first off thanks to the idiot who has stripped out one of the torx bolts so i couldn't remove the rollcage. thanks a lot. i had 2 days to do this. no time for extracting and finding a replacement bolt...though i should have checked closer prior to the job.
I hate carpet adhesive.
Wear a respirator if you do this!!!!!! Please!!!!! I slacked on it for some of the time and am still paying for it...headaches...generally feeling like crap. I wore it about 75 percent of the time...should've known better....but I would get in to it and get crankin and forget the mask. dumb.
Thanks to all who provided info on the job. It was all a big motivator and huge help!!!!
Another perk of the job : road noise is way down!!
positive : harder to hear noises under the jeep
negative : harder to hear noises under the jeep
anyway. great mod. glad it is over. but now i need to get some sealant for the cage mounts...because i don't want any rust.
I did mine a few weeks ago using this thread as a guide. For some reason I still had half a can left over after 2.5 aplications. Not sure why it went on so thin. I still see some spots I missed in flat places. The problem with this mod is it forces you to address any rust you find. So for me a small rust area that I didn't think a lot about became a softball sized hole in the side and floor. I taped it off so I could deal with it later. Otherwise the process wasn't too bad. Getting everything out of the tub is the hardest part.
For some reason I still had half a can left over after 2.5 aplications
Where you stirring the product frequently during the application? Instructions state to do so, this keeps the rubberized particles suspended in the solution and allows them to make it to the project.
Dad and I did the job and it did indeed take 95% of the near gallon can.
1988 YJ, 2.5 4cyl TBI, 5 Speed, 4WD, 31's. Repaired ECU, Herculined. Wrenchin', scrapin', learnin', paintin', enjoy'n! - The "Work in Progress" …continues into '11! (althought she's been on the road since '08! Enjoy it Dad!)
Question: Why mask the drain holes? Could you not just put the plugs back on top of the herc? Or would the thickness of the herc cause the plugs to not fit right? Also, anyone using the rubber plugs that Quadratec sells?
I have my tub almost ready to go, minus the final wash and acetone rub and have been following this thread for direction. Thanks very much for sharing!
Thanks for posting this writeup and for all the extra comments. Once again, this forum has really helped make the job easier by understanding all the potential issues. Just finished mine today and so far am really happy with the results. I used about 95% for two coats. (and the Hootus was not contaminated...)
well i now hate herculiner, i have the **** all over my hands, here in st kitts there is no xyol so while i was mixing it it started to harden and it was too thick to spread on the truck and now i have a full gallon that is junk...im so frustrated and i have a truck thats completely in pieces that i can't drive...i think im gonna try the duplicolor stuff instead as i can't go through this mixing issue again...