Hidden Winch on YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hidden Winch on YJ

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
Arne123
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hidden Winch on YJ

Dear all,

I'd like to install a small winch on my YJ, but I want it hidden behind the front Bumper, with the roller fairlead on/below the bumper.

I want to install the winch behind the cross tube/bar whatever,
but for that I have to modify the fixture for the grille.
More precise I have to remove the existing one and construct somehow an alternative one.

My problem is that I don't know exactly which force the original fixture is taking:

My Idea is something like this:

1: angle steel
2: rubber mounting
3: grille
4: winch

but this will not work if there is a high force in Z direction from the grille and bonnet.

Any comments ?

-- Arne

Arne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I cut out the crossmember completely and used angle directly under the grill. Im also using a JK steering box so it isnt in the way. This was the key to really making that work.
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

That round tube is the only structure in the front connecting the frame sides. Removing it is a really bad idea. If you want a hidden winch, add a receiver hitch bumper to whats there in front and keep the winch in the back, secure however you wish.
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
RockWoRM

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne123 View Post
Dear all,

I'd like to install a small winch on my YJ,
Any comments ?

-- Arne
Yes, why install a which at all if it's gonna be small? The purpose of a good winch is to pull you out of a really bad stuck. Just my .o2. Get something that will do the job.

as a side note; not sure why you want to hide it. Winch on Jeep = Cool!

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with the above. That's structural, I would never remove that and use angle in place of it, then pull on that angle. Seems like it might bend a bit and pull the frame in slightly.
Now what size winch are you wanting to use? This could work, but you will need to reinforce that frame up front. What about a piece of 5" channel. Cut out that round crossmember and put a piece of channel flush with the bottom of the frame. Now mount to that channel and reinstall the front bumper with the fairlead on it. Or use what ever size channel you would need, the smallest possible. Depending on your winch. And a decent 3000 pound warn would work for your jeep, I had a china made pos 2000 pound and it worked just fine, pulled a Chevy 2500 out of a slew with it, he got stuck on a log. But this could work if you take the time and do it right. Be safe!

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

If those comments were directed at me I should have specified that in lieu of the crossmember another structure is used in its place. The angle under the grill is only for the grill and was just suggested as a way to mount it to the frame. Basically the winch trough itself is taking the place of the tubular crossmember.
Unread 06-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Arne123
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for your comments so far,

well, I also agree with the point of jeep > cool, + winch much cooler, but I just like it a little more discrete- just a personal preference.
My Idea for the bumper is like this:

Maybe I expressed myself a little bit unclear:
I will never remove the crossmember. I think I would be very difficult here to get permission to drive on publics roads again if I make such essential changes to the frame.

I will just remove the purple marked bracket (first post) and make an other one. The complete picture with winch and winch fixture is like this:

The main drag force should be taken from the crossmember, the red fixture is basically just to carry the winch, the green angle should hold the grill and the winch.

At the moment I am looking also for some cheap china winch, but in any case I will try to keep the dimensions in that way that I can upgrade to some warn etc.

--
regards
Arne
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

You will need to make essential changes to the frame. There isnt enough room between the crossmember and grill and the steering gear box will still be in the way.
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
Joe100
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hi! Harbor Freight has a 12,000 lbs winch on sale now @$ 299.00 was thinking of getting one myself. Joe100
Joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

lots of guys remove that round crossmember just make sure you replace it with something equally as strong as fratis said. I have been planning to do the same thing and cut out the crossmember use a jk steering box and weld a piece of 2x4 steel flush with the frame rails and make a cradle for the winch to sit low inbetween the rails then have my fairlead come out below the frame. the grill can be supported by some angle like fratis did. just make sure you know how to weld and can structurally weld since you may rely on that weld to save your life one day.

**edit** found this in fab shop,its a JK but could easily be duplicated for a YJ
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/c...umper-1542058/
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
I agree with the above. That's structural, I would never remove that and use angle in place of it, then pull on that angle. Seems like it might bend a bit and pull the frame in slightly.
Now what size winch are you wanting to use? This could work, but you will need to reinforce that frame up front. What about a piece of 5" channel. Cut out that round crossmember and put a piece of channel flush with the bottom of the frame. Now mount to that channel and reinstall the front bumper with the fairlead on it. Or use what ever size channel you would need, the smallest possible. Depending on your winch. And a decent 3000 pound warn would work for your jeep, I had a china made pos 2000 pound and it worked just fine, pulled a Chevy 2500 out of a slew with it, he got stuck on a log. But this could work if you take the time and do it right. Be safe!

I dont see a 2 or 3 thousand pound winches doing very well. There is a reason 8000 pound is recomended for jeeps. I have even come close to stalling my 10,000 pound on a single line pull. Granted there were 3 wraps on the drum but at that point I still had 7000 pounds of power. I did see someone with a 3,000 pound once. It was good for a laugh and thats about it. Why would one think a winch sized for an ATV would work on a jeep that weighs more than it is rated for.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283

I dont see a 2 or 3 thousand pound winches doing very well. There is a reason 8000 pound is recomended for jeeps. I have even come close to stalling my 10,000 pound on a single line pull. Granted there were 3 wraps on the drum but at that point I still had 7000 pounds of power. I did see someone with a 3,000 pound once. It was good for a laugh and thats about it. Why would one think a winch sized for an ATV would work on a jeep that weighs more than it is rated for.
Easy, one would think it would work as one has used one. That's why. I used a 2000 pounder to pull my brothers truck (93 Chevy 2500) over a log up a hill. Didn't stall it, and yup, got some laughs, as no one believed it would do it. I have an M8000 now and never would even think of going back, but it worked. And if I was planning on a hidden winch, I wouldn't have a problem using one. I don't do hard trail rides, I do light mudding out at the river and in the 40acres of bog we have. That's all, and it was fine. Only cost me 50 bucks at princess auto, saved the truck from rotting in the bogs.

[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
Arne123
1995 YJ Wrangler 

After all your comments I am now reconsidering my approach,
I thought indeed about some warn vantage size winch which will fit behind the crossmember, available up to 4500lbs.
Between Steeringbox and right frame is about 540mm, from crossmember and grill ~ 105mm, or below the grill ~ 150mm.

With very good luck a Tabor 8K size winch will fit there, but then I am squeezing out every mm, and I maybe have to cut out some things from the grill.
Maybe after the installation of an Bodylift

--
regards
Arne
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
stevehoj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

As posted above. Remove it / the thin wall tube......add more structure via a gusseted and more substantial "under frame" tie in. Place winch on top of that "shelf" and run through bumper.

Many prior posts on this. Search my name and others for ideas.
08 Tundra CrewMax TRD 5.7, 07 Jeep GC-SRT8, 01 Lightning (sold), 96 Impala SS (sold), 93 RX-7 Twin Turbo (sold), 90 Wrangler 413 cid (AMC 401 +0.060), 71 Formula 400 (sold), 72 Formula 350 (sold), 71 Firebird 350 (sold), 69 Firebird 462 cid (455 +0.030)
stevehoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.tri-state4x4.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3208

This will give you an idea of what is being suggested visually. I have seen some pretty gnarly stuff on Pirate.
JohndKc is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.