Here's a question for ya! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Here's a question for ya!

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 04-27-2001, 06:05 PM   #1
jeromy

Here's a question for ya!

My tranny is all screwed up.It's hard to pop into gear while your driving,and when it does,sometimes it pops in hard sometimes smooth and sometimes it grinds for a split second.And to downshift you really have to fight to get it to go into gear,especially 1st and 2nd,and in 3rd when you leave off the gas the shifter pops back like it wants to come out of gear.What gives.Don't know much about jeep trannys but I'm ready to learn.Oh one more thing .It's not half as bad if you hold the clutch in for a little longer,but it still sucks to drive like that.Thanks to all in advance
year-95
2.5 liter 5 speed

jeromy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2001, 07:33 PM   #2
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check the clutch fluid reservior, if you have ever had to add a significant ammount of fluid, then your slave cylinder is probably leaking. When they go, there won't always be fluid dripping on the ground the slave is a dealer part for 95's, the clutch master cylinder,line and slave cylinder are a single unit and come prefilled with fluid from the dealer.

If the slave cylinder is going it can cause the shifting problems that you're describing. Other than that it may be a synchro.

From my own experiences...
don't force the shifter, especially in reverse, I've had 2 trans. get stuck in reverse.
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2001, 11:09 PM   #3
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

Like Tonka said, sounds like low fluid in the slave cylinder. If it is the slave leaking, you have to drop the tranny to get to it, at least on my 6cyl 89yj I had to. Then, as long as the tranny is out, you might look at the clutch, because if you have very many miles on it, it's a lot easier doing it now rather than later.
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2001, 11:25 PM   #4
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

on the 95 you'll have an external slave cylinder. to remove it and check for leaks all that you need is a deepwell 1/2 inch socket and a ratchet(socket wrench)It's the plastic thing on the bellhousing with a plastic hose. It's held on by 2 nuts, and sometimes the bolts(stud type) will come out with the nut. soak the bolts with WD-40 or equivalent before removal(if rusty)Hope this helps.
Unread 04-28-2001, 12:26 AM   #5
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

One heck of a lot easier than mine was!
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
Unread 04-28-2001, 06:12 AM   #6
jeeptuff

I just did the clutch in my 93 YJ about 3 months back, I screwed up bad!!!!The clutch was iffy so I slapped in a Centerforce Dual frictio and thought as long as it is out I'll go ahead and be safe and do the hyd. throw-out also known as the slave cylinder. I went a step further and replace the clutch master too and put it all back together and still AFU(all F----D up). I hade to pull everything down again and did a syncro and bearing kit. Upon inspection of the tranny parts I noticed considerable wear on fifth gear and the main shaft cluster relaced them both as well. FYI it is a good idea, no a must to swap out your pilot if you replace the clutch. Hope this helps out a bit. If you have the tranny out take it to somebody to inspect or if you have the knowledge do it yourself. I hope you can learn from my mistakes. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes...
Unread 04-28-2001, 09:28 AM   #7
jeromy

Thanks everyone,I'm gonna go out now and check it out.
What does a slave cylinder actually do?
I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Later
Unread 04-28-2001, 10:26 AM   #8
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The slave cylinder works on a similar principle to brakes, there is a rod at the end of the slave cylinder(on 95's) that pushes a lever that holds the throw out bearing. The throw out bearing in turn pushes springs on the pressure plate, releasing the clutch disk.
don't press on the clutch pedal with the slave cylinder removed.
Unread 04-28-2001, 04:28 PM   #9
jeromy

Ok little low on fluid,but you can still see some in there.Removed the slave cylinder and found no leaks at all.Where do I go from here.should I try replacing the clutch, preassure plate,and throwout bearing?There is only 60,000 miles on my jeep.Can your clutch come out of line?
Unread 04-28-2001, 04:40 PM   #10
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

Did adding fluid help the situation at all, or is it still acting the same?
Also, is the slave actually working, pushing out the throwout bearing when you push in the clutch?
Unread 04-28-2001, 06:44 PM   #11
jeromy

Newbie Screwup
I didn't put the slave cylinder back on pushing the throwout bearing right and it busted apart.So it put it back together and refilled it,bled it.no leaks is this allright,or once broken always broken
Unread 04-28-2001, 11:03 PM   #12
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

They are like the brake cylinders on the rear of the jeep. as long as no seals get damaged, it should be ok. Sorry that I posted the warning so late
Unread 04-29-2001, 07:23 PM   #13
jeromy

OK back up and driving.Thank you to all who helped me out,I really appreciate it.Later
Unread 04-30-2001, 07:14 AM   #14
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

cool
Unread 04-30-2001, 09:44 PM   #15
dartboy

Been following this post. I have had the same problem in my Jeep for a long time. New what the problem was, just didn't know how to check it for leaks. thanks for the great info guys. Maybe I'll save some money on Brake fluid now...had to refill once a month.

-------------------

Jason Duffy

90 YJ
dartboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.