Hi Lift Question....or am I just stupid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hi Lift Question....or am I just stupid

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 05-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hi Lift Question....or am I just stupid

I have a 48" HiLift jack. Used it several times to jack up the front, works great, no issues.

Rotating the tires today for the first time with the HiLift, went to raise the back and was "WTF"?

Can't jack it up sitting inside the bumperettes - handle won't pump, hits the bumperette.

No place to put the tongue towards the outside of the bumperettes.

Tried angling the tongue in under the bumper towards the inside of the bumperette, but when it comes up off the ground, the Jeep wants to shift to the other side.

Won't go under in the middle of the bumper cause of the gas tank shield and spare tire and carrier.

What do you guys do? Kinda glad I discovered this in the driveway instead of on a beach or trail or lonely hiway.

One Jeep is Never Enough
copleydad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Seeing bumperetts these days is purdy rare. But for around the garage work, you can't beat an inexpensive HF floor jack. That aside, with the spare out of the way, you should be able to get it on the cross member... I think. Personally never had to do it... but again, I have an aftermarket swing and sq. tube nerfs, so jacking points is not a problem.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

I would never jack from the rear crossmember. WAY TOO BIG of a chance it slips off the jack or buckles.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes use a floor jack in the garage, save the hi-lift for the trail when you 100% have to use it.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Got the floor jack, that's what I used today and have been using it for years.

Wondering if there is an attachment for the HiLift. Checked Qtec etc, maybe I should check the HiLift website
but all I have seen are chain hooks for curved bumpers and a wheel hook, which wouldn't do diddley if you have to take the wheel off.

As far as the bumperettes go, I kinda like 'em and they are in good shape, and it's getting restored to original color and new decal kit, so don't really want to ditch the bumperettes because others have.AND it'd be on the trail when I would REALLY need to jack up her up by her hind quarters.

I know someone out there has figured out a way.

One Jeep is Never Enough
Unread 05-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

This is the accessory for curved bumpers.

Any thoughts on this working?

One Jeep is Never Enough

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.