Help! It won't idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! It won't idle

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 10-21-2002, 12:27 PM   #1
rdnkjeeper

Help! It won't idle

I got a 90 YJ with a straight six. I was able to pick it up really cheap because it wasn't running. I performed the nutter bypass on it. (the only write up I was able to find....it didn't say a word about plugging the distributor advance into the carb) It ran great for about 3 or 4 weeks.
About 2 weeks ago it stopped idling. When coming to a stop, I have to keep hitting the gas to keep it running. I also found a write up about the idle mixture thing becoming plugged. I tore into it and one was completely plugged. I cleaned them and the idle is a little better, but it still dies! The cleaning did restore my gas milage.
Any ideas? Would hooking the distributor to the carb cure this problem?
Thanks

Unread 10-21-2002, 01:17 PM   #2
WranglerYJ94

Check your head gasket. I dont know if this has anything to do w/ your problem but I had an old 86 Isuzu trooper that would run like crap and wouldnt idle and my head gasket was blown. Also try doing a tune up, etc. Does it run ok it just wont idle? if you have the carberator, try turning your idle screw if you havent. Just my .02
John
Flowmaster exhaust
Lights
Lotsa 'stuff'
WranglerYJ94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 01:40 PM   #3
rdnkjeeper

tune up

I have just done a tune up on it. There are no real signs of the head gasket gone. As long as my foot is on the gas it works great. I can cruise down the road at 80....even with 33" tires. (not as good on hills)
It just won't idle when it warms up. It idles at about 1000 rpm when the choke is on. As soon as the Jeep warms up......the rpms start bouncing between 300-700 and it will stall in a matter of seconds if I don't hit the gas. The more I am thinking about it.....I need to get the advance hose taken care of. I will do that as soon as I can and see if that makes a difference.
Unread 10-21-2002, 01:48 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Did your idle screws get bumped or work their way out of the carb .. you might just want to verify that they are positioned properly ..

What about air-flow .. is there any chance that there might be pluggage happening?

The final thing .. any chance that one of the last vacuum hoses may have slipped ... ?
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 06:25 PM   #5
rdnkjeeper

Won't idle

I did check for vacuum leaks....I wasn't able to find any. As for the idle screws.....If I could figure out how to adjust it I would. My book says that the idle cannot be adjusted. I have also looked online and the writeups I find don't say anything about which ones. I have good air flow......it happens with or without the air cleaner.
Unread 10-21-2002, 06:37 PM   #6
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

definitly not the best fix..

This isn't a permanent fix, and it wouldn't really fix the problem, but as a last resort if it bugs you alot or you want it to idle just to warm up (i imagine marquette is quite a bit colder up there then here by flint) you might be able to adjust the throttle cable slightly, but if you do this i would still try to find the real problem, but this might make it bearable while you work on it... or at least so you can warm it up for work. Also look for something in the carb i would think you would have to be able to adjust the idle somehow... hth
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 06:53 PM   #7
rdnkjeeper

idle

It warms up fine.....it is driving it around town that is getting to me. Everytime I start slowing down it dies.....I am currently looking for more info on adjusting the idle.
Thanks
Unread 10-21-2002, 07:01 PM   #8
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Re: idle

Quote:
Originally posted by rdnkjeeper
It warms up fine.....it is driving it around town that is getting to me. Everytime I start slowing down it dies.....I am currently looking for more info on adjusting the idle.
Thanks
i stand corrected... i overlooked the fact it warms up ok... i had this problem on my s-10 but it was all vacuum and idle screw adjustments, so im out of ideas now... Sorry cuz you said you did all that.
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2002, 08:49 AM   #9
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I did the idle screws on my carb .. didn't seem to have any problems .. left everything attached, found two screws .. grabbed the old phillips long-barrel screwdriver and went to work on it. I had a friend give me a hand by sitting in the Jeep and restart the beast everytime I stalled it out.

I found that the idle screws worked their way out and didn't sit still for very long .. so it was a job that was done ever couple tanks of gas.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2002, 08:52 AM   #10
bigblueyj

i guess iam having the same prob too. Iam on my 3 remfg carb from autozone and the thing is that i put on and ran great for 2 days and now when it cold it start up and run great till warms up and then it wont idel
bigblueyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2002, 03:29 PM   #11
rdnkjeeper

idle

Ok,
I re routed the vac line for the distributor. It seems to run a little better again, but it still isn't idling like it should....it is kind of low and it takes longer to stall out now.
How do you adjust the idle? Do you just play with the linkage? I don't see any idle adjustment on it or in any of my books.
Thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.