hidden engine disable switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hidden engine disable switch

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 02-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
Fin_Reaper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

hidden engine disable switch

On my 96 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 manual (obd-II), what circuit do you guys recommend installing a hidden engine disable switch? ASD seems like it's too obvious, but then again maybe not.

Unread 02-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well, thats really not yj tech.................

but, i guess if i insisted on doing so, i would probably go for an ignition circuit. cut the spark. a little less obvious than asd or fuel pump. could put it right in line with the coil i guess. thats up there on the right front of the motor, easy to get to, yet not real noticable.

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
Fin_Reaper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout189 View Post
well, thats really not yj tech.................

but, i guess if i insisted on doing so, i would probably go for an ignition circuit. cut the spark. a little less obvious than asd or fuel pump. could put it right in line with the coil i guess. thats up there on the right front of the motor, easy to get to, yet not real noticable.
Thanks - the 5.2 will be going into my YJ, if that helps, but hardly any of the original YJ harness will be used.

A coil wire seems rather simple - the harness is wide open right now, so it would be easy splice into.
Unread 02-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

On my old XJ I put in a fuel pump kill switch on the main harness. It lets the jeep fire up for a second then die, and doesn't flood your engine with fuel like removing spark would. It worked perfectly.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
IPOOD
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can also get a lockable battery lock out goes right in line on your battery cable requires a barrel key like on a soda machine to switch it.
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"][B][I]RED JEEP CLUB #619[/I][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=jsawduste;10903432]

I do not claim to know everything. Have been beat up, been proven wrong and hard folks piss in my Cheerio`s.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DimGray"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="DimGray"][B][U][url]www.nightcrew.org[/url][/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
IPOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Easiest is to take a critical sensor to ground.The easiest is the crank sensor. On the signal line of the sensor you chose, somewhere in the harness tap in a wire. Run it to a switch and the other side to ground. Your not switching power so there is no fuse to blow. If you are really into hiding your job grab a normally open magnetic switch. You can use a common refrigerator magnetic to keep it active when you are driving it. Remove the magnetic from what ever spot youve hidded the switch and nobody will ever be able to figure it out.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When I bought the YJ it had one that simply disconnected the 12v going to the starter relay, worked fine. I think the easiest would be to cut power to the fuel pump that way even if it starts initially it'll die and not start again.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
swatgig17
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My wife had a Lumina with a 'secret switch'. You had to activate the right turn signal or it wouldn't start.

Mine is more complicated:

Press the gas pedal to the floor, and pull the choke half way out. Release the gas pedal, and press it two more times.

Unless this procedure is followed exactly, the Jeep won't start.
swatgig17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
Colockum
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatgig17 View Post
My wife had a Lumina with a 'secret switch'. You had to activate the right turn signal or it wouldn't start.

Mine is more complicated:

Press the gas pedal to the floor, and pull the choke half way out. Release the gas pedal, and press it two more times.

Unless this procedure is followed exactly, the Jeep won't start.
How did you do that?
Unread 02-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colockum View Post
How did you do that?
It's a carbed 4.2
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Fin_Reaper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
It's a carbed 4.2
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #12
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Why not just switch the the ECM power somewhere no one would look. Then nothing will work starter or fuel pump. Then if they try to bypass the ignition switch it still will not work punch the key same thing. Hide the switch in plain sight to look like it should be there or a serial of them to use a combo of which one needs to on or off.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #13
dennis294
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
It's a carbed 4.2
3 pumps for mine. And you can't touch the brakes, so if you're on a hill you better be quick about it.
dennis294 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #14
drbandkgb
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My kill switch runs to the starter..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.