Hi volume oil pump to help with low pressure problems. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hi volume oil pump to help with low pressure problems.

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
grimjeeperyj14
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hi volume oil pump to help with low pressure problems.

Has anyone installed a hi volume oil pump in their 4.2 engine. I just rebuilt the whole engine including all new bearings,rings etc. and rebuilt the old oil pump. The oil presure still drops to about 5-20 psi when hot. Will a hi volume oil pump resolve this issue?

Unread 08-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
jeeptim
1987 YJ Wrangler 

hi volume moves more oil it does not push it at a higher pressure
Unread 08-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I rebuilt mine and I was low on money so I used the old oil pump. My pressure was about 5 at idle and 20 running down the road. Pull the pan and stuck a Hi performance pump and it fix my problem. It seems like it's 40 running down the road and 20+ at idle.

I would say try it. You got nothing to loose except the cost of the pump and time.
Unread 08-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

When you set up your bearings, how much clearance did you set on your mains and rods?
Unread 08-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
jdubsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

back when I worked on motors in the 70-early 80's it was usually the camshaft bearings that dictated the loss of oil pressure. When people "rebuilt" their motors and didn't replace the camshaft bearings you would end up with that problem. Hi volume oil pump has nothing to do with that. It is basically an internal oil leak
jdubsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I plastic gauge mine and it was within the specs. I only think old school folks do this. A lot of auto store places don't even know what plastic gauge or prussian blue for gear setup is.

Most high volume pumps also have a increase in pressure to help get the oil out to the bearings faster. If bearings have to much clearance, It may increase pressure a little to get it on up there a little higher.

As stated above, you might have a internal leak if your bearings have to much clearance. I believe the only way to find out is to try it. It would be impossible for us to tell you it will or will not work since we don't know the bearing clearances in your motor.

As a rule, most engines only need about 10 PSI of oil pressure for every 1,000 RPM of engine speed. Oil pressure will read higher than normal when a cold engine is first started because the oil is thick. Oil pressure will gradually drop as the engine warms up and the oil thins out. So normal oil pressure on a warm engine cruising down the highway is typically 30 PSI up to 45 PSI.
Unread 08-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A high volume pump for low oil pressure is likely treating the symptom more than the cause. If your pressure is low due to a poor pump, any replacement will help. If pressure is low due to bearings or similar issues, just bringing up the pressure is not addressing the problem (remember the bearings float on oil film, NOT pressure. The pressure is there to assure that the oil flow is adequate)
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
grimjeeperyj14
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When I put the new bearings in I did not get oversized bearings. I simply used the standard size. I did not replace the cam bearings though.
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimjeeperyj14 View Post
When I put the new bearings in I did not get oversized bearings. I simply used the standard size. I did not replace the cam bearings though.
Most likely problem is excess clearance on your bearings. Drop the pan and check at least 2 main and 2 rod bearings. Plastigauge costs less than 5 bucks these days and is enough to check every bearing in the engine several times. If clearance is excessive, install correct inserts to all that are out of spec.

Field maximum clearance is .003 IIRC, over that and you will show lower oil pressure.

No such animal as OVERSIZED bearing inserts, they are UNDERSIZED or STANDARD.
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimjeeperyj14 View Post
Putting in new rod and crank bearings but not Plastigaging them is not good. You have no idea what your clearances are. IF the clearances are all good that is called 'freshening up' a motor. It is not a rebuild.

Let us say that you had good clearance in the rods and main bearings (doubtful) BUT you have not replaced your worn cam bearings you are hemmoraging oil internally.

Putting in a high volume oil pump only increases the volume of oil you will hemmorage internally. The only proper fix for poor oil pressure is good bearing clearances.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
Larry93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I installed a high volume oil pump from Melling in my 4.0. Cleared up the lifter noise I had ever since. Although I seem to need to replace my distributer gear every year now, little to much stress for the poor thing.

My pressure is way to hi now, 40 at idle and 60+ the rest. ( although it most likely is less than the gauge reading)

I also recall having to peen my oil pan on the side to clear the pumps larger body.
Larry93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry93 View Post
I installed a high volume oil pump from Melling in my 4.0. Cleared up the lifter noise I had ever since. Although I seem to need to replace my distributer gear every year now, little to much stress for the poor thing.

My pressure is way to hi now, 40 at idle and 60+ the rest. ( although it most likely is less than the gauge reading)

I also recall having to peen my oil pan on the side to clear the pumps larger body.
Your oil pressure is higher because your clearances are OK. Once the clearances get large oil pressure goes down because the space allows too much oil to bypass the original path it was designed to travel.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.