post #1 of Old 09-28-2001, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
RFWrangler

"His/Hers" Transmission setup for 92 YJ???????

I was talkin to my buddy here at school the other day and we got on the subject of trannys. For now my YJ is an auto but when I go to ger it up for offroad, I would like to convert to a Stick. He mentioned the "his/hers" Setup that many auto companys seem to be using lately. for those that don't know what I am talking about, they are selectable and can be drivin as either a Stick or an Auto. So I got to thinkin, the reason I like it being auto now is because I go to school in Providence and hate driving a stick in a city. its just too much of a hassle. However, I want a stick for wheeling. So a his/hers setup would be ideal for me. So:
1. Does anyone know who makes a kit like this for my YJ?
2. Has anyone done this conversion?
3. The P word.....
4. If you have done it, do you like it?
TIA Everyone!

My 92 YJ
Clarion BD216, RF 200aIV, Clarion APA2030, RF HE2 12's, Rf 4x6's, RF 1" Tweets, Eclipse EUU-1300, Aura Bass Shakers Security: Clifford Power: Optima Yellow top,Thrush turbo 2 1/2" Exhaust, Radio Shack Sport CB, 102" whip antenna, Dual tips on Exhaust, K&N custom intake, KC Lightbar, 4 KC Daylighters.
Scored a 139 on the Jeep Rater.
post #2 of Old 09-28-2001, 03:59 PM
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well, the type of tranny you are referring to is simply an electronically-controlled automatic that has an override program that allows the tranny to simulate a manual transmission. What would perhaps be more rational for you (as it does not require replacing the whole transmission) is a manual valve body.

Basically, an MVB turns your automatic into a "clutchless manual" by replacing the factory transmission valve body and solenoids with a valve body having manual valves controlled by the shifter position. B&M makes manual valve bodies, but I'm not 100% sure if they have any Chrysler applications. I know for a fact that they make 'em for GM trannies (from the TH350 all the way to the 4L60E).

=========
'94 YJ Sahara Hardtop
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
post #3 of Old 09-28-2001, 04:00 PM
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

By the way, what's the "P Word"??

=========
'94 YJ Sahara Hardtop
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
post #4 of Old 09-28-2001, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
RFWrangler

The "P" word? What else, the college students main concern......... PRICE
The manual Valve body sounds like an intersting Idea. I would be interested to know if anyone has done this and wheeled it. And how well it worked for them. I mean I can wheel pretty well on the auto but I know a stick is better.

Where would I find info on the MVB? and has anyone tried it or know if they do make em for my YJ?
TIA again guys. and thanks for the response Nightclaw.

My 92 YJ
Clarion BD216, RF 200aIV, Clarion APA2030, RF HE2 12's, Rf 4x6's, RF 1" Tweets, Eclipse EUU-1300, Aura Bass Shakers Security: Clifford Power: Optima Yellow top,Thrush turbo 2 1/2" Exhaust, Radio Shack Sport CB, 102" whip antenna, Dual tips on Exhaust, K&N custom intake, KC Lightbar, 4 KC Daylighters.
Scored a 139 on the Jeep Rater.