Help! Trouble with RE 4.5in install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! Trouble with RE 4.5in install

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
cmartyj93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Help! Trouble with RE 4.5in install

Hi All,
Been a while since I posted about my YJ build. Looks like being a new dad is more work than I thought. Finally got a chance to install the suspension lift this weekend and the Rubicon Express 4.5 Extreme Duty lift kit arrived as promised.

Problem is that I can't seem to get the main eye bolts through the sleeves that they came with. I'm not used to having to pound a spring bolt through its sleeve when they are brand new and haven't done so yet in case I need to return stuff. Has anyone had this problem before? Is it possible that either the bolts or sleeves are the wrong size even though they came in the same box? Any help would be super appreciated, I'm pretty much stuck since no one answers the phone at RE on the weekends.

Thanks guys

cmartyj93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Can you post a picture? I installed my RE lift and had not problems that I can remember.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I believe there are 2 size bolts... one 1/2 inch and one 9/16? cant remember where they belong though..

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yes I had the same problem, seems the sleeves were not big enough, I double and triple checked to be sure I had the right bolts in the right spots. I ended up reaming the sleeve out on the drill press. Not a big deal, but you don't expect to have to do that on a pricey lift.
BTW my lift is amazing, rides so much better, I added the Bilstein shocks to go along with the lift.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
cmartyj93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks all for your responses. I have today only to install this so I'm in a bit of a rush and can't post a pick but it's the sleeve and bolt from the specifically packaged and labeled main eye bushing kit.

I think I'm going to go with the idea of reaming the sleeve a bit. Can't imagine it would hurt as long as I smooth it out a bit after and come to think of it I seem to always end up having to "make stuff work" when it comes to working on the jeep
cmartyj93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Exactly, I smoothed out the bore after reaming. It's a greasable bolt going through so as long as there are no sharp or rough edges you will be good to go.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.