Herculiner How To, with questions and answers!! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Herculiner How To, with questions and answers!!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 07-14-2008, 07:21 AM   #61
greyser
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I did mine this weekend.

Some words..

first off thanks to the idiot who has stripped out one of the torx bolts so i couldn't remove the rollcage. thanks a lot. i had 2 days to do this. no time for extracting and finding a replacement bolt...though i should have checked closer prior to the job.

I hate carpet adhesive.

Wear a respirator if you do this!!!!!! Please!!!!! I slacked on it for some of the time and am still paying for it...headaches...generally feeling like crap. I wore it about 75 percent of the time...should've known better....but I would get in to it and get crankin and forget the mask. dumb.

Thanks to all who provided info on the job. It was all a big motivator and huge help!!!!

Another perk of the job : road noise is way down!!

positive : harder to hear noises under the jeep
negative : harder to hear noises under the jeep

haha.

anyway. great mod. glad it is over. but now i need to get some sealant for the cage mounts...because i don't want any rust.

on to my leaky drive shaft and oil leak!!

greyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #62
SuperGlueHero
2012 JK Wrangler 

I did mine a few weeks ago using this thread as a guide. For some reason I still had half a can left over after 2.5 aplications. Not sure why it went on so thin. I still see some spots I missed in flat places. The problem with this mod is it forces you to address any rust you find. So for me a small rust area that I didn't think a lot about became a softball sized hole in the side and floor. I taped it off so I could deal with it later. Otherwise the process wasn't too bad. Getting everything out of the tub is the hardest part.
Unread 08-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #63
joe_o
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up, you just saved me alot of headaches. Thks.
joe_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 05:30 AM   #64
AtzMaBoy
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
For some reason I still had half a can left over after 2.5 aplications
Where you stirring the product frequently during the application? Instructions state to do so, this keeps the rubberized particles suspended in the solution and allows them to make it to the project.

Dad and I did the job and it did indeed take 95% of the near gallon can.
1988 YJ, 2.5 4cyl TBI, 5 Speed, 4WD, 31's. Repaired ECU, Herculined. Wrenchin', scrapin', learnin', paintin', enjoy'n! - The "Work in Progress" …continues into '11! (althought she's been on the road since '08! Enjoy it Dad!)
AtzMaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #65
Fred007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Question: Why mask the drain holes? Could you not just put the plugs back on top of the herc? Or would the thickness of the herc cause the plugs to not fit right? Also, anyone using the rubber plugs that Quadratec sells?

I have my tub almost ready to go, minus the final wash and acetone rub and have been following this thread for direction. Thanks very much for sharing!
Fred007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 09:36 PM   #66
TJSport01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

my drain plugs fit just fine and i didnt tape them off
2001 Jeep TJ, 1in JKS Body Lift, 35x12.50x15in Goodyear Mtr's and a RE 4.5 SF with AA sye, tom woods custom cv drive shaft, tnt tube fenders w/3in flares and flush mounted led turn signals, 1in mml, cobra cb and firestik, custom rock sliders, herced, trail scars

Looking for 4.88s (R&P) for a d44/d30 PM me
TJSport01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #67
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You probably don't have to. I did it just in case they wouldn't fit.
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #68
Fred007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting this writeup and for all the extra comments. Once again, this forum has really helped make the job easier by understanding all the potential issues. Just finished mine today and so far am really happy with the results. I used about 95% for two coats. (and the Hootus was not contaminated...)
Before:

After:
Fred007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #69
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #70
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My can is taking forever to mix, the rubber is like stuck to the bottom of the can, is this normal?
UltimateCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #71
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateCC View Post
My can is taking forever to mix, the rubber is like stuck to the bottom of the can, is this normal?
Mine was all settled at the bottom in a big blob of rubber. It took a bit just to break it up and then start mixing.
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #72
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i gotta see if i can find a drill to mix it, right now im just chopping it up with a screwdriver but its taking forever and still are in blobs...
Unread 08-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #73
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

well i now hate herculiner, i have the **** all over my hands, here in st kitts there is no xyol so while i was mixing it it started to harden and it was too thick to spread on the truck and now i have a full gallon that is junk...im so frustrated and i have a truck thats completely in pieces that i can't drive...i think im gonna try the duplicolor stuff instead as i can't go through this mixing issue again...
Unread 08-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #74
Davisio

I just used a paint stirrer (wooden style). Had no probs. No need to thin it. Little agitation brought the particles back to the top. Then dabbed it on.
Davisio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #75
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

mine was a hard hard hard blob of rubber on the bottom...i think i got a ****ty can...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.