high steer help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > high steer help!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 05-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
FlexinYJ33
1993 YJ Wrangler 

high steer help!

i just got done doing a dana 44 swap front and rear, with a 6 in wheelbase stretch, with SOA, now im onto the steering part of the build, i dont have many options besides getting a high steer kit, if i want it to drive nicely, so my question is, wheres the best place to get a kit? whether its just a new knuckle or a knuckle and a drag link.. i just cant find much for a dana 44 axle, all seem to be for a dana 30

FlexinYJ33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I know as far as factory TJ axles go, the 30 and 44 both share the same knuckles, brakes, etc., so a high steer kit for a 30 should fit a 44 as well, but that might just be with the TJ specific Dana's. Where did you acquire your axles from?
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
FlexinYJ33
1993 YJ Wrangler 

axles are from a 1989 grand wagoneer
FlexinYJ33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That's an HP44 with manual lockout hubs, correct?
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Should b an lp 44, if u have flat top knuckles on it there r several companies out there that make nice bolt on arms for ur dana 44. All u have to do drill and tap holes and bolt to the top of ur current knuckle. The arms will have a spot for ur tie rod an drag link, they will not b above the knuckle, giving u true high steer and not crossover like a JB bracket type setup. They r a little harder to look up but several companies out there make real nice ones. Ur best bet for the drag link and the tie rod r to buy a kit that u can cut and weld to ur specific length needed. I would try something like ruff stuff specialities if u r looking for a complete kit. Blue torch fab makes the high steer arms u need for several type of rod ends and heim joint steering setups. U could even buy the hole kit for the tie rod, drag link, and get the dana 44 high steer arms from them. There r other companies out there but I do no blue torch makes quality stuff tho.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Search on my user name for steering and Ackerman.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Cajun90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Give these guys a call, they can point you in the right direction.
http://www.wfoconcepts.com/Default.aspx
Cajun90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexinYJ33 View Post
axles are from a 1989 grand wagoneer
Pretty sure those are not flat top knuckles.
If they are you will have to have them milled and drilled.
Flat tops are your best option.
Read this for your best options and to figure out if the ones on your 44 are flat tops or not.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html
Also check out this article.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ngresearch.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.