Hiccups and a sputter - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-21-2014, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
THudJeepman
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hiccups and a sputter

My YJ has been hiccuping recently. It only hiccups when I'm in 5th gear on the interstate. Anytime I run about 2,000 RPM+ can be sure to expect a few hiccups along the way. When it jolts my shift light comes on and I lose about 100-250 RPM on the tach and then it returns to normal until the next one. On the way home from work she was hiccuping real bad and I could hear a little backfire/sputter, but luckily i got to my exit. I don't have any problems in any other gear but 5th, so I'm not even sure where to begin. Can anyone help me?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-24-2014, 09:54 PM
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Could very well be a symptom of a bad cam sensor. (the one in the distributor) It will cost you about $45 and all you need to do is to pull the cap and rotor. The sensor just lifts out and has a harness plug. It can, and will leave you stranded with a code 54 one of these days. Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
post #3 of 15 Old 12-27-2014, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
THudJeepman
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the reply. I'm searching all over for the part. Can't find anything for my 93 on it.

post #4 of 15 Old 12-27-2014, 04:40 PM
LoneYJranger
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I believe firefyter is taking about this
http://www.quadratec.com/products/55102+0900.htm

"Who put this thing together, Me"
"Who do I trust, Me"
With the help of jeepforum.com of course
post #5 of 15 Old 12-28-2014, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
THudJeepman
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the reply. I got the part and installed it along with a tune up. Its still hiccuping (sudden jerking) and the shift light comes on. It seems to do it more when I let off the gas or going up an incline on the highway. I'm not sure if I have a bad throttle position sensor or if there is something wrong the transmission. I dont have problems with it starting or stalling, so I'm not sure if the TPS is bad or not.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-28-2014, 11:37 AM
TCazes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

mine did the same identical thing. but it was my fuel pump going out. it would lean out and shed starve for fuel temporarily then kick back in suddenly hence the jerk or stutter.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-28-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
THudJeepman
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCazes View Post
mine did the same identical thing. but it was my fuel pump going out. it would lean out and shed starve for fuel temporarily then kick back in suddenly hence the jerk or stutter.
Did yours have a check engine light? The only light I get is my shift light.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-28-2014, 05:28 PM
TCazes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

nope. sure didn't. and would only happen when cruising on the highway. the poor pump just couldn't keep up anymore but hey it was the original with 190k miles on it and for the record i did test my cel and the light was fine it just didn't throw a code
post #9 of 15 Old 12-28-2014, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
THudJeepman
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
nope. sure didn't. and would only happen when cruising on the highway. the poor pump just couldn't keep up anymore but hey it was the original with 190k miles on it and for the record i did test my cel and the light was fine it just didn't throw a code
Good to know. I'm at 170k so it's probably time for a swap. Thanks for the reply. Wish me luck in going to work in the morning before I can get a new one.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-28-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
THudJeepman
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
oh and also, was it just the fuel pump, or did you have to buy a new sending unit and all also? I'm just trying to figure out how much its all going to cost me. Thanks again for the info.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-03-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
THudJeepman
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so I installed a new fuel pump and strainer. I drove around on the interstate and after 30 mins it started doing it again. As soon as I get to 2,000 RPM it jolts and does it anywhere from every 5-10 seconds to every 1-3 minutes. I still get the same up-shift light as before. The only code I get for the Ole' girl is a code 35 for the cooling fan, and I don't see how that could have anything to do with what is going on. I am so confused about what is going on I'm at a loss. If anyone has any idea of the problem, any and all info and help would be appreciated.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-03-2015, 05:58 PM
TCazes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i replaced the unit as a whole. no sense in replacing one part and leaving the actual "brains" old and high mileage. just saying......
post #13 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
THudJeepman
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I've put about 300 miles on it since the tune up and fuel pump change. I guess it just doesn't like to go fast anymore. I can't figure it out and none of my mechanic buddies know either. I have noticed it tends to happen more frequently when I have a full tank of gas, but still no codes, nothing....
post #14 of 15 Old 01-24-2015, 10:21 AM
RNJOE69
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well you said you replaced the entire sending unit with pump. I know this sounds stupid but I did NOT see where you said you replaced the strainer and fuel FILTER!
post #15 of 15 Old 01-25-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
THudJeepman
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNJOE69 View Post
Well you said you replaced the entire sending unit with pump. I know this sounds stupid but I did NOT see where you said you replaced the strainer and fuel FILTER!
Yes, the strainer and fuel filter were replaced as well.

Tags
hiccup , sputtering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.