Hesitation/sputtering when jeep gets warm - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Fellows45
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hesitation/sputtering when jeep gets warm

Alright guys, I'm stumped on this one..

I drive an 89 2.5 tbi Low Output

So I start the ole girl and she idles fine and even seems to run fine. after a few minutes and the rig warms up, the jeep almost refuses to accelerate. I push the gas down and it seems to hesitate/surge and then continues to suddenly stop accelerating then continue to accelerate again. Once I push past the surges and get to a high rpm and then shift, she seems to be running ok but my father drove behind me and said that she was running rich. Oh and I forgot to mention, She'll stall and die on me if I don't keep my rpm's up after shes warmed up, but that problem seems to go away once I push past the surging/ hesitation.

Any Ideas? I just did a minor rebuild on the throttle body/ fuel injector so those shouldn't be the problem.. (Knowing my luck they are...)

I have some cracking in my vacuum lines, but wouldn't that cause a constant poor idle/ poor drive-ability? I was thinking either ignition control module or crank sensor, or even a bad coil! (yeah I'm getting a little too hopeful)

But I digress, Can anyone with many moons more experience help me out!!

Thanks again guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-22-2013, 09:00 AM
jokerchief462
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
When you put the TBI back to gether and assembled the pressure regulator did you get it back in the right position. I screwed mine up and chased that problem causing it to run extremely rich. The CAT would almost glow. But only after it warmed up and came out of closed loop. There is a small hole that has to do with bypassing the excess fuel and sending out the return line. Other things must have something to do with an input to the ecu after it warms up.

89YJ 2.5L TBI, AX-5, NP231 SYE, Ford 8.8, Yukon Grizzly, Tom Woods Shaft, 33" BFG T/As, 4" lift, Warn VR10000s.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
post #3 of 5 Old 03-22-2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Fellows45
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yea I'm pretty sure I have it all in the right position. Does that return hole have to face the fuel lines? And also now that I think about it, does it matter which direction the injector alignment pin is faced? I just put it facing the right side of the engine bay, instead of the left.

Thanks

2002 Jeep WJ, 4.7, EBC Stage 4 brakes, Bilstein shocks (Still In progress)

1989 Wrangler YJ 2.5, 2 inch body lift, 33 inch tires

post #4 of 5 Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Jeepnaut
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Fellow45 you say that you did a rebuild? Does this mean that it was not driven for a while?

My YJ did this to me after I bought it - it would act like it was about to die as I was driving it. It also had a poor idle, sometimes. Battery is fine.

I took it to a good repair shop for examination and was told that there was nothing wrong with it (the mechanics drove it around and could not get it to repeat symptoms). After that, the problems did not reoccur. So I figured that debris or moisture accumulated while it sat in the PO's driveway for months.

Sorry to be of little help and I am no mechanic, but your description sounds exactly like my YJ.

For maintence and repairs, I used to hand over my ride to "professionals" who knew better than me. Then I caught a well - recommended body shop price gouging me with really bogus repairs (fraud). Then I got angry, then I decided to take responsibility for my ride, finances and safety. Then I came here.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-22-2013, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Fellows45
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The previous owner but a brand new motor in it about 40k ago, but I just did a minor throttle body rebuild.. Replaced all the gaskets and what seemed like worn parts. I have it all torqued to spec. But now that he said something about the return fuel line, it makes me think that I may have lined it up wrong (I can't find anything in the Haynes or chitons manual about the correct way to line the TBI up) or even in the factory repair manuals for that matter... Hmmm can anyone provide some help with this?!

2002 Jeep WJ, 4.7, EBC Stage 4 brakes, Bilstein shocks (Still In progress)

1989 Wrangler YJ 2.5, 2 inch body lift, 33 inch tires

Tags
crank sensor , hesitation , poor idle , sputtering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.