Hi steering and TRE's , a few ??? ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hi steering and TRE's , a few ??? !

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-23-2009, 03:23 AM   #1
ChrisYJ - Italy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hi steering and TRE's , a few ??? !

Hey to all,
i am about to do a hi steering conversion using a JB4x4 raised steering bracket. Now, the thing is, i will be building my own steering linkage (i don't trust the stock linkage after seeing my friend's drag link tweaked like a bow yesterday) out of some DOM and weld in threaded inserts. I know i could just let the tierod alone since it's not really involved with the hi steering but i want to do that as well so i have all new TRE's all around,and a stronger assembly . Now, i guess the JB4x4 bracket is a good piece of equipment and well tested and trusted by the majority of the jeepin' scene,so that is not questioned, but i was thinking about the tre's , i know i will have stock taper holes all around (stock holes for the tierod and stock pitman arm+jb4x4 bracket for the draglink), is there any other tre wich is stronger but with the same taper? I don't care much about the threaded part (stock i think is 11/16"draglink and 3/4"tierod,is this right?) since i can just build the linkage with wichever thread i choose. I know Teraflex sells a histeering sys with "standard taper tre's but with 1-ton strenght", wich part number are these tre's??
I am looking at doing something like this.

I want something reliable , and strong enough. I am not wanting any heim style joint since i am very picky regarding steering slop and i have been told that they are great when new, but quickly get loose. i want something that can last for a while (jeep is also my dd!)

Any advice on the matter is greatly appreciated, it's the first time i do a steering setup and i am not really aware of all the different benefits from the various setups.
Thanks!!!
Chris

ChrisYJ - Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
ChrisYJ - Italy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nobody? Pleeeaseee
Unread 03-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
ChrisYJ - Italy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok i measured the diameter on the stock tre's and the ones on the draglink are 11/16, and the ones on the tierod are 7/8. I would rather do 7/8 all around on the new linkage. I found these http://www.omix-ada.com/productInfo.asp?itemNo=52005739
wich i think answers to my question about the taper size of the tre's on the draglink and on the tierod , since in the description it says " This spare tie rod end is designed for use with Rugged Ridge∆s heavy duty tie rods and drag links. " So i guess they're the same and only the size of the threaded part changes. Unfortunately they don't know (?!?!wtf!) the thread count on these tre's. I would just use 4 of the same size for simplicity but if i don't know the thread count i can't even order the weld in fittings for the links. How can it be that the manufacturer doesn't know the specs of his own parts??
If anybody knows the thread count on these tre's please chime in!!!!
Thanks
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ChrisYJ,

The Heim steering joint is one of the strongest items of its kind. Practically all dragsters (6,000+ horsepower and 6Gs of force) use them. NASCAR racers use them. I am not sure what you are worried about. The key is to buy the best, biggest and strongest Heim joint for your application. They are totally rebuildable, so I am not sure why they would "come loose." If I was you, I would check into it with a lot of internet searching, and not necessarily the "opinion-oriented" internet searching. Any fabricator for jeeps can tell you about the Heim joints... they also use them all the time.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It's a 2 1/2 year old thread. I kinda got excited when I saw one of Chris' threads pop up. Haven't seen that guy on here in a long time.
Unread 11-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Anticanman,

BOY did I miss that!! Thanks for "teaching me something."

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SASjeepster View Post
Anticanman,

BOY did I miss that!! Thanks for "teaching me something."

Take care,
Trust me, there is no shame in using the search function.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.