Herculiner How To, with questions and answers!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Herculiner How To, with questions and answers!!

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-15-2008, 07:11 AM   #31
Davisio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
5, The 2 seat bolts have welded nuts in boxed in channel. There should be a 1"drain hole just behind the seat, If you pop that out you'll be in that channel. You could spray PB in that way or use a small torch and heat the bolt heads then douse it with PB while still warm. Use Caution and have a fire extigusher handy just in case! Use anti seize on the bolts when you reinstall.
Here's what I'm dealing with:

2 bolts are "standard" (pics a little 'flash happy', but you get the idea)

Those should come out no problem. The others did (on passenger side).

And 2 bolts are like this:

Now, I can get underneath the two that are capped, but as you have indicated some bolts have welded nuts. And, since I am definitely paranoid and have no welder, I don't want to get myself in a bind that I can't get out of.

Here is a pic of the nut from underneath:

There's got to be a 'trick' and I MUST be making this more difficult than it needs to be.

We'll call all this "Research before I screw it up."

Davisio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 07:43 AM   #32
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The ones that hang down and are accessable I heated and sprayed them with PB, let them cool and then tried to turn it. The heat, cool cycle helps draw the PB into the threads. You should try to get those threads hanging down as clean as possible. (Dremel with a wire wheel).
The ones in the channel just spray with PB as best as possible, let them soak a day and then try. The welded nuts hung right in there on mine. Unless you have alot of rust they should be OK.
If you do get them to loosen but then they get tight, tighten them back up and loosen while spraying PB in the threads. It'll help flush the rust off the bolt and save the threads. Replace any rusty bolts with grade 5 or 8 bolts from Tractor Supply. $3.88 a lb by me.
Those other 2 screws are just wire clamps for the seat belt warning buzzer. I wouldn't worry about getting those out.
Unread 06-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #33
DoctorPhate
XJ Cherokee 

What about for the bottom of the truck on the chassis and bottom of the tub? anyone done a herculiner there?
DoctorPhate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2008, 05:25 AM   #34
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorPhate View Post
What about for the bottom of the truck on the chassis and bottom of the tub? anyone done a herculiner there?
Most just POR15 the frame/underside and just paint it.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #35
hevybluzer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I took the long way round with a short cut..............I only did the foot well areas but took out the seats for ease of access. I left the roll bar in. Anyway, I prepped the target surfaces with a wire brush and sanding blocks. I then plugged the various holes and masked what needed to be. I then did 2 coat sof POR 15 per instructions. Once "cured" I scuffed up the POR and applied the Herc (2 coats). 3 days total project but, with some rust starting to show in the wells the POR should stop that once and for all. Was going to do the underside but don't see the need...........
hevybluzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #36
4X4R8D
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am not sure if anyone has done this, yet. I tried reading through this thread real quick. But anyways, what I did to add to this write-up was I sprayed a can of Clear coat the day after everything had dried up. I read somewhere about trying to keep the Herculiner looking black versus the faded gray Color and that's what someone had recommended. I have had it on for about a 2 months so far and it has still kept it's color. But, the dust and dirt doesn't help .

And a few days ago I removed the step and the flares on the side of the YJ. And plugged up the holes, sanded, and prepped the rocker panel area and Herculined it. I thought about getting the rocker panels, but I figured I would save myself some money and use the little of Herculiner I had left over.

Have fun with this project
4X4R8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #37
TranquilOne
1993 YJ Wrangler 

im going to be doing this mod on my jeep, quick question tho, i was thinking about doing it on the underside of the body as well, which means i will be removing the body from the frame, do you guys think this would be a good idea? i figured it would help prevent rust and would make for a nicer look.
TranquilOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2008, 10:09 PM   #38
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

would be good, lots of work though, and probably take another gallon of herculiner

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #39
TranquilOne
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i dontmind the extra cost, i just want to avoid having to put new floor pans in the jeep in the future, and preventing any other rust. does this have to be rolled on or can it be sprayed also?
TranquilOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2008, 06:27 AM   #40
4X4R8D
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranquilOne View Post
im going to be doing this mod on my jeep, quick question tho, i was thinking about doing it on the underside of the body as well, which means i will be removing the body from the frame, do you guys think this would be a good idea? i figured it would help prevent rust and would make for a nicer look.
I would use POR-15 for the underside and a rattle can.

But, all I used was a rattle can of spray for underneath the tub.

Here are some pics of what I have herculnied.

4X4R8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #41
hansonian
2004 LJ Wrangler 

is it possible to paint over the herculiner? the reason i ask is because i've seen people say it fades and i was planning on doing this to my jeep. although since the interior of mine is gray maybe if i do it black and it fades it won't look so bad.
hansonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #42
kingkong33
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Could I just sand the tub down or do I need to scrub it with acetone?
kingkong33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #43
Davisio

You really need to do all the prep work. Wash it out. Scrub it. Ruff it. Clean it. No short cuts. 1) It will make the painting go that much better, 2) It will make the finished job look that much better.
Davisio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #44
anarchyfor2
1985 CJ7 

how to

newblue, just completed this and i followed the instructions you posted, turned out awesome, thanks for doing this, made me alot more comfortable with doing this and savedme quite a bit of cash. your ever in my area, ill buy you some beers.
anarchyfor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #45
lovs2fly
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am having my tub media blasted and then primer etched. If I was using Herculiner for the underbody would you recommend doing the prep as you outlined? Or, would you just make sure it was wiped down as the primer in itself is made for adhesion.

Great write up!
lovs2fly is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.