High Flow Cat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > High Flow Cat

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-18-2001, 07:56 AM   #1
JeeperJay

High Flow Cat

I've got a 92 YJ 2.5 and its time for a new cat. I'm looking for a high flow cat and I was wondering who makes them for this application and where I can find one. Thanks.

Unread 09-18-2001, 06:26 PM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you haven't upgraded the rest of your exhaust system, a high flow cat is just gonna be a waste of money. Hell, it's pretty much a waste of money in any case.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2001, 06:57 PM   #3
JeeperJay

I kinda thought I might get an answer like that. I did find some today and they sure aren't cheap. I wish I could just rip the darn thing off but from what I hear its not a good idea with the 4-banger. I think I'll just get a stock replacement. Thanks.
Unread 09-19-2001, 09:23 PM   #4
91 sahara

summit racing catco hi-flo cat 2 1/4 $59.99
Unread 09-20-2001, 09:07 AM   #5
blackjeep

you could always do it this way . Take a piece of pipe not sure what size and just smaah it right though the catand bolt it back up. you will have better exhaust flow and it will still pass inspection
Unread 09-20-2001, 09:58 PM   #6
I-4

jeeper jay,i have a hi-flo cat with a flo-master.yes on a 4 popper.it is a bit loud,but the muffler helps to change the tone so it doesn't sound as bad as a pimped out rice rocket.as for the other advice given,i think he gets off on pissing in eveybodies cheerios.just my passing thought.
Unread 09-20-2001, 10:33 PM   #7
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry I-4, I just sorta figured he wanted to know the truth.
Unread 09-20-2001, 10:45 PM   #8
I-4

the whole cat thing won't work without a good muffler.you will have to be careful that you don't lose too much backpressure or it will run like crap.the cat by itself won't do a thing for you.there are several mods that should go hand in hand with this.when these are all put together you get a little something more out of your four popper.remember, it's just a 4 popper,you can only get so much from it.i think this is what "others" where trying to say in their normal pissy fashion.
Unread 09-20-2001, 11:01 PM   #9
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Actually, no that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying 4 banger, 6 whatever, a hi-flow cat ain't gonna make much difference. Although, if sahara has found them for $59, I'd say jump on them. That's a good price for any cat.

Attempting to insult me doesn't make a cat work better by the way.
Unread 09-20-2001, 11:13 PM   #10
I-4

well here we go,
the engine should ideally be able to breathe better(modified intake)to take advantage of the hi flo cat.there are sveral ways to do that.a modified intake,tb spacer,filter,location of the intake,even a different tb,etc...then on the back side you can do an exhaust manifold as osburn suggested.these things put together with a hi-flo cat and good muffler will give you some more power.one simple trick that will give you the most hp gain is a set of electric fans.i know this gets a bit expensive to do all at once.just do it in pieces as you can,that is the pleasure of building a jeep!

that cat works even better with knowledge!
Unread 09-21-2001, 09:04 AM   #11
JeeperJay

So lets say I don't have any intake or exhaust mods yet. Would a high flow cat actually hurt my performance?
Unread 09-21-2001, 11:02 AM   #12
Pantera

Considering the age of your rig, my guess is your cat is gonna be pretty clogged right now... Not enough to keep you from running, but prolly stealing power nonetheless... Even putting a stock cat on it will prolly increase your power, but IMHO don't replace, UPGRADE!!! I don't think anyone can argue with that...
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2001, 01:35 PM   #13
I-4

certainly wouldn't hurt any thing.in my case it was cheaper to go to the flomastr and hi flo cat.everywhere wanted $400 to put it stock.one guy here in irving wanted $250 to put a hi-flo cat and flo master.so the choice was obvious.
Unread 09-24-2001, 03:02 PM   #14
Chris C

Adding a high flow cat could never hurt your performance. However, punching out the existing cat could reduce the back flow too much. If you replace your cat with a higher flow model now, you are most likely to notice the difference once you unrestrict your intake and the rest of your exaust. When I used to drag turbo cars, we explained it like this:
"Take a Burger king straw, and try to take ten deep breaths through it. Now do the same thing without the straw like you normally would. It is the same before and after for your car/truck/Jeep."

-My2Cents

Chris C.
30x9.5x15's on American Racing Nitro 15x8's
Custom Lock Box
Homemade Exaust
More stuff soon.
"I like it dirty"
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.