High fuel pressure - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > High fuel pressure

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh i gotcha drill a hole up higher thant the rubber piece. Btw that piece is pretty ruffed up they sell it separately?

atldude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nope, I just pulled it off mine completely and tossed it out. It isn't needed. You can saw the pipe off shorter if it worries you. Like take an inch off where the rubber piece was. It won't hurt anything.

One other thing I did was reached in there and completely pulled out that white plastic tray from the bottom of the tank. It was busted halfway off already by itself and I didn't want to give it the chance to jam things up.
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #18
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That would definitely work if the rubber part's not critical. I think it only helps keep it in place but i don't see it going anywhere event if it was missing. Still held pretty good up top.

Thanks guys i'll go that route and see how it goes. Tank does have some cracks on the ouside nothing leaking but might look into it at some point.

Would some RTV help the cracks and keep them from leaking or is that a no no?
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atldude View Post
That would definitely work if the rubber part's not critical. I think it only helps keep it in place but i don't see it going anywhere event if it was missing. Still held pretty good up top.

Thanks guys i'll go that route and see how it goes. Tank does have some cracks on the ouside nothing leaking but might look into it at some point.

Would some RTV help the cracks and keep them from leaking or is that a no no?
I would be surprised if the RTV actually sticks to anything. I've patched plastic tanks in the past with a soldering iron, melting the plastic justy a bit and be careful not to go all the way thru. But if you don't see any leak or wetness then I would leave it alone.

On mine the pipes were welded into the sender so good that it didn't matter about the rubber piece, but I am wondering where was your return line blocked???
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #20
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think just pressure from the tank collapsing applied to the end piece ... maybe or the steel straps are too tight.
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #21
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'll play some more before i rig it up see if i can come up with an answer for that. I got some lanscapers doing stuff outside and don't want the near the gas tank as it sits now lol
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #22
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok looked with the flashlight and put my hand in there to see what the deal is. I saw that the right side wall of the plastic piece has a slight bend inwards. Did not feel any bulging on the bottom. That could have explained the blockage. Ran my hand on the bottom and didn't feel any large objects. Also looked with the flashlight but nothing. In a little while i will drain some fuel and see if the lady can look under if there is any caving going on and i will double check the top for caving in. I really think that's prolly it. Pipes are on there, they can't exactly move freely or adjust so i am guessing the tank just deformed in 20 yrs u know...
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #23
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Btw was thinking if i stack couple of pump gaskets on top of the one now it will pull the dang thing up a bit lol
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok looked with the flashlight and put my hand in there to see what the deal is. I saw that the right side wall of the plastic piece has a slight bend inwards. Did not feel any bulging on the bottom. That could have explained the blockage. Ran my hand on the bottom and didn't feel any large objects. Also looked with the flashlight but nothing. In a little while i will drain some fuel and see if the lady can look under if there is any caving going on and i will double check the top for caving in. I really think that's prolly it. Pipes are on there, they can't exactly move freely or adjust so i am guessing the tank just deformed in 20 yrs u know...
Pretty much mine was the same. I ciouldn't even slide the end of a ruler nder the end of the pipe on mine. So I took off the rubber piece, removed the plastic piece completelty, and shortened up the pipe a bit. Its a good time to do the 20-gallon mod when you have the tank out, too

I used only 1 gasket and let the borrom of the fuel pump sock pop the tank back into shape when I tightened down the sender screws.

I *hope* you drained the tank before dropping it, its a pain in the BALLS to put a full tank back in.... ask me how I know...
Unread 04-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #25
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Haha i can imagine a full tank is a pain lol I figureed it would work for me on the way out tho hehee but now its almost dry for going back in.

So yes tank caved in on the bottom looks like under an inch but close lol wow some really nasty ***** under the tank lol

I am debating on drilling vs cutting. I would like to cut it with my pipe cutter but i wonder if the caving in will continue. That plastic baggie on the bottom might hold it just doesn't look too sturdy... On the other hand if caving in continues that damn pipe will prolly go through....

Choices choices lol
Unread 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #26
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Haha i can imagine a full tank is a pain lol I figureed it would work for me on the way out tho hehee but now its almost dry for going back in.

So yes tank caved in on the bottom looks like under an inch but close lol wow some really nasty ***** under the tank lol

I am debating on drilling vs cutting. I would like to cut it with my pipe cutter but i wonder if the caving in will continue. That plastic baggie on the bottom might hold it just doesn't look too sturdy... On the other hand if caving in continues that damn pipe will prolly go through....

Choices choices lol
It'll prolly be OK. Mine has been OK for almost 2 years now. The filter on the bottom of the pump is amazingly sturdy.
Unread 04-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #27
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Seeing some metal shavings on the bottom glitter like nothing major i would presume from the filler neck did not see any issues with the pump and i looked pretty thoroughly..
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #28
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You could use the pump and drain the tank down to a can or another car. You should take the time to clean it out. Also, look at doing the access mod to get at the pump. You will be glad you did. You didn't do anything to the tank before it started acting up did you? Did you check the fuel line through the cross member?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #29
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Choices choices lol
Ya you could cut it too.
It is for the return it does not have to be below the fuel line.
Drilling would be the easiest.
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #30
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
You could use the pump and drain the tank down to a can or another car. You should take the time to clean it out. Also, look at doing the access mod to get at the pump. You will be glad you did. You didn't do anything to the tank before it started acting up did you? Did you check the fuel line through the cross member?
No nothing with the tank before the idle problem. Yes checked the line everything looking good.

I cut the tube, short of about 1/2 in than the pump and the plastic strainer ...I did put everything back together, idle still acting up.

On the bright side fuel pressure down to 32 or so going up 2-3 psi when revving up a little.

Fing tired... I am super tired ...Will continue the quest tomorrow..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.