"His/Hers" Transmission setup for 92 YJ??????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > "His/Hers" Transmission setup for 92 YJ???????

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140

Unread 09-28-2001, 02:19 PM   #1
RFWrangler

"His/Hers" Transmission setup for 92 YJ???????

I was talkin to my buddy here at school the other day and we got on the subject of trannys. For now my YJ is an auto but when I go to ger it up for offroad, I would like to convert to a Stick. He mentioned the "his/hers" Setup that many auto companys seem to be using lately. for those that don't know what I am talking about, they are selectable and can be drivin as either a Stick or an Auto. So I got to thinkin, the reason I like it being auto now is because I go to school in Providence and hate driving a stick in a city. its just too much of a hassle. However, I want a stick for wheeling. So a his/hers setup would be ideal for me. So:
1. Does anyone know who makes a kit like this for my YJ?
2. Has anyone done this conversion?
3. The P word.....
4. If you have done it, do you like it?
TIA Everyone!

Clarion BD216, RF 200aIV, Clarion APA2030, RF HE2 12's, Rf 4x6's, RF 1" Tweets, Eclipse EUU-1300, Aura Bass Shakers Security: Clifford Power: Optima Yellow top,Thrush turbo 2 1/2" Exhaust, Radio Shack Sport CB, 102" whip antenna, Dual tips on Exhaust, K&N custom intake, KC Lightbar, 4 KC Daylighters.
Scored a 139 on the Jeep Rater.
RFWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2001, 03:59 PM   #2
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well, the type of tranny you are referring to is simply an electronically-controlled automatic that has an override program that allows the tranny to simulate a manual transmission. What would perhaps be more rational for you (as it does not require replacing the whole transmission) is a manual valve body.

Basically, an MVB turns your automatic into a "clutchless manual" by replacing the factory transmission valve body and solenoids with a valve body having manual valves controlled by the shifter position. B&M makes manual valve bodies, but I'm not 100% sure if they have any Chrysler applications. I know for a fact that they make 'em for GM trannies (from the TH350 all the way to the 4L60E).
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2001, 04:00 PM   #3
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

By the way, what's the "P Word"??
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2001, 04:20 PM   #4
RFWrangler

The "P" word? What else, the college students main concern......... PRICE
The manual Valve body sounds like an intersting Idea. I would be interested to know if anyone has done this and wheeled it. And how well it worked for them. I mean I can wheel pretty well on the auto but I know a stick is better.

Where would I find info on the MVB? and has anyone tried it or know if they do make em for my YJ?
TIA again guys. and thanks for the response Nightclaw.
Clarion BD216, RF 200aIV, Clarion APA2030, RF HE2 12's, Rf 4x6's, RF 1" Tweets, Eclipse EUU-1300, Aura Bass Shakers Security: Clifford Power: Optima Yellow top,Thrush turbo 2 1/2" Exhaust, Radio Shack Sport CB, 102" whip antenna, Dual tips on Exhaust, K&N custom intake, KC Lightbar, 4 KC Daylighters.
Scored a 139 on the Jeep Rater.
RFWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.