HELP!!! YJ rough idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP!!! YJ rough idle

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 02-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
HD7908
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HELP!!! YJ rough idle

I have an 89 YJ 4.2. I've replaced the carb with a weber, done a full tune up and time, and a nutter bypass along with replacing the intake and exhaust gasget's and even had a tech check my carb adjustments ant timing. the thing still runs rough at idle, really bad when its cold, and it gets worse when i out it in gear. Its an automatic trans by the way. It doesen't seam to be using oil so I'm running out of ideas here and I'm starting to wonder if the motor is shot.

Any ideas would be helpful

HD7908 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

did the problem just suddenly happen or was it slow? did you do the tune-up and the other things after your engine problem? what makes you think its not using oil
In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sloooooow-blue-yj-build-1234350"]My YJ Build[/URL][/CENTER]
04WJny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
HD7908
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I bought it and It had the old carter carb on it and ran like crap all the time. I replaced that and it still ran like crap but better. Did the bypass and that helped with everything but the idle. couldent get the weber to tune in right so I took it to a tech and he found the intake gasget was bad so I replaced that. Now as long as its not at idle it runs fine, but at idle once its warmed up it evens out till you put it in gear. Fuel filter maybe?
Unread 02-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
HD7908
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I changed the oil two weeks ago and it doesn't seem to be losing any. It has a slight rear main leak, but there is no blue smoke.
Unread 02-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
tyler1234567
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I bet you just need to adjust the two brass knobs on either side of the carb right below the air filter plate. You can just turn them with a socket.

Also there is a flathead screw that is black. Its way down on the drivers side of the throttle body/carb and it has a spring on it. Adjust that either way until idle is stronger.

For the weber
tyler1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
HD7908
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What does that do?
Unread 02-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #7
tyler1234567
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD7908
What does that do?
if you play with those adjustments you can smooth out your idle.
tyler1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.