high performance 4cyl? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > high performance 4cyl?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
njyj609
1989 YJ Wrangler 

high performance 4cyl?

I bought my 89yj about 4 months ago , my first Jeep.... I thought I wanted more power but after reading several threads on this forum about how much of a dog the 4cyl is, I am now wondering If my 2.5 has been modified previously.... the guy I bought it from had absolutely zero knowledge of the Jeep as he had just bought it himself, and I have noticed while working on the Jeep that all the engine gaskets are new& it is obvious that whoever was the previous owner was a good, meticulous mechanic .

my question is this: my yj does 10mph in 1st , 30in 2nd, 45 in 3rd , and easily 65mph in 4th gear, I routinely do 75mph in 5th gear& could go 85 I'm sure but would be a bit scary I think..... i can accelerate up hill in 4th gear.....is this normal for the 4cyl?...

njyj609 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'd like to know whats been done to it if you find out, Mine struggles uphill in 4th and 5th
flea1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

check and see if your axles have tags identifying the internal gears
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
njyj609
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I will check & get back to you ,but I've been under the Jeep many times....... seems stock , although it may have been re-geared possibly, I do suspect that If it is stronger than usual for a 4cyl Jeep it is probably the engine ..... I'm just not sure If this performance is unusual ......it's not a speed demon by any measure, but it is quite capable.... I can actually get the holeshot at a stoplight If I get on it a bit.... ha
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Probably geared, the little 4 has almost 0 afteremarket support that will really give you extra power.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What gears would help with the acceleration? Mine does ok in 123, but in 4&5 it's a little slow to pick up and go, but it will do 85, barely. Have you calculated mpg yet?
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
njyj609
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure If your MPG question was to me or Dwayne but I average about 15mpg..... the idea that my Jeep has been re-geared seems reasonable except that
1: it has much torque in low gears
2: the drivetrain was rusty& neglected( ujoints all shot, bolts rusty& original, gaskets all appear to be old)..... at the same time, the engine is fresh, clean & well maintained....idk...... mabey this is common performance for a fresh 4cyl?
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I could push my 2.5L heap to 80 stock with the 29" tires and a good tail wind. There is nothing that I know of that someone would do to make the engine perform better. The 2.5L is a good engine but just runs out of juice fast.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Your experience isn't too far off from what I get in my YJ on 35s.

I can accelerate to 70mph in 4th gear up hill if I want. I can push 5th to 85 in some situations.

My 4 cylinder was rebuilt 8 years ago and I keep it code free geared correctly.

I think most people who complain about the 4cylinder's power aren't giving it a fighting chance by allowing vacuum leaks and bad sensors, cap and plugs.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe the previous owner put in a speedo gear for 32" tires instead of one for 31's! Actually, I did that when I first got mine; the speedo always read higher than what I was really doing, but it felt good. Mine seems to be inline with the performance of yours; I have a Jasper engine with 30K on it with all good lines, sensors and gaskets. As you said, no speed demon, but it gets the job done with a lesson on humility now and then!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.