Help! - tranny issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! - tranny issues

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-21-2002, 09:12 AM   #1
rick_chicago

Help! - tranny issues

Two unrelated problems:

1. New transmission put in about 40k ago, and the upshift indicator comes on in 5th gear. I assume they didn't connect something properly. Easy fix, or tough one?

2. Reverse lights stay lit when running. I have a slow leak (my guess is slave cyl.) and it has run low before, causing tough shifts. I'm guessing something got stuck during a bout with low fluid. Easy fix, or tough one?

any help is appreciated!

Unread 03-21-2002, 05:32 PM   #2
jeromy

I would just dissconnect the shift indicator light
I always found them annoying
If you don't know when to shift you shouldn't drive a stick you know what I mean

your reverse switch sounds to be stuck
remove the shiufter boot and play with it
I even had some friends hook em up to toggle switches

And the slave cylinder is a piece of cake
2 bolts and it is off
It just might need bled too
Just follow the line down to the cylinder and you will see an allen bolt (really small one)bleed all the air out of it
or if the seals are really bad and leak you might as well replace it .
They come prefilled just bolt on and go
have fun and good luck man
jeromy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2002, 07:42 PM   #3
JeeperJay

I may be wrong but your YJ might have a internal slave cylinder. If thats the case its a major hassle to replace cause its located on the input shaft of the tranny. That means pulling the tranny to get it off. If you can do it yourself its just time consuming, if not then be prepared to spend a good chunk of cash.
Unread 03-21-2002, 08:21 PM   #4
BigDaddESean

yeah I have to change the slave in my 89 YJ tomorrow or Monday. The tranny has to come down. Good luck man. If you need any tips after I'm done just e-mail me and ask me... bigdaddesean@aol.com This is my first time trying this so I can't tell u till after, and also, whatever I F--- up, I can tell you how not to lol.
Sean's Jeep Page
Unread 03-22-2002, 08:57 AM   #5
rick_chicago

It's an 89 YJ, 2.5L...

I assume the tranny is a BA 10/5. Am I right on this? Knowing it was replaced, how might I confirm? And everyone's fairly certain it's an internal slave? If so...ugh.

I also have a Haynes at home...should help things a bit.

I'm kicking myself for not paying more attention to the mechanicals when I was younger...gotten better over the years. Live and learn.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.