Herculiner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Herculiner

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 06-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
rddsnurse
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Herculiner

Has anyone seen red herculiner in person? Thinking of it but not sure what it will look like or if I should go with Monstaliner. any insight for a newbie?

Unread 06-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just did the whole exterior of my YJ with Raptor Liner and would highly recommend it. I have Herculiner on the inside of the tub and hate it.

It took a year and a half to dry to a hard surface. Until then it felt like a pencil eraser. Firm, but you could break it off easily. And it holds dirt really well. Like flat paint. I would spray it off at the car wash with the high pressure soap and it would dry to still look dirty. Plus the chunks of rubber in there look like crap.

The Raptor Liner was rock hard within an hour, and the kit comes with a spray gun. It took me longer to roll the Herc than it did to spray the whole exterior of my YJ.

This is a picture of a sample of Monstaliner that they sent me on top of some Raptor liner that was on a piece of paper that I used to mask the headlights when I sprayed the Jeep.

As you can see the Monstaliner has a larger texture like Rhino Liner and the Raptor liner is more like Line X.

You can see pics of my Jeep sprayed with the Raptor liner if you click the built thread link in my sig.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddsnurse View Post
Has anyone seen red herculiner in person? Thinking of it but not sure what it will look like or if I should go with Monstaliner. any insight for a newbie?
Personally, I would go with Monsta. It's just an awesome product and you can speak with Eric directly here in the vendor display thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/i...-liner-875162/

I even used it on my hardtop...it was hard as rocks within no time at all!

Unread 06-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
YJ43
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've used the red herculiner on the exterior, just did this a few months ago. I went with it bc it was cheaper, easier for me to get and I had used the black herculiner with good results. I'll see if I can post pics this evening. I think the texture came put good and it dried hard. It's probably not going to be as hard as monstaliner or raptor but that's due to the rubber particles. I wouldn't say it's soft though

I have heard of concerns with fading but my Jeep is only driven on weekends and when it's not being drove it's in a garage, so I can't speak to that. It seems to me that you could use an armor all or mcguiars cleaner/Protestant to help against UV fading even though it already is supposed to have UV protection. It does catch dirt/dust but nothing that doesn't come off with a power washer.

Plus you never have to worry about a scratch or waxing, lol.
1995 YJ: 4.0L I-6 and AW-4 trans; CJ front clip; SOA front, 4-link in rear; 8.8 rear w/ Detroit locker; 4.56 gears; TJ front shafts; SYE; 1" Body lift; JB4x4 hi-steer; Ford Taurus fan; B&M Hi-Tek trans cooler; 35" Procomp MT on aluminum wheels
YJ43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSport43 View Post
I've used the red herculiner on the exterior, just did this a few months ago. I went with it bc it was cheaper, easier for me to get and I had used the black herculiner with good results. I'll see if I can post pics this evening. I think the texture came put good and it dried hard. It's probably not going to be as hard as monstaliner or raptor but that's due to the rubber particles. I wouldn't say it's soft though

I have heard of concerns with fading but my Jeep is only driven on weekends and when it's not being drove it's in a garage, so I can't speak to that. It seems to me that you could use an armor all or mcguiars cleaner/Protestant to help against UV fading even though it already is supposed to have UV protection. It does catch dirt/dust but nothing that doesn't come off with a power washer.

Plus you never have to worry about a scratch or waxing, lol.
Oh yeah, I forgot about fading. Mine turned from black to dark gray in one summer of going topless.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

You can buy a product from herc to prevent the fading, that's one of the reasons why it's cheaper.
Unread 06-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #7
tomba

I did the inside of my tub yesterday. Here are a couple of pics about a 1/2 hour after the second coat.

tomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
RJMICP
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
DEFINITELY go with Monstaliner... I had Herculiner in my old YJ, and just as some people had posted, it's absolute CRAP... breaks off real easily... can't get clean... rubber pieces are exactly that... PIECES...

I put Monstaliner in my new YJ and absolutely love it... it's hard as a rock, easily cleaned, hasn't faded one bit... and it rolled on nice and thick... you won't be disappointed...
RJMICP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
rddsnurse
1988 YJ Wrangler 

ordered the montaliner, herculiner on the way back. Now any tips on taping up the drain plug holes and bolt holes?
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Billsbluejeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ordered the montaliner, herculiner on the way back. Now any tips on taping up the drain plug holes and bolt holes?
Go to the hardware store and buy some disposable foam earplugs for the bold holes... they work great. Squeeze them and push em in almost all the way so they grip the threads and don't fall out easy. They may get stuck to the Herc-liner but they are so soft you can just pull them apart with needle nose pliers. I left my drain holes open when I did mine, and didn't have much trouble getting the plugs back in... there were one or two holes that I got too much Herc in, but I just cut it off with a razor knife.

The smaller screw holes, I didn't plug at all. I didn't have any trouble finding them after the liner was in, and one or two of them were stripped when I took them out, so the extra rubber tightened up the holes.
Billsbluejeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just roll right over them. The Monsta is thick enough that it doesn't drip down in the holes or anything. Mine came out great!
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #12
Mameluke
1993 YJ Wrangler 

it seems like every mod i make, i read on here about how great it is until i do it, then all i read is about how much it sucks.
Mameluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
That's awesome! Welcome to the club! You won't be sorry.
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #14
Billsbluejeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

lol... posted in wrong area.
Billsbluejeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #15
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsbluejeep View Post
lol... posted in wrong area.
lol, no worries.

Tags
herculiner

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.