High idle. Just swapped my 2.5 TB for a 4.0 TB - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > High idle. Just swapped my 2.5 TB for a 4.0 TB

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #16
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sprayed all around with carb cleaner and no difference
Installed a new Tps no difference
Reset the computer no difference

BUT when I turn the wheels while idling the rpms quick jump up 600 and back down
What is that?

Tomorrow im putting the 2.5 tb back on

ROTTEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #17
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The jump in idle comes from the computer. It's the same mechanism that makes your idle jump when you turn the air conditioning on.

As for your high idle, I agree with the previous poster that it probably is a result of you not opening up the hole in the intake manifold. I don't see the point in putting on a 4.0 TB if you don't open up the intake. You won't flow any more air (which is the whole point of the swap). More airflow = more HP.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #18
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Fair enough!

Off she goes tomorrow
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
The jump in idle comes from the computer. It's the same mechanism that makes your idle jump when you turn the air conditioning on.

As for your high idle, I agree with the previous poster that it probably is a result of you not opening up the hole in the intake manifold. I don't see the point in putting on a 4.0 TB if you don't open up the intake. You won't flow any more air (which is the whole point of the swap). More airflow = more HP.
I did nothing to my manifold, that is not the problem.

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #20
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Give this write a read and see if it is of any help.

What sensors do I keep from the 2.5. Which ones do I transfer over from the 4.0

you can transfer the TPS from the 2.5L but seems that they are the same between the 2, to be safe since you know yours is working I would do it anyway.

for the IAC (also known as AIS) you _need_ to use from the 2.5L both the plunger with the motor (sometimes referred to as the solenoid) and the housing that is bolted with 4 tamper proof bolts to the t/b - you should just take those 4 bolts out and transfer the whole thing over, but you'll need the proper torx bit with a hole in the center - they have a ton of thread lock on and are hard to take off, so make sure you don't strip the torx teeth off of it or you'll need to come up with some creative way to take them off afterwards.

if you have the MAP sensor on the t/b (TJ) then you can keep the 4.0L one if it's on there (it's the same as the 2.5L), but again this is if you know for sure it's good.

There are measurable gains to be had.

make sure you changed over the AIS/IAC housing if I remember now that was the problem with my high idle. I just remember I had to play around with the swapped items reset the computer drove it around for a little bit and it worked great.

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #21
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok we can let this subject sleep the rest of the winter. 2.5 is back on and it's running fine

Few thoughts
I did not change the iac housing. I didn't understand until I took the tb off what the housing was
Also I did not grind the intake

So one of those two things is the culprit

One big change is loss of power. The 4.0 tb Definantly makes a difference.
Unread 01-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #22
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

So power increase?
Unread 01-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #23
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The power increase is noticeable

I really suggest it. 75 in 5th with new 32s. Before I could barely do 65

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.