HELP! turns on but wont go? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP! turns on but wont go?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

HELP! turns on but wont go?

Okay so i went outside today to go somewhere and my jeep struggled to turn on.

its done this before but no biggie.

then after i get it on it seemed like its idling at higher than normal rpm (a tad bit more than 1k)

after letting it warm up for 5 mins or so i go to hit the gas (in neutral) and it stalls.

its turning right on no problems, but when i barley put my toe on the gas peddle it vibrates a lot and stalls.

im not much of a mechanic at all but the only thing i could think to cheek is my gas. im a little less than half a tank so i don't know what to cheek next.

help?

Unread 11-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
TheStigX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard a lot on these forums about a bad battery doing some crazy stuff to a Jeep(or maybe it's just the TJ forum)....Check the terminals and have it load tested or try another battery.
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigX View Post
I've heard a lot on these forums about a bad battery doing some crazy stuff to a Jeep(or maybe it's just the TJ forum)....Check the terminals and have it load tested or try another battery.
actually i just replaced my battery less than a month ago. but ill go cheek to see if everything connected and all that.
Unread 11-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlTravislx View Post
Okay so i went outside today to go somewhere and my .

its done this before but no biggie.

then after i get it on it seemed like its idling at higher than normal rpm (a tad bit more than 1k)

after letting it warm up for 5 mins or so i go to hit the gas (in neutral) and it stalls.

its turning right on no problems, but when i barley put my toe on the gas peddle it vibrates a lot and stalls.

im not much of a mechanic at all but the only thing i could think to cheek is my gas. im a little less than half a tank so i don't know what to cheek next.

help?
Can you explain what you mean by "jeep struggled to turn on"

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

it didnt turn on, on the first try. probably because it was cold. but my battery and connections, all of that is not a problem. on the 2nd try it started right up.
Unread 11-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i went to auto zone and the man sold me a tci or something like that, that controls my idol.

its a small plastic thing the size of a cell phone charger.

idk how this problem happened over night.

instead of opening up the gas it seems to shut it off when i press the peddle.
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

ahhh!!!

i (with the help of my mechanically smart friends) put on this new part. after letting it warm up for a good 10 mins it ran fine.

i drove a good 20 miles that day after we got it running, no problems. i made plenty of stops and shut it off and it would come right back on.

this morning... same problem, got it on after the 2nd try then rough idol. let it warm for 5 mins, then when i went to barley tap the gas it stalls.
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds as if your IAT or coolant sensor may be bad. The IAT measures the incomming air and coolant temperature that the ECM uses to adjust the fuel/air ratio. If the either is bad, it may be telling the ECM that the temp is much higher than it really is, so it mis-adjusts the F/A ratio. It is all good for the most part when the engine is warm You can check the sensor with an ohmeter; it should read around 1.5K -2K ohms at room temp.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
xl_R3DN3CK_lx
2002 TJ Wrangler 

try the crank shafter position sensor and the pick-up coil. try replacing them and see if that does the trick. mine used to start up and run fine for a while then randomly shut off when i was driving when i gave it gas but would start right back up as soon as i pulled over and put it in park( very frustrating in traffic and embarrassing). i replaced the pick-up coil and the crank shaft position sensor and it hasnt done it since. that might be your problem
Mickey Thomson Baja MTZ

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-02-wrangler-build-thread-1276724/"]My Build Thread - 02' Wrangler[/URL]

xl_R3DN3CK_lx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help needed , problem not running , stall issue

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.