High fuel pressure at the fuel rail - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > High fuel pressure at the fuel rail

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
ChiroSean
1994 YJ Wrangler 

High fuel pressure at the fuel rail

Just wondering what kind of problems running my jeep with high fuel pressure may cause? Back when I was having trouble getting the jeep to start I found that the fuel pressure was up around 80psi when the engine was running. I changed the fuel pressure regulator and it didn't make any difference. Still had very high fuel pressure. The only thing I have noticed is the gas mileage is terrible maybe 8-10 mpg. I thought it was from the larger 31" tires but some people I talked to said the bad gas mileage was from the high fuel pressure. Other bad gas mileage, can the high fuel pressure cause any other damage or problems???

ChiroSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

high pressure is caused by a bad regulator or a kink or restriction in the fuel return line.

High fuel pressure will make it run rich like yours is.

To isolate the cause of high pressure, relieve system pressure and connect a tap hose to the fuel return line.
Direct the hose into a container and energize the fuel pump.
If fuel pressure is now within specifications, the fuel return line is blocked.
If pressure is still high, the new pressure regulator is faulty.

High pressure is usually caused by a bad pressure regulator or when a pressure return line to the fuel tank is kinked.
When there is a vacuum line to the pressure regulator, part of the procedure is to pull the vacuum hose off while the engine idles.
The pressure should rise about 8-10 psi in most systems when the hose is pulled.
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'

Last edited by bigsquat; 12-17-2008 at 09:36 AM..
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

one other thought is that your not getting vacum to the regulator. maybe a small crack or kink? put a vacum guage on it or take a hand vac pump and put it right to the regulator and see if the pressure drops
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 05:16 AM   #4
drew2000
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

High fuel pressure can also mess up your emissions if that applies to your locality.

Drew
Unread 12-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If your return line is blocked or kinked it will make your new regulater go bad.
Most likely it is pinched in the rear where it goes through the cross member. Your supply, return, wires and the hoses for the vacume canister go through at the same place. Over time that cross member rusts and the hole gets smaller.
One way to make it bigger is with a 1" body lift. I ended up running hard lines through that area. They are smaller diam. than the rubber lines.
Unread 12-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
ChiroSean
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply's, I won't get a chance to check it out until this weekend, but I'll probably start by disconnecting the return line and routing it to a bucket. If it is blocked should I remove the old line and replace it or can I just run a new rubber fuel line back to the back? I think the vacuum to the regulator is good.
ChiroSean is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.