and I'm afraid if I hit a bump in the road when I am going 60 its going to get sideways and roll. Its an 87 with stock suspension. Any ideas? Thanks

cvorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
dadstoys2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well chances are that you have some suspension issues but with out seeing it or driving it I am not sure what way to point you. Can be partly from bad shocks to bad bushings front and rear.
ax15 swap
dadstoys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Sleuthhound
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Has the rear track bar been removed, and the front one left in? I could be mistaken, but I believe if one is taken out and not the other, it can cause something similar to that to happen. Probably wrong though, so hopefully someone else will chime in.
Sleuthhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

stiff springs, stiff shocks, over inflated tires, loose shackles, loose u-bolts, turdy 5 getting ready to explode. Start with those.

WRM

j/k on the last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
cvorden
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You guys are freaking genius!!! The back track bar is missing and the front is still on. Sorry for being such a noob when it comes to this stuff. Should I just buy a rear or take off the front?
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
postaldave
1996 XJ Cherokee 

take the front off. period.

you do not need trac bars.

but that doesn't mean that was your problem
it still sounds like a something is binding in the rear.

if you stand on the rear bumper does it it go up and down any?
[url]http://www.facebook.com/slash5[/url]

[QUOTE=xdgt03;9409004]I removed mine. It is against federal law but so is being an illegal immigrant so...
[/QUOTE]
postaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
cvorden
1987 YJ Wrangler 

They are soaking now. Kinda makes sense that it would cause it but then again nothing on a YJ makes sense until you turn a wrench.
Unread 05-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
89CoolJeep

Honestly taking the front trac bar and driving safetly all depends on the truck. For my set up I leave front in and back out. On bumpy sharp turns I do have that jump off the ground feeling, and the sideways feeling. Also ever since its been off, on sharp accelerating turn one wheels goes up in the air
89CoolJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.