High idle then dies 88 yj 4.2 - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > High idle then dies 88 yj 4.2

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #76
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Bank account is $100 lighter, but i got a duralast battery. I just put it in along with new terminal clamps. Fired up, idling well. I'm going to get gas now, so this will serve as a test drive. Wish me luck.

JeepJon15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #77
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

lets see what happens, sounds good so far... make sure to check if the lights stay at the same brightness too, OK?
Now that you got the stuff, it makes sense to start doing the fine-tuning - like Old4X says, a vac gauge is indispensible for putting the fine-tune on things.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #78
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

And that was the best its ever driven. No more miss, hesitation after i push the gas, or dimming head lights. If i knew $100 bucks for a battery would show that much improvement i would have bought it with a smile on my face. Though i will credit some of the improvement to the carb fix.

I also picked up a vacuum gauge and spark plug gapper. That is on the list for either tonight if i have time or tomorrow.

Only thing its doing now is: When started it idles in park at around 1000rpm. In drive it kicks down to about 850-900. Haynes says 850 in park is ideal, so im just on the high side. Once i drive it and go back into park, the idle shoots up to about 1500 rpms. Will this likely be corrected once i tune the carb with that gauge?

You guys' help made all the difference. Really, if i were on my own the jeep would still be rotting in the driveway. I dont want to jump the gun, but i think i might be able to drive myself to work tomorrow!! haha
Unread 12-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #79
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJon15 View Post
I also picked up a vacuum gauge and spark plug gapper. That is on the list for either tonight if i have time or tomorrow.

Only thing its doing now is: When started it idles in park at around 1000rpm. In drive it kicks down to about 850-900. Haynes says 850 in park is ideal, so im just on the high side. Once i drive it and go back into park, the idle shoots up to about 1500 rpms. Will this likely be corrected once i tune the carb with that gauge?
Yep, once you go thru the fine-tune with the vac-gauge and timing, etc. It should settle right into perfect. Also with properly gapped plugs. Enjoy the drive to work!
Unread 12-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #80
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks so much, pretty excited about being able to drive again. If youre still on i have one more quick question. Its dark out, and the garage is occupied. Would it hurt to drive like this tonight and tomorrow morning? Less than 50 total miles, and then fine tune/set gaps tomorrow?

Should i get my alternator checked at autozone? Only reason i ask is because i'm worried that may have drained and killed the other battery. It was getting old, 7-9 years. I'm just being cautious because i dont want to ruin the new battery.
Unread 12-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #81
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJon15 View Post
Thanks so much, pretty excited about being able to drive again. If youre still on i have one more quick question. Its dark out, and the garage is occupied. Would it hurt to drive like this tonight and tomorrow morning? Less than 50 total miles, and then fine tune/set gaps tomorrow?

Should i get my alternator checked at autozone? Only reason i ask is because i'm worried that may have drained and killed the other battery. It was getting old, 7-9 years. I'm just being cautious because i dont want to ruin the new battery.
It would be an Excellent idea to check the alt possibly tonight if you can. I was worried about that too. It shouldn't hurt it to drive with the tuneing a bit off. Maybe kill your MPG's or make it weak on the highway, but it wouldn't actually hurt it permanently.
Unread 12-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #82
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hah, that alt better be good or so help me...

Thanks man, i'll try to get over there tonight, and just do the tuning tomorrow.
Unread 12-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #83
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

II just went out and tuned the carb with the vacuum gauge. I was already pretty close, but i got it to hover right in between 20 and 21. Still wants to stall when i put it in gear straight out of park if i have my foot on the brake. If i put it in drive and dont hold the break it will idle forward and then i can hit the brakes and it is usually fine.

I didnt have time to gap the plugs today, gotta be to work in an hour. I'll get that done tonight time permitting. Just wanted to post the progress, its still running well besides that small problem.

edit: I'm also running it with the timing closer to 10*, just because it seems to run better that way. Maybe after i set the plug gaps it will give me a hotter spark so i can take it back down to 8.
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #84
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Sounds like you about got it. Good job, enjoy the ride.
Unread 12-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #85
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks so much. I learned a lot from you guys.

On a side note, and dont feel obligated to answer. I posted a new thread for this, but i thought maybe one of you two may know the answer.

My passenger side break light and turn signal werent working when i had the headlights on after replacing the driver's side housing. The bracket was all rusted out, and it was having basically the same issue described above before replacement, and the passenger side was working fine.

Anyway, i went out and pushed the wire harness under the steering column together real good (didnt feel loose at all) and swapped the bulbs from driver to passenger side. Now everything is working fine.

I hadnt checked on it since battery replacement a couple days ago, could this have solved it? I just want to make sure the problem doesn't come back. I already got a warning for the driver's side brake light being out a couple months ago. Also, my windshield wipers work sporadically, maybe unrelated but cant hurt to add that extra info.

Thanks guys, and like i said, i posted that in a new thread so if you don't have time to solve my problems anymore its no biggie!

Tags
4.2 , carb , hei , idle , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.