High engine idle....4000 rpm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > High engine idle....4000 rpm

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
jathtal

High engine idle....4000 rpm

I changed the power steering pump the other day and touched nothing else under the hood. After the swap I turned the engine over and the engine is idling between 3500 and 4000 RPM. I have checked vacuum hoses, IAP, and throttle cable but all seem to check out okay. I am not that experienced when it comes to jeeps so I could be over looking something or completely oblivious to something. Any help? My jeep is a 1995 jeep wrangler 2.5 se model btw.

jathtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Jambonez

Check for a intake gasket leak.
Jambonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Jeepsr4me

Did you plug the power steering pressure valve back up? Its mounted to the hard line on the power steering
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
jathtal

I did unplug the back up. Everything that I took off the old one is in place on this one.
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Fill in your profile. Your problem is probably your tps. Remove it and clean it. See if that helps. Most likely replace.

Has nothing to do with the pump. Just bad timing for it to happen.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I know this may not make sense but check the brake booster vacuum line and check where the vac lines hook up to the throttle body. They like to crack right there at the ports.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check your throttle body throttle linkage cable for the throttle. It is real easy to bump this and cause it to bend and then bind right were the cable exits the outer shell above the valve cover leading to the throttle body. Beyond that, check for vacuum leaks. Spray throttle body cleaner while running around suspected areas and listen for a change in rpm.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
jathtal

Okay so I've went through and cleaned the IAC and the throttle body. I was convinced that would be it because it was nasty dirty, but no luck. Still idling at 3500-4000 RPM. I keep checking vacuum hoses but I'm not getting any where. May e I'm looking for the wrong thing. Any pointers on where I should be checking.
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would start at the throttle body there are 4 or 5 that plug in there. If you bumped any of them they may have cracked. It could also be the intake manifold gasket. The intake may have gotten knocked around a little while doing the ps pump

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
jathtal

I've checked and rechecked all hoses, not to say I haven't missed it. I ordered another IAC just to make sure that isn't it.
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Spray some tb cleaner on the intake manifold where it bolts to the head. That will make the engine bog down a bit if you have vac leak there. Also do the same to the air sensor and in that general area. Go under the jeep with a flashlight and look for cracks on the underside of the intake . Spray some there too (might help cause it's a bit hard to spot small stuff from that angle). I've also heard of vac leaks at the injectors so i'd spray just a bit there too.

If all checks out, assuming it's not the lines or elbows and such, take the tb out look at the butterfly and see if it is closed properly when closed. If the gap is too big the iac will close as much as it can and you will continue sucking air from there. I had an issue where mine was too open and had to close it up a bit. Just make sure it's not rubbing the walls of the tb at any position.

You can test out the tps with a simple volt meter for proper operation also.

Hope this helps some.
atldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
jathtal

Ill check it this weekend as soon as I get a chance. If ends up being a gasket is that too difficult to replace myself? Do I need any special tools or a lot of patience lol thanks again. Ill check back to report the issue.
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yea hopefully it's not just to save urself some work but no worries dude . it's not that bad i think the only time i did it took about 4-5 hours but i took my time and drank beers ..it was hot as heell that day lol

No special tools just wrenches, ratchets, sockets extension or two and elbow grease take ur time and label things and keep them organized since u've never done it. If you gonna do all that might as well change out the manifold bolts imho i saw a comment recently that the gasket has to face a certain way. Search around u'll find it..
atldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
jathtal

Okay so after much debate, troubleshooting, blood, tears, and sweat....... Gasket is rotted. I tightened down everything and sealed some things up so soon enough ill tear everything apart. But I wanted to check in and let everyone know my diagnosis. Thanks for all the help.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.