Help with starting - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with starting

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitLong Arm kits for all JK models from Clayton Off Road

Unread 05-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #16
cw_myers
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Unless you have an OBDI code reader you will not get it to sync with the OBDI brain. No CEL when the bulb is good says the brain has bad capacitors IF there is power to the brain. SO, once the 'new' brain gets hooked up there may be nothing else to do.

I'll add (if I haven't already done so) sometimes the brain has bad capacitors and when you turn the ignition to ON the CEL does not light up.

Did you turn the ignition to ON and simply let it stay there for several minutes? Sometime that gets it to light up. You have to sit there and watch it the whole time. If it does light up try to start it up then.

Thanks. I have tried to link the OBD1 code reader and it would not link. I am just waiting on the brain to get here if they will ship it today. Then we will see what it does.

cw_myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw_myers View Post
Thanks. I have tried to link the OBD1 code reader and it would not link. I am just waiting on the brain to get here if they will ship it today. Then we will see what it does.
OBDI was a mess since every major company had their 'own system'. If you do not have a vehicle specific OBDI reader it will not sync with the PCM. OBDII was mandated by congress to clear that mess up. There are still some 'peculiarities' in every OBDII compliant vehicle but the consumer can get a code reader that will read engine codes....but not tranny codes....

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #18
LOIIIIIIIOJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to hyjack, my 4.0 xj 1997 has similar issues.

starter will turn, but wont start
no guages work
the CEL will not light up at all - even after minutes.
all dash lights work
the MPG upper console is dead and is reading reading --

I think the CEL bulb is ok coz it will light up and guages swoop (only when holding the trip reset button and turning to ON) - so the bulb and gauges can work

could you spell out for an english dummy (me) how to check for power to the 3 & 9 pin thing plug and also where it is. i have a multimeter, but not used it in a while so need help on what settings to use etc

THanks
LOIIIIIIIOJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOIIIIIIIOJ View Post
Sorry to hyjack, my 4.0 xj 1997 has similar issues.

starter will turn, but wont start
no guages work
the CEL will not light up at all - even after minutes.
all dash lights work
the MPG upper console is dead and is reading reading --

I think the CEL bulb is ok coz it will light up and guages swoop (only when holding the trip reset button and turning to ON) - so the bulb and gauges can work

could you spell out for an english dummy (me) how to check for power to the 3 & 9 pin thing plug and also where it is. i have a multimeter, but not used it in a while so need help on what settings to use etc

THanks
Since you own a TJ (1997) and not a YJ I am not sure if the pin information is valid for you. If I get a minute I'll do some research or someone else may chime in in the meantime. What you would do is remove the plug to the brain and with a multimeter check for voltage going through the plug which feeds power to and receives signals for the brian to process information and manage timing air, and fuel. You can also back probe the plug but with all the wiring it gets toughter to do.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #20
LOIIIIIIIOJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks - ive started one in the XJ forum

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/j...997-a-1374719/
LOIIIIIIIOJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

He never checked power at 3 andf 9 like you suggested. If the O2 sensor wires were just cut and shorted you will take out a fuse for the battery feed side if i remember right. Check power on pins 3 and 9 of the ecu.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #22
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
He never checked power at 3 andf 9 like you suggested. If the O2 sensor wires were just cut and shorted you will take out a fuse for the battery feed side if i remember right. Check power on pins 3 and 9 of the ecu.
Hi Que! HI posted the plug diagrams for a '97 TJ. The OP has a '97 XJ....must be sundowners syndrome .

If I have the diagrams for his '97 XJ I'll post them. My question to you is even if it is an '97 XJ does is #3 & #9 still the pins he should be testing?

By the way I'm talking about the user who did the hijack who has a '97 XJ not THE original poster. If he does not test those pins for power he will know if he should have if he does in fact install another correct for his Yj PCM and it does the same thing... That kind of 'mechanin' usually gets expensive real fast!

Unread 05-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #23
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Morning! I was posting back to your response to CW. You can give good advice but you can make people take it! It frustrates the heck out of me sometimes but.......

The XJ has the JTEC engine controller, OBD II, and it is a whole different critter but it still needs the battery and ignition power. It still has a switched ignition and a battery feed and should be the dame as the TJ so your schematic should be good.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #24
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Morning! I was posting back to your response to CW. You can give good advice but you can make people take it! It frustrates the heck out of me sometimes but.......

The XJ has the JTEC engine controller, OBD II, and it is a whole different critter but it still needs the battery and ignition power. It still has a switched ignition and a battery feed and should be the dame as the TJ so your schematic should be good.
That information was for the 'hijack' poster. I deleted it. He is getting help over in the XJ section.

Unread 06-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #25
cw_myers
1992 YJ Wrangler 

OK I got the computer in today but had to work till 11pm. I came home changed then went and put it on the jeep. It fired right up and sounds great. Now to change the fluids and get the inside done (dash missing)!!!
Unread 06-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #26
cw_myers
1992 YJ Wrangler 

OK I got the computer in today but had to work till 11pm. I came home changed then went and put it on the jeep. It fired right up and sounds great. Now to change the fluids and get the inside done (dash missing)!!! I want to say THANK EVERYONE for their help with troubleshooting it.
Unread 06-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #27
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Congrats, cw_meyers!

I'd suggest that now that you've got it running again, run the key switch for any error messages.... 'cause you can.

J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #28
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Good News! Now, IF you do not have to return your old PCM why don't you try this;

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...rs-ecu-492597/

IF you attempt to repair your PCM once you do you can swap it back into your YJ and test it out. If it works you have a spare or you can sell it!

Unread 06-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #29
cw_myers
1992 YJ Wrangler 

GUess my last post did not go through. I got the computer in and hooked it up and the jeep started right up!!!! Now to work on the interior and try to get it road ready...
Unread 06-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #30
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw_myers View Post
GUess my last post did not go through. I got the computer in and hooked it up and the jeep started right up!!!! Now to work on the interior and try to get it road ready...
Then who posted answer #26? and got answered in #27 & #28

Tags
crankshaft position , no spark

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.