Help with timing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with timing

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
djordan6319
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Help with timing

I have a 95 YJ with the 2.5 when i bought the motor it had sat for 2 years so i went through and replaced some things including the timing chain and gears....what i am needing help with is when i started at TDC the timing marks are pointing at each other on the inside then you turn the gear until the cam is at the 1oclock position and the crank is at 3 oclock and there are 20 pins between the two timing marks.....it now has valve clang at highway speed anything over 40 as if it was a tooth off.....so I took everything back apart and checked it...when i put the two gears with the timing marks pointing at each other the distributor is now pointing at the #4 position as if it is 180 out but if i turn the motor one more time the distributor is at number one and my timing marks on the crank is at 12 and the mark on the cam is at 12 like the cam is 180 out at this point everything is TDC but the cam

Is this right or do i need to adjust the cam

Thanks

djordan6319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Being 180 out is ok for half the cycle. Think about the ratio of teeth between the cam and the crank and it should make sense. The only way I can think the timing ( crank vs. cam )would be off like that is if the crank gear is on backwards. Looking at the crank the key should be at 12:00 and the mark should be about 10:00.
Gausswave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You need TDC on the compression stroke. As you noted, there are 2 TDC's in the cycle. You find it by having your finger over the plug hole as you hand turn the engine over. When it comes up on the right TDC, you can feel it.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan6319 View Post
I have a 95 YJ with the 2.5 when i bought the motor it had sat for 2 years so i went through and replaced some things including the timing chain and gears....what i am needing help with is when i started at TDC the timing marks are pointing at each other on the inside then you turn the gear until the cam is at the 1oclock position and the crank is at 3 oclock and there are 20 pins between the two timing marks.....it now has valve clang at highway speed anything over 40 as if it was a tooth off.....so I took everything back apart and checked it...when i put the two gears with the timing marks pointing at each other the distributor is now pointing at the #4 position as if it is 180 out but if i turn the motor one more time the distributor is at number one and my timing marks on the crank is at 12 and the mark on the cam is at 12 like the cam is 180 out at this point everything is TDC but the cam

Is this right or do i need to adjust the cam
Thanks
Here is how it should align. The pin on the crank and the keyway on the crank gets your crank/cam aligned.

Are you sure you have your distributor in properly?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.