Herculiner How To, with questions and answers!! - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Herculiner How To, with questions and answers!!

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #211
yjluv
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Most of the exterior of my jeep is herculined and I have painted over it twice with no problems at all. I used black paint both times so I'm not sure about another color of paint. I would think that as long as you're not painting it a light color(white, yellow) you should be fine. If it were me though I would test it out in an area that cant be seen or better yet if you have any herc. you could try it on something other than your jeep. Maybe on a piece of scrap metal. Good luck.

yjluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #212
Zackb347
1990 XJ Cherokee 

what kind of paint did you use?
Zackb347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #213
RattleShake
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just finished my herculining - turned out awesome!
RattleShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #214
fishsniper
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've plan on starting prep tomorrow. I do have one question about the drain holes. Should I remove all of the drain plugs (2 from floor pans, 2 or 3 from between front and rear seats, 2 or 4 in the rear of the jeep)?
[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #464[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
93 YJ, 2" BL w/ 2.5" springs, rear track bar removed, 31x10.50s DuraTracs, 4.0, 5 speed
On a quiet night you can hear the sounds of a HUMMER rusting in the mud, and the man crying when a JEEP is pulling him out
fishsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #215
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsniper View Post
I've plan on starting prep tomorrow. I do have one question about the drain holes. Should I remove all of the drain plugs (2 from floor pans, 2 or 3 from between front and rear seats, 2 or 4 in the rear of the jeep)?
I did and I put tape underneath the hole from the bottom. The only problem when I did this was that the tape fell out and a bunch of herculiner leaked onto my rental house's driveway. I don't think that stuff will ever come up.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #216
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I plan on doing the entire interior, especially up under the pedals. However, one thing I worry about is the clutch or brake master cylinders failing and leaking back into the tub and getting under the Herculiner. Has anyone used any kind of sealant at the edge where the Herculiner ends?
hdfxrs91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #217
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfxrs91 View Post
I plan on doing the entire interior, especially up under the pedals. However, one thing I worry about is the clutch or brake master cylinders failing and leaking back into the tub and getting under the Herculiner. Has anyone used any kind of sealant at the edge where the Herculiner ends?
this won't matter. I had a leaking clutch cylinder. That brake fluid will melt the herculiner...at least it did on mine.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2011, 02:43 AM   #218
leeejone
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just finished spending the last 3 days preping, herculining, and putting back together my YJ. It was a HUGE hassle, likely just because I was doing it on my own. I'm still happy with the result though.

A couple of unhappy points though, I just BARELY had enough to finish two coats, and can still see a few small spots through the herculiner that I wish I'd been able to give a better coating. Also, good god it's shinny!
From what I hear, the shinnyness goes away after a while, so I'm not too upset about it.

All in all, happy with the product. I also managed to pick it up SUPER cheap from Advanced Auto by ordering it online and just selecting "pick up in store"... if you use the code BIG35 you get $35 knocked off of an $85+ purchase.
leeejone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #219
tbevans
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My Herc Job

Great Job! When I did mine I left the roll bars in and just meticulously painted around them....that and the owner before me had used some kind of liner in the corners and on top of the bases of the roll bar only so I couldn't get to the bolts. Here's what mine looks like from prep work to finish result. I had also bought a Tuffy center console and a new subwoofer so I installed those while I had the seat out...

tbevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #220
10scoach
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i have a 99 tj , how do i remove the center console and storage box so i can prep the floor for herculiner, i dont see any screws near the stick shift .
10scoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #221
10scoach
1999 TJ Wrangler 

im also having trouble removing passenger seat. it seems to slide forward , but doesnt lift so i can't get to the bolts in the back, any suggestions.
10scoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #222
leeejone
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My 95 yj has a lever on the bottom back of the seat near the passenger door that allows it to fold forward.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.